Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck - Class of 2012
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Again- Ross vs. Fuqua [#permalink]
Kudos
milias wrote:
In terms of Big-3 recruitment for consulting, Ross is better than Fuqua, as in 40 vs. 27. Is that worth 50k? That is up to you.

The fact that 13 more people went to MBB from Ross as opposed to Fuqua doesn't mean its easier to get MBB. It just means they liked 13 people at Ross more, or that those 13 people asked to placed in office where there was more demand, or some other reason pertaining directly to those 13 people.

The most important differentiator is the ability to get access to that company by way of on-campus recruiting. All that matters is getting that first round interview. They will interview a roughly similar number of candidates from both schools, and then the ones they like best overall are compared against similar candidates from both your school and other schools.

You are on your own after the first round interview. If they liked you at Ross, they'll like you at Fuqua.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Kudos
milias wrote:

After figuring in class size, it's 5.9% at Ross and 3.9% at Fuqua.

In which case, you should save yourself about 40k minimum and not go to business school. Your chances of getting into MBB are outside odds at best.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Another point that crossed my mind, do you plan on returning to your original contry? as an international student as well, I often think about that. When returning home, depending on where home is, schools are perceived differently. Also this impact your long term ROI as salaries outside the US tend to be smaller.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
I will be attending Ross but if I were in your position, I'd go to Duke. I had significantly fewer loans after law school than most of my classmates (result of taking a full ride for undergrad over the place I really wanted to go) and it opened up a whole range of possibilities for me, employment-wise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Kudos
Dude 55k is alot of money. Also quick googling shows Fuqua outranks Ross in both usnews and financial times. Not to mention that you prefer Fuqua's location.

Why are you even considering Ross?

As everyone said, take the money and never look back.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I've researched both schools extensively and come to the conclusion that Duke and Michigan are VERY similar. Of course there are SOME differences (Michigan is slightly bigger, has nicer facilities, and is colder. Duke is more female, more international, and more southern/east coast), but in the grand scheme of things none of those differences come remotely close to being worth $50k. If I were in your situation, I'd pick Fuqua in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Fuqua. Graduating in may and going to deloitte.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Wao, Go Ross.

- Much better school
- More diversed

40% **** is Int. student which is kind of looser in the US education system. Cause I hope to get more money from Int.

You will see, of all Int. at least 10-15% are Korean. They are rich and willing to pay !
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
In terms of Big-3 recruitment for consulting, Ross is better than Fuqua, as in 40 vs. 27. Is that worth 50k? That is up to you.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Ginetta wrote:
Take the money at Fuqua. You are going to get interviews at XXXX shops at either school.

:roll:

Action is louder than words. :wink:
Current Student
Send PM
unhedged wrote:
milias wrote:

The fact that 13 more people went to MBB from Ross as opposed to Fuqua doesn't mean its easier to get MBB. It just means they liked 13 people at Ross more, or that those 13 people asked to placed in office where there was more demand, or some other reason pertaining directly to those 13 people.

The most important differentiator is the ability to get access to that company by way of on-campus recruiting. All that matters is getting that first round interview. They will interview a roughly similar number of candidates from both schools, and then the ones they like best overall are compared against similar candidates from both your school and other schools.

You are on your own after the first round interview. If they liked you at Ross, they'll like you at Fuqua.

Well, I just gave some hard numbers. It's open to interpretation, and the OP is free to take it how ever he/she wants. Really not looking to turn this into a Ross vs. Fuqua thing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all thoughts.

Ross also has a bigger class, so they should have more people go into the big companies- simply because they have more numbers...

Any other thoughts?
Current Student
Send PM
gtb2009 wrote:
Thanks for all thoughts.

Ross also has a bigger class, so they should have more people go into the big companies- simply because they have more numbers...

Any other thoughts?

After figuring in class size, it's 5.9% at Ross and 3.9% at Fuqua. That said, it's hard to compare these two numbers, because it also depends on how many people at each school are seeking M/B/B employment, and personally I don't have that information.

You may also want to take geography into account. Ross is a big feeder to Chicago; I'm not too sure about Duke, but I'd assume the mid-Atlantic region.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Ross is a slightly stronger brand and also has a bigger network, but the difference between the two is not enough to outweigh a large scholarship from Duke. Honestly, you cannot bank on the probability of securing a internship/offer from MBB from any school, recruiting for those positions is just that tough. Your chances are the same from both schools, if you get an interview, it's on you from there on out. I would personally take on less debt knowing that if I get a position at MBB, great, I can enjoy more of my money, and if I get a position at another top MC firm but not MBB, I may have a lower starting salary, but at least I have $55k less debt to worry about and will still enjoy more of my paycheck than the others who got MBB offers with 100k of debt.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Send PM
milias wrote:
Well, I just gave some hard numbers. It's open to interpretation, and the OP is free to take it how ever he/she wants. Really not looking to turn this into a Ross vs. Fuqua thing.

Yea I wasn't looking to do it either, sorry if I came on too strong about it. I loved both schools (though Fuqua didn't love me back) and researched them both thoroughly, so I really wanted to convey that both schools are awesome.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
milias wrote:

After figuring in class size, it's 5.9% at Ross and 3.9% at Fuqua.

In which case, you should save yourself about 40k minimum and not go to business school. Your chances of getting into MBB are outside odds at best.

Eh, not really. Let's call it a 5% shot at either school but that's only out of the kids who want to go into consulting (say, maybe 40%). Now the chances are more like 10-15%. Still low but it doens't end there. You have to figure that since the consolation prize could be a good position at a less prestigous firm, it is still worth going for lots of people.

Anyway, I think Ross has a slightly better rep. but not enough to overcome $55k. In my mind, you are looking at the 9-12th school and the 10-13th school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Booth Class of 2012
Send PM
I would take the $ in this scenario. Both are really good schools, location and fit are not a deciding factor. At Fuqua you might be ahead of the pack getting that 1st round interview. I started crunching some ROI numbers and that much less debt looks too good to pass.

Another thing you might want to consider is where you want to work after you graduate. Statistically Ross is stronger in the Midwest than Fuqua and vice versa. This is not a determing factor by any means, you can always be among the exceptions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2