Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Age limit to join MBB?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests
Age limit to join MBB? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 04:54
Is it true that the top tier MC's, particularly MBB have started introducing an age cap off on their recruits from business schools. i.e. MBB don't hire MBA grads over a certain age say 28 or something anymore.

This seems a little bit bizarre as folk start business schools at different points of their career. Someone from a non-traditional background probably has more work ex. under their belt and is hence slightly older.

I'm planning to apply for B schools in fall 2014- would be 27 by the time I start matriculating and would miss out on a chance to work at an MC if this is true. This seems a bit unfair.

I just wanted to gauge everyone else's thoughts on authenticity of this and can something like this actually come into effect in the future?
Goizueta Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Age limit to join MBB? [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:47
I don't think that is true. I have seen plenty of people with 6-9 years of prior work experience who now work at MBB. I think it depends on personal preference. Most guys in their 30's, or late 20's for that matter, have families and they don't want to spend too much time away from home. Instead, they may take a simple corporate finance job that allows them to work close to home in a simple 9-5 schedule.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Age limit to join MBB? [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 16:15
Expert's post
ZoSoKM wrote:
Is it true that the top tier MC's, particularly MBB have started introducing an age cap off on their recruits from business schools. i.e. MBB don't hire MBA grads over a certain age say 28 or something anymore.

This seems a little bit bizarre as folk start business schools at different points of their career. Someone from a non-traditional background probably has more work ex. under their belt and is hence slightly older.

I'm planning to apply for B schools in fall 2014- would be 27 by the time I start matriculating and would miss out on a chance to work at an MC if this is true. This seems a bit unfair.

I just wanted to gauge everyone else's thoughts on authenticity of this and can something like this actually come into effect in the future?

It's illegal to discriminate on age. However, in practice, I don't think consulting (not just MBB) pulls in many fresh MBA level consultants after mid-30s. It's partly due to the applicant demographics. At mid-30s, people typically do not want the consulting lifestyle. Partly, I don't think the career progression is there for mid-30 hires, so consulting company don't bother. A post-MBA age of 29 should be right in the sweet spot of entry MBA hires.

Diversity

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBB
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [2] , given: 0

Re: Age limit to join MBB? [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2013, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
As McKinsey and BCG alumni, we can say that the firms absolutely do not have a preference for how old you are when you apply.

That said, you often find that most of the people who end up at MBB post b-school are in the 27-32 range. That's a function of 1)the overall demographics of the age range at top schools, and 2) the older you are, the more likely you are to have a family; and many people with families self-select out of the demanding consulting lifestyle.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Age limit to join MBB? [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 03:19
Thanks for the replies guys. Haven't visited these forums for a whille, hence the late response...
Re: Age limit to join MBB?   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2013, 03:19