Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 13:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I am 30 today. I just gave my GMAT and scored a 720. I missed round2 deadlines and I plan on applying for Fall 2014 now.
I will be 30 when I apply for early rounds in August/September but I will be 31 at matriculation. Am I too old?

Undergrad GPA in engineering from CMU (top 10)- 2.8
Grad GPA from a local school- 3.7 (Part-time while working full-time over 5 years)
Exp - 8 yrs in Engineering

Target Schools:
INSEAD, LSB, Duke,Ross.

Are there other schools I should consider?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 124 [1] , given: 80

Re: Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations on the great GMAT score! And no, you're not too old or too late. The biggest reason why the over-30 crowd sometimes struggles with MBA admissions is that their work experience is often too specialized, and an MBA just isn't the best fit for many of them. Some adcoms like 'em young, but most adcoms have absolutely nothing against 30+ applicants. It's just that relatively few of them have a compelling reason to get an MBA, and many of them are unlikely to fit into conventional post-MBA jobs.

If you're worried about the age thing, check out http://mbaover30.com/. The blogger has done just fine despite his age, and he has some really interesting posts about the challenges of applying to business school as an older applicant.

I don't know enough about your profile to start recommending schools--it mostly depends on what, exactly, you're trying to achieve through an MBA. I'm guessing that you're female (unless Monika is just an alias?), and that helps enormously. Adcoms really aren't interested in age discrimination, and if you're a strong enough candidate (i.e. with a compelling career vision, great leadership experience, strong career progression, good community involvement, maybe some diversity bonus points somewhere), age won't play all that much of a role.

I hope this helps. Congrats again on the 720!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 22:38
I think the average age at matriculation for Fuqua is 29. I am also 30 - b-day was a week ago :( - but I wouldn't fret.

Best of luck
Director
Director
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 6

Re: Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late? [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 01:43
monikajudd wrote:
I am 30 today. I just gave my GMAT and scored a 720. I missed round2 deadlines and I plan on applying for Fall 2014 now.
I will be 30 when I apply for early rounds in August/September but I will be 31 at matriculation. Am I too old?

Undergrad GPA in engineering from CMU (top 10)- 2.8
Grad GPA from a local school- 3.7 (Part-time while working full-time over 5 years)
Exp - 8 yrs in Engineering

Target Schools:
INSEAD, LSB, Duke,Ross.

Are there other schools I should consider?

Hi monikajudd,

1. Choice of good schools to apply - B-Schools you have selected are good. I would also suggest you to apply into ISB, INSEAD, top 50 US B-Schools with 2 year programs as well.
2. No, there is no specific age for pursuing MBA. You can easily get into a good bschool with your current profile.
3. The positioning of the profile has to be done aptly. Hard sell or easy sell depends a lot on how you position yourself and how well are you prepared to answer the difficult questions.
4. Take up a leadership role or involve yourself in something outside your work that leads to a significant impact on your environment.

I would suggest you to work hard on essays and recommendation. A good application and a good interview can certainly offset the other parameters. So, the next step for you is to focus more on your essays and interview.

It is advisable to take assistance from a professional consultant for essays and interview. To know more about ISB Interview experiences visit http://www.general-ed.com/ISB-interview-experienceand INSEAD interview experiences visit http://www.general-ed.com/insead-interview-tips

You can also have a free Profile evaluation/Free Consulting either telephonic or on Skype. Would be glad to help more on phone.

Please feel free to reach out for any discussion.

You will also be glad to know that General Ed team has also helped candidates get admitted to top B-Schools. For more similar stories visit
http://www.general-ed.com/testimonials
Regards
Neha Singh

Best Wishes,
Neha Singh
GMAT Instructor & MBA Application Consultant
General Education- Empowering Intellect

Try GMAT Mini Diagnostic tool

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 560 [0], given: 30

Re: Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late? [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 03:35
Expert's post
Don't worry about it dude.. You're not too old. You are on the older side yes.. but still average at most schools hangs at about 27-28, so it really shouldn't make to much of a difference (except perhaps be to your benefit for your extra experience, and your better stories). I'm sure you should consider other schools, as 4 is a bit little, and three of them are very tough. As for which ones, we'd have to get to know you a whole lot better to say anything wise here - to know more about you, who you are, what you want, what you've done, what kind of weather you like.. you know everything!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Age:30, GMAT:720. Too Old/Late?   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2013, 03:35