Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Age deters from 2 Year Program ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Age deters from 2 Year Program ? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 05:30
Hi ,

The background:
MBA,Engg Degree in Electronics,Post MBA Exp of 6 years.Working with Fortune 500 Company in Sales.(1 1/2 years of exp with Automatic Data Capturing Company -India+ 4 1/2 years in Retail Sales

I am planning a second MBA to further my career in Marketing/Consulting.

I am considering the following B Schools :
LBS,ISB,Oxford (Not Sure).

Now I will be turning 33 yrs next year so is it a 'quality decision ' to also consider top notch US B School also.
The point that is troubling me is that I will be 35 yrs when I pass out -how good will be the job prospects.(I know this is a subjective question ,I need some pointers to finally decide on this issue).
The financial burden a Top Notch B-School (I am interested in top B Schools only) is big,hence I am not sure to commit forward.

Assumptions: Kindly make assumptions that my GMAT,Essays and other factors are good enough to get through.(I see this problem from Age (Job prospects at 35 years) and Financial burden associated with it angle 0nly)
Do you have any specific B schools in your mind that I should apply in US.

Suithink

Last edited by suithink on 11 Jul 2006, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 14:17
Expert's post
Your age will raise some eyebrows, but as lon gas your "Why MBA?" story is strong, you can get into a top b-school.

However, I don't have enough info to go on here to recommend any specific schools, beyond the ones you listed!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

The Schools [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2006, 17:41
thanks for the response.
I would like to add the following information :
Interested in a Career in Marketing/Consulting.I have exp in automatic data capturing(ADC) + Retail exp .I would look post MBA for companies in say RFID/ADC/Energy/Consulting/FMCGs/CP
CommunityService :I have good noteworthy prizes at school ,College level.Sports at College level.Overall involved in a number of activities.
Also at present take classes at college of engg. based on SC's Principle centred leadership.(w/o any remuneration).Can this be taken as Community Service?
I plan to apply for R2.

Can u recommend a few B Schools taking into factor (1) My interests (2) Employabity (considering my age factor) (3) ROI.?
And can u give ur opinion on my Profile for admissions to these B Schools?
Thanks

Last edited by suithink on 11 Jul 2006, 08:41, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2006, 08:29
Expert's post
Hmm, I'm not sure if you have enough here to stand out in terms of community service / extracurriculars. I don't think those classes would count. You really want to be able to show how you've made an impact with some group in some way. Right now I don't see that, given the info you've provided.

Also, your age is less of a concern for me than the fact that you already have an MBA. As I mentioned before, you will really need to explain yourself well in the "Why an MBA now?" question, especially given the fact that you already hold an MBA. Think about some executive education programs (like Kellogg or Wharton) if what you're really after is to have a U.S. school on your resume.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

A Closure [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2006, 22:27
Hi,

I am clear in mind that I need only FT MBA not EMBA as I am interested to work in a different industry (as given above.).Hence I wanted your views from that perspective.
The Q in my mind is that other than those UK schools given above which Schools may see my application as strong (provided of course my 'Why MBA' answer is 'sensible'.).For e.g will Kellogg's 1 year program will defintely help me.....? in terms of getting placement as Kellogg 1 year's objective 'seems' to be not helping in placements 'as in 2 year MBA.
Like Kellogg any other Top 1 year can u suggest....Or can I still consider 2year at Top schools..If so please recommend which of those Schools I can consider.(please consider your choices based on my previous posts)
Thank you,
suithink
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2006, 09:29
The fact that you already have an MBA is a significant limiter. You should check with your target schools and make sure that they would even consider your app. In most cases, they probably will not.

http://www.mbagameplan.com