Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Agriculture Background in MBA Programs.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Agriculture Background in MBA Programs. [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2013, 19:33
I come from the ag/commodities sector, and perhaps I am missing something obvious or I am looking in the wrong places, but I am astounded at the lack of anyone else in similar or related fields in places such as this. I expected ag to be less represented than finance, IT, banking, etc (KC is less glamorous than NYC); but I have yet to find one other person on this board with a similar background. Is there any particular reason for this? Most people are not aware but the Pioneers, ADMs, Cargills, Scoulars, Dows, Louis Dreyfuses, Bunges, etc are some of the largest companies on earth, and directly or indirectly, feed the world.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Agriculture Background in MBA Programs. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 00:46
Hey, I just saw your message and I tend to agree with you about the agro sector being less represented than others in MBA programs . I am also from one of those companies that you mention in your list and this question intrigues me as well. Few reasons that I can think of:

1. Probably most people who are in agro commodities are already deeply involved in the business side of the company.. also most MBA grads from top b schools in agro companies are into corporate strategy, finance related roles, I see that most traders are reluclant to take up such roles and more enjoy the day to day activities in tandem with the markets.

2. MBA programs reluctant to take people with agro commodity backround? I really hope that is not the case..

Cheers !
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 66

Re: Agriculture Background in MBA Programs. [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 23:01
Expert's post
easymover wrote:
I come from the ag/commodities sector, and perhaps I am missing something obvious or I am looking in the wrong places, but I am astounded at the lack of anyone else in similar or related fields in places such as this. I expected ag to be less represented than finance, IT, banking, etc (KC is less glamorous than NYC); but I have yet to find one other person on this board with a similar background. Is there any particular reason for this? Most people are not aware but the Pioneers, ADMs, Cargills, Scoulars, Dows, Louis Dreyfuses, Bunges, etc are some of the largest companies on earth, and directly or indirectly, feed the world.

Appreciate any insight anyone may have.

Cheers,

I don't know why agri business is not more represented on the board, but to the extent it's not well-represented in the applicant pool, you will have an advantage as long as you have had real business experience.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog