Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

a) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels

b) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels

c) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

d) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

e) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 00:40
bsd_lover wrote:
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

a) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels

b) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels

c) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

d) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels

e) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

A

For me, meaning of B and E is awkward.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 07:57
A
B and D distort the meaning.
C and E are too wordy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 08:22
E fits better than A .
What is the source ?

In A the emphasis is on writing novels while travels parallels with the model hotel . There is an error with pronoun reference as well.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
A vs E

In A we have so called "Possessive Poison" situation when subject pronoun (second "her") refers back to the possessive pronoun.

Consider an example:
Wrong: Jose's room is somessy that his (Jose's) mother calls him (Jose) a pig.
Correct: Jose's room is somessy that his (Jose's) mother calls Jose a pig.

Back to our question:
Wrong: a) Agatha Christie's travels with her (Agatha Christie's) archaeologist husband inspired her (Agatha Christie) to write several mystery novels
Would be correct: a) Agatha Christie's travels with her (Agatha Christie's) archaeologist husband inspired Agatha Christie to write several mystery novels

therefore, the answer is E.

Last edited by snaps on 04 May 2008, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 11:21
WoW! question. bsd_lover. +1
Cannot decide between A & E. still thinking..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 14:47
Agree with E and snaps as E can be rewritten as below

Agatha Christie's travels with her(Agatha Christie's) archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her(Agatha Christie's) mystery novels
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 17:19
snaps wrote:
A vs E

In A we have so called "Possessive Poison" situation when subject pronoun (second "her") refers back to the possessive pronoun.

Consider an example:
Wrong: Jose's room is somessy that his (Jose's) mother calls him (Jose) a pig.
Correct: Jose's room is somessy that his (Jose's) mother calls Jose a pig.

Back to our question:
Wrong: a) Agatha Christie's travels with her (Agatha Christie's) archaeologist husband inspired her (Agatha Christie) to write several mystery novels
Would be correct: a) Agatha Christie's travels with her (Agatha Christie's) archaeologist husband inspired Agatha Christie to write several mystery novels

therefore, the answer is E.

Thanks snaps,
Your reasoning definitely persuaded me E should be OA. Yesterday, I paid my attention only to the first "her", not to the second "her". So, I thought pronoun "her" here is correct.

Thanks again!

I think BSD_lover should raise my score to 3/5. :lol: :lol: :lol:
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:00
hahah .. the OA is indeed E. I have the full OE and will post it if enough people request it.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:05
bsd_lover wrote:
hahah .. the OA is indeed E. I have the full OE and will post it if enough people request it.

Enough is 1 and 1 is enough! :-D
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:16
I liked snaps explanation.

Anyways my query is will gmat check missing article errors.

Ideally e should have been Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as an inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Not having the " an " made me think e is wrong and a is correct.

Anyways looks like the error is not tested....
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 18:24
This question is from MGMAT test 1. Its rated at level 700-800, so don't feel bad for getting it wrong (I got it wrong during the test too).

OE

This sentence has a pronoun agreement error. Subject and object pronouns cannot refer back to possessive nouns; they must refer only to subject and object nouns. The subject in this sentence is "Agatha Christie's travels," not Agatha Christie herself. The first instance of "her" is correct because this pronoun is used as a possessive: "her [Agatha Christie's] archaeologist husband." However, the second instance of "her," an object pronoun, is incorrect: "inspired her [Agatha Christie, who is not an object in this sentence] to write..."

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) This choice illogically states that the travels inspired the novels themselves, rather than inspiring Christie to write the novels.

(C) This choice introduces a false cause-effect statement. The original meaning indicates that Christie traveled because her husband was an archaeologist. According to this choice, however, Christie used their travels as inspiration because her husband was an archaeologist, which is clearly illogical.

(D) This choice seems to indicate that Christie and her husband were inspired to write the novels together. This cannot be the case because this choice also clearly states that they are "her mystery novels," not both of theirs.

(E) CORRECT. This choice corrects the original pronoun agreement error by moving the second instance of "her" in front of "mystery novels," which changes it from an object pronoun to a possessive pronoun: "Agatha Christie's travels...her [Agatha Christie's] mystery novels..."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 10 May 2008, 20:52
bsd. +1 to you.
Good explanation. And to think I read about this very agreement trap on the MGMAT SC book only to forget it promptly.
:shock:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Agatha Christie [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2008, 09:49
This sentence has a pronoun agreement error. Subject and object pronouns cannot refer back to possessive nouns; they must refer only to subject and object nouns. The subject in this sentence is "Agatha Christie's travels," not Agatha Christie herself. The first instance of "her" is correct because this pronoun is used as a possessive: "her [Agatha Christie's] archaeologist husband." However, the second instance of "her," an object pronoun, is incorrect: "inspired her [Agatha Christie, who is not an object in this sentence] to write..."

This is one question i found in SC1000 which actually specifies that it is ok for object , subject pronoun to possessive noun.

Frances Wright’s book on America contrasted the republicanism of the United States with what she saw as the aristocratic and corrupt institutions of England.
(A) with what she saw as
(B) with that which she saw to be
(C) to that she saw being
(D) and that which she saw as
(E) and what she saw to be

The correct answer for my above question is A. "She" here refers to Frances Wrights' book.
This is ok in gmat it seems.

So how come A is wrong here. am i making any sense ?

Chandra
Re: SC - Agatha Christie   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2008, 09:49