Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Agonizing over Boston University VS. Boston College.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 40

Agonizing over Boston University VS. Boston College. [#permalink] New post 22 May 2014, 08:03
Alright, so I'm trying to decide between Boston University and Boston College.

With Boston College I like their curriculum better; I want to end up in investment management, and they have a specific asset management curriculum that is VERY intricate and deep. During the application process they also made me feel more welcome/wanted than any other program. Issues started to arrive after this however. Now, I already have a master's from BC, I enjoyed the campus/environment. I had a 3.8 in that program. My GMAT is a 730, their average is a 670. I have a few extra years management/work experience as well, beyond their average. I also interviewed well, I thought. I figured I was in line for a pretty hefty scholarship. Instead I got wait-listed. Their suggestions are to get extra recommendations, retake the GMATs, or show them more transcripts. The last two were clearly out since I exceeded their averages, and my recommendations got me full scholarships from other programs. I wrote a letter detailing my qualifications again, and why I thought I was a great candidate. I heard back a week later that I had been admitted, with a half scholarship. I began communicating with them again, asking to reconsider for a larger scholarship. Eventually they agreed, and now I have a full scholarship.

In the meantime, Boston University had already accepted me and offered me a full scholarship. From the very day I was admitted they have communicated with me constantly about upcoming opportunities to meet fellow classmates, current students, faculty, etc. They have had sponsored events to get the community together, including a full weekend event where we got to meet the career services people, faculty, etc. and I've gotten to meet a ton of people from the program, all of whom have made me feel welcome. BC doesn't really do anything like this; I contacted them and asked. They did say there are student orgs that occasionally do things, which is nice, but the program itself doesn't sponsor/hold/organize anything. Also a factor, when BC was hemming and hawing I put in a $1000 deposit to BU.

So now I'm torn; During the application process BC was great, I really saw myself going there, and I love the curriculum, it's EXACTLY what I want (assuming I don't change my mind while in the program). I felt so welcomed, and it seemed like the whole admissions office knew my name. Since then though it was like pulling teeth to get in, and get a competitive offer. BU on the other hand has a curriculum that is good, but I just prefer BCs. However, they have been amazing ever since the interview, and I feel like they've gone the extra mile to let me know I'm a wanted member of their community, and they've done great in helping everyone meet & mix before classes. I'm stuck.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Agonizing over Boston University VS. Boston College. [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 18:37
I got the same impression from BU. My deposit for BU is due in one week and I am equally torn between the two schools. BU's process felt more personalized and they definitely did more to "woo" me. They have a student reception coming up too. On the other hand, Boston College just sent me a standard acceptance email and directed me to their website. Nonetheless, BC has a great program and I don't want to let the admissions procedure influence me too much because really it's the quality of the program and the professors that're important. In the end BC has a slightly better program for what I am interested in and it's slightly cheaper to boot so may end up with BC.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 40

Re: Agonizing over Boston University VS. Boston College. [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 10:01
sailhard22 wrote:
I got the same impression from BU. My deposit for BU is due in one week and I am equally torn between the two schools. BU's process felt more personalized and they definitely did more to "woo" me. They have a student reception coming up too. On the other hand, Boston College just sent me a standard acceptance email and directed me to their website. Nonetheless, BC has a great program and I don't want to let the admissions procedure influence me too much because really it's the quality of the program and the professors that're important. In the end BC has a slightly better program for what I am interested in and it's slightly cheaper to boot so may end up with BC.

I ended up going with BU. I already had the 1000 in there. I like BC's curriculum slightly more, but it came down to the reaction I was getting from each school. As you noted it's the quality of program and profs that are important. Both programs are ranked well; some rankings have BU ranked significantly higher, but again for the field I am looking in BC may be slightly better ranked. As a career changer though I am looking for a program that is going to be supportive. With BC once I got waitlisted (which when you look at my application NEVER should have happened), everything was like pulling teeth. Trying to get in, then once they took me getting them to up the scholarship. Getting information was a pain too. They DO have an admitted students website that has some good information on it, but for a program that doesn't accept a lot of students there was surprisingly little interaction. I actually inquired as to when they would be having an admitted students weekend/day/etc. and was shocked when they told me that they don't do anything of that nature. Every other program I looked at does. I heard from BU alumnae, current students, career services, admissions, and student services, all within a week of getting in. I continued to hear from them on a weekly basis. I JUST heard from my first BC current student this past week, and it was the first time I've heard from anyone at the school. To me that shows that BU is going to be more supportive and a greater aid once classes actually begin, and ultimately that's what made up my mind. I'm actually somewhat shocked, when I set out down this path last year and was reviewing programs I figured I'd be going to BC; I absolutely love their curriculum, and during applications they were the most welcoming school. But since I got waitlisted the whole thing was a very cold contrast, and I could envision myself at some point down the road saying to myself "I should have KNOWN things would be this difficult, look how much of a pain it was after I got in just getting basic information from them".

I hope you make a decision that you're happy with, and that results in the best fit for you.
Re: Agonizing over Boston University VS. Boston College.   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 10:01