Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.09
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 03:42
Hi!

I am not an early riser and the nearest test centre is 2.5 hours away. So I thought taking the test in the afternoon(1 pm) would be a good option. Due to office hours (second shift) I used to take my mocks at 11 am and I scored 690,690,680 in the 3 MGMAT mocks that I tried at 11 am .

Yesterday I decided to take a mock on my real scheduled time ( 1pm ) and to my horror I found myself to be too sluggish and managed to get only 650. By the time I finished IR I was feeling too tired. I ended up making too many silly mistakes and messing up my timing in quant section. Also, I got all 5 last questions wrong. In verbal I made another bunch of 5 continous mistakes towards the end and timing was again an issue. In none of the previous tests did I suffer from major timing issues. By the end of each of the 2 sections (last 10 questions) I got so sluggish that I had to read a question several times in order to decipher it's meaning. Apart from the change in time and temperature (It's summer time in India) I did not find any difference between this mock and my previous tests.

I can't reschedule my test and I don't know how to get used to this timing in 2 weeks. I am thinking about taking a big breakfast at 10:30 and skipping lunch on the test day. I've read that eating trail mix and drinking glucose water during the breaks can be helpful. What's ur opinion? what should I do guys?? Please help :cry:
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 12

Re: Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 04:15
Increase your stamina! Do questions in stretches of 1 hour.

I found that bananas, red bull and 100-plus helped me to keep my energy up! It's probably better to have a light lunch and then snacks during the breaks.

Have a good rest and you should be fine. More importantly, try to increase your baseline to above the score that you want.
I did my mock tests in a noisy area and that helped me to train my concentration for the real exam. On the real GMAT, I had totally no problems with concentration and energy!

All the best.
Find out more in my debrief http://gmatclub.com/forum/740-after-5-weeks-of-intensive-prep-171909.html
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 12:07
Expert's post
I'd say a decent size breakfast -- and then a very light snack afterwords. Certainly include a banana in there.

Probably better off skipping lunch and sticking to breakfast and light snacks. Each person is different, but based on what you say, that's what I would recommend. Lastly, keep these tips in mind: http://www.gmatpill.com/about/studying- ... trategies/

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1153

Kudos [?]: 5368 [1] , given: 165

Re: Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!! [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2014, 20:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dp26389 wrote:
Hi!

I am not an early riser and the nearest test centre is 2.5 hours away. So I thought taking the test in the afternoon(1 pm) would be a good option. Due to office hours (second shift) I used to take my mocks at 11 am and I scored 690,690,680 in the 3 MGMAT mocks that I tried at 11 am .

Yesterday I decided to take a mock on my real scheduled time ( 1pm ) and to my horror I found myself to be too sluggish and managed to get only 650. By the time I finished IR I was feeling too tired. I ended up making too many silly mistakes and messing up my timing in quant section. Also, I got all 5 last questions wrong. In verbal I made another bunch of 5 continous mistakes towards the end and timing was again an issue. In none of the previous tests did I suffer from major timing issues. By the end of each of the 2 sections (last 10 questions) I got so sluggish that I had to read a question several times in order to decipher it's meaning. Apart from the change in time and temperature (It's summer time in India) I did not find any difference between this mock and my previous tests.

I can't reschedule my test and I don't know how to get used to this timing in 2 weeks. I am thinking about taking a big breakfast at 10:30 and skipping lunch on the test day. I've read that eating trail mix and drinking glucose water during the breaks can be helpful. What's ur opinion? what should I do guys?? Please help :cry:

Responding to a pm:

Here are my thoughts on this problem:

1. Do not drive down to the test center on your own. Ask someone to drop you or take a cab. Driving is tiring even if you are used to it. Try to catch a small nap (which might be difficult) or wind down during the ride - don't chit chat/play on phone etc. Listen to some relaxing music using your headphones and shut down the outside world. All in all, try to relax yourself as much as possible.

2. You will need a good, healthy breakfast - nothing fried or over the top creamy. Egg sandwich on whole wheat, fruit juice etc. Start taking such a breakfast from tomorrow itself.

3. Eat a light snack before you start the exam - unsweetened breakfast bar, a piece of fruit, some water etc. Whatever you plan to carry to eat that day, make sure you eat that regularly in the next 2 weeks. Also keep some small snacks for the breaks. In drinks, people suggest red bull, coffee, glucose water etc but I feel plain water is the best. Go with whatever works for you.

4. On Sunday, take another practice test simulating exam conditions. You don't need to drive down 2.5 hrs but otherwise do what you intend to do on exam day. Eat and drink exactly as you plan to on exam day and then take the test at 1:00 pm. See if your energy levels are up to the mark. If not, you can come back and we can suggest ways of doing things differently.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Afternoon fatigue...GMAT scheduled in afternoon!!   [#permalink] 05 Jun 2014, 20:31