Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 04:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Age and profile at INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Age and profile at INSEAD [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 05:43
Hi There

I live in France and I am considering applying to INSEAD September 2010 intake. I am 34 almost 35. GMAT taken three times: 430/560/700. I have studied english and spanish as majors and then applied this linguistic knowledge to business. I have almost 10 years experience in IT as Sales. I have started as a junior salesrep and ended Sales Director for Europe, Africa and Middle East with strong managerial and leadership roles. I have always achieved or overachieved my targets. I either built markets from scratch or made existing countries become cash cows for companies I have worked for.

The main reason why I want an MBA now is because I can now make a big difference between being a leader and being a manager. I believe my roles so far were more focused and only focused on getting the sales done. I am kinda of fed up with just being the guy who closes deals. I want to be able to have a more strategic vision on how a company can increase sales: i would like to get the salesreps to execute my sales strategy.

So my problem today is wether INSEAD will consider my application or not because of my age. They have already told me my profile looks great but my age is a handicap. They also suggested the Exec MBA which I do not want to do. How do you guys think I should orientate my application to make my profile more acceptable even though I am really older than the average at INSEAD?

Do you think it is worth applying anyway? I do not want to spend time on the essays and being told I have a great profile but no thanks you re too old.

Thanks very much for your help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 356 [0], given: 66

Re: Age and profile at INSEAD [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 23:24
Expert's post
gmatyanis wrote:
Hi There

I live in France and I am considering applying to INSEAD September 2010 intake. I am 34 almost 35. GMAT taken three times: 430/560/700. I have studied english and spanish as majors and then applied this linguistic knowledge to business. I have almost 10 years experience in IT as Sales. I have started as a junior salesrep and ended Sales Director for Europe, Africa and Middle East with strong managerial and leadership roles. I have always achieved or overachieved my targets. I either built markets from scratch or made existing countries become cash cows for companies I have worked for.

The main reason why I want an MBA now is because I can now make a big difference between being a leader and being a manager. I believe my roles so far were more focused and only focused on getting the sales done. I am kinda of fed up with just being the guy who closes deals. I want to be able to have a more strategic vision on how a company can increase sales: i would like to get the salesreps to execute my sales strategy.

So my problem today is wether INSEAD will consider my application or not because of my age. They have already told me my profile looks great but my age is a handicap. They also suggested the Exec MBA which I do not want to do. How do you guys think I should orientate my application to make my profile more acceptable even though I am really older than the average at INSEAD?

Do you think it is worth applying anyway? I do not want to spend time on the essays and being told I have a great profile but no thanks you re too old.

Thanks very much for your help.

If you are being discouraged by INSEADfrom applying to the regular MBA and encouraged to apply to the EMBA, I would take that advice very seriously. Several years ago INSEAD was quite specific that 35 was a cut-off.

Consider the Sloan Fellows programs (LBS, Stanford, or MIT), the Trium program, or IMD.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog