Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Age Limit on Full time MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2012, 12:41
I am 32 years old, engineering graduate. Planning to take full time MBA to advance in my career. Is this a good age to think about MBA? Is Full time MBA is better than Evening/Week end MBA. I want to get into Booth because I am from Chicago, I don’t have to move my family.

I pursue full time what are good schools take 30+. Please advise, thank you for your time.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 15:18
Expert's post
Even though the average age for MBA applicants for most schools is 27-28 , you are still not too old for MBA. As for choosing between part- time and full time program , do what works best for you. The good news for you is that Booth MBA diploma does not specify if you did full time or part time MBA. Therefore, if evening or weekend program works best for you keeping in mind your family and job commitments, go ahead with it.

I hope it helped.

MyEssayReview - A personalized and dedicated essay-review service
Email:poonam@myessayreview.com

Image Image Image

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 19:54
Poonamtandon wrote:
Even though the average age for MBA applicants for most schools is 27-28 , you are still not too old for MBA. As for choosing between part- time and full time program , do what works best for you. The good news for you is that Booth MBA diploma does not specify if you did full time or part time MBA. Therefore, if evening or weekend program works best for you keeping in mind your family and job commitments, go ahead with it.

I hope it helped.

Thank you for your advise.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.75
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 21:21
I am former military and I am looking to enter a full time MBA program at 36-37. What challenges will I face being a older prospective student?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 12

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
@MBAseeker1: I know of atleast 2 people who are enrolled in a top MBA and are 35 years old. Although entering at 36 is really really pushing it, but try to use ur age (and experience) to your advantage. I know it's easier said than done btw. But it can be done if you have a tight story. Best of Luck!
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 08:19
MBASEEKER1 wrote:
I am former military and I am looking to enter a full time MBA program at 36-37. What challenges will I face being a older prospective student?

The main challenges that older applicants face in MBA admissions is 1) being too far along in their careers for a FT MBA to make sense and 2) being stuck in a dead end career. I do not believe there is an inherent bias against older applicants simply because of age. If you are just now coming out of the military this is actually the perfect time to pursue an MBA. The onus will be on you to communicate "Why MBA and why now?" but you shouldn't have too difficult a time doing so given your circumstances.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 18:20
Expert's post
32 or 35 isn’t too old for a FT MBA. I have people in my class who were in their 40s. However, the older classmates were sponsored by their companies to return to a senior management position. The issue with going into a FT MBA program in the mid-30s is that most post-MBA jobs are looking for people between 2-7 years of experience. On the higher end of that range, you can go for the leadership development programs, on the lower end, you can go for investment banking and consulting jobs. If you already have 12-17 years of experience, most of the post-MBA jobs isn’t really suited for you. LDPs are looking to develop leadership pipeline 15-20 years down the road, at which point, you may be retiring. The lifestyle in investment banking or consulting is usually too rigorously for someone in the late 30s, plus you may be too old for the MD or partner track.

Diversity

Re: Age Limit on Full time MBA   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2012, 18:20