Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 00:43
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:01) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 9 sessions
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

A) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels
B) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
C) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
D) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
E) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 380 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 01:04
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 01:45
Between A and E, E seems better, I don't like the second "her" in A, but not sure why
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels.

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 21

Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 01:51
sudeep wrote:
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.

A) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels
B) Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
C) Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
D) Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
E) Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Tough one.

B is out. As 'used' gives wrong perception.
C is out. Awkward & wordy construction.

Now, this is what I think -
After reading the first sentence, I though it does not make any sense. Underlined part talks about the 'inspiration from travels' & the remaining part talks about a hotel that was part of her novel.

Two halves of sentences are not connected by anything. As second part talks about 'an old hotel included in a novel', first sentence should talk about 'inclusion of archaeological sites in novel' rather than inspiration. A mere inspiration to write a mystery novel does not suggest that she has included any information about 'archaeological sites'.

So, Option A & E are out.

D -> It suggests that Christie has included her husband & their travels in the book. Though, construction of sentence is not very good, I think this is the answer.

If this is wrong, then I would go with 'A'.

Am I correct ?

I am ready to fall, but not before I fly.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 02:00
This post received
KUDOS
Well, here is the information from Manhattan SC
Possessive nouns are particularly dangerous on GMAT.
e.g.
Jose's room is so messy that his mother calls him a pig.
The possessive noun in the sentence is Jose's. Possessive pronouns can refer to back possessive nouns, such as, possessive pronoun "his" here refers back to possessive noun Jose's. However, subject and object pronouns may not refer to back to possessive nouns.Therefore the object pronoun "him" is used incorrectly, because it may not refer to back to Jose's. "Him" would be only accurate if it refered back to the word Jose.

I think we have the same situation in the question posted by sudeep. Second "her" here may refer to Agatha Christie's travels, which is possessive noun and thus violates rhe rule explained above.

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 02:03
This post received
KUDOS
A is out and remains E, what's OA?

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 175 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 02:22
OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Natia, Bang on target!!:)
Nice Explanation!
Issue tested here is the usage of possessive pronouns.
OA is E

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Director
Director
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 380 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 03:00
Natia wrote:
Well, here is the information from Manhattan SC
Possessive nouns are particularly dangerous on GMAT.
e.g.
Jose's room is so messy that his mother calls him a pig.
The possessive noun in the sentence is Jose's. Possessive pronouns can refer to back possessive nouns, such as, possessive pronoun "his" here refers back to possessive noun Jose's. However, subject and object pronouns may not refer to back to possessive nouns.Therefore the object pronoun "him" is used incorrectly, because it may not refer to back to Jose's. "Him" would be only accurate if it refered back to the word Jose.

I think we have the same situation in the question posted by sudeep. Second "her" here may refer to Agatha Christie's travels, which is possessive noun and thus violates rhe rule explained above.

Great! Agree with you.

My only confusion with option E was use of noun "inspiration", whereas option A uses verb "inspired". Though use of verb is a preferred way, but then there is this error of possessive pronouns in option A.
Kudos to you.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 03:37
sudeep
bigoyal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: Agatha Christie (nice question) [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 05:26
Another common mistake to note in option A is the usage of active verb inspired. Travels inspired Agatha Christie - this isn't right. Travels cannot inspire somebody. One can be inspired by travels ( which becomes passive ) or as it is put together in Option E travels can serve as an inspiration.

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband [#permalink] New post 13 May 2014, 10:42
Also, consider the subtle meaning difference between A and E. In A: "Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels": did Agatha begin her career because of her travels? This small issue is resolved by E which mentions that the travels served as an inspiration for several of her novels.
Re: Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband   [#permalink] 13 May 2014, 10:42