Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 20:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

AGSM in Australia?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
AGSM in Australia? [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2007, 21:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,

Does anyone know about AGSM in Australia? I have heard that it's the best school in Australia and good if you want to live and work in Australia only but it doesn't have any significant international ranking.

I will be getting Australian Permanent Residency (which is equivalent to a Green Card in US e.g.) and want to work in Australia later on.

Would it be advantageous to get my MBA from a top MBA school in Australia or getting a degree from a known US school would be more useful if I only want to work in Australia later on.

Anyone from Australia or with more information on Australian business schools.

Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: AGSM in Australia? [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 05:57
Excellent question.

Since I am from Sydney, let me attempt to answer your questions.

AGSM is not harvards, but it certainly holds its own when it comes to world rankings, often ranked within the top 50 in the world.

I attended an AGSM party a few years ago and the guys (and gals) there were absolutely brilliant. There was a great mix of people from all over the world including people from germany, france , US , and of course Australia and Asia (China and India being the main representation).

The cost is extremely low when compared to the American MBAs. The full tuition only costs 52K AUD (compared to around 90 - 100 K in the American universities).

The placement rate within Australia and throughout the Asia region is great. So if you want to keep working in Australia, AGSM is fantastic, I wouldn't look elsewhere. The only other MBA that can compare is the one from Melbourne Business School. But then who wants to go to freezing Melbourne, when you can live five minutes away from Coogee beach while attending AGSM ;)

One word of warning though, the term begins in January so start cracking on those applications soon.

cheers.

financeguy wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anyone know about AGSM in Australia? I have heard that it's the best school in Australia and good if you want to live and work in Australia only but it doesn't have any significant international ranking.

I will be getting Australian Permanent Residency (which is equivalent to a Green Card in US e.g.) and want to work in Australia later on.

Would it be advantageous to get my MBA from a top MBA school in Australia or getting a degree from a known US school would be more useful if I only want to work in Australia later on.

Anyone from Australia or with more information on Australian business schools.

Thanks
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2007, 18:07
Thanks bsd_lover,

My dilemma is that I love Sydney and at the same time it's tough to give up on Ivy league dream so very confused so far.

I had a chat with AGSM dean and their admission team during an orientation session and they were impressed with my profile and I was invited to come to school and sit in the classes for a day to get a better feel of their school.

Going to US means starting a life from all over again and I have heard *horror* stories of people staying on work visa for 5-6 years before they can get permanent resident status etc. so I guess AGSM seems like a better option from that point of view.

Another consideration is that I have around 5 years work experience and after an MBA, I would be interested in a somewhat middle management position and it's very difficult to find one in Australia as most multinationals here report into Singapore/Asia and if you are bright and doing well, you anyways have to move out of Australia within a few years. From that perspective, Insead or GSB Chicago Singapore MBA wouldn't be a bad option.

Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 02:03
I have heard that if you have an Australian PR , then getting jobs should not be difficult agter MBA.
AGSM and MBS are certainly the best choices in Australia. I'm plannig to apply to both these schools.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2007, 02:25
trahul4 wrote:
I have heard that if you have an Australian PR , then getting jobs should not be difficult agter MBA.
AGSM and MBS are certainly the best choices in Australia. I'm plannig to apply to both these schools.

That's correct. Australia has a very good job market compared with UK and US.

What's your background?
  [#permalink] 03 Sep 2007, 02:25