Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

aichdee's profile. Appreciate feedback!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

aichdee's profile. Appreciate feedback! [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2008, 14:41
Hello everyone,

I know I don’t have many posts on gmatclub, but I have been lurking around the forums for some time now as a guest. I posted my profile in the accepted.com sub-forum and appreciate Paul’s evaluation. However, I would like to hear what some other people think of my profile!

I plan to attend B-School in 2011 or 2012 and have this obsession with researching potential schools and improving my profile.

Profile:
Age at Matriculation: 26
Ethnicity/Gender: Caucasian/Male
GMAT: Preparing now (I have lots of time). Should score between 680 and 710 based on practice tests.

Education:
Initially went to a Community College for a year and planned to take over the family business. However, I realized I wanted something different in my life and transferred after 1 year. I stayed close to home and continued to work at the family business (only employees were my father and grandfather and they needed the help) while attending a small private school in Western Pennsylvania.

(I think this is something I need to touch on in a personal essay)

Small private school in Western Pennsylvania
BSBA with concentration in Management (2008)
GPA 3.96

Awards:
Numerous honor societies
Dean’s list every semester
Dean’s Scholar
Voted top Management student by faculty and president of the University

Extracurricular activities:
This is an area I need to improve. I worked all 4 years while in school. (Consequently, I didn’t have many extracurricular activities.

I have some time to give back to the community. I plan to be a volunteer and Big Brother. Also, I plan to coach baseball and football for kids between 12 and 14 years old.

Work Experience:
1 year as Procurement Coordinator.
Negotiated savings of 20% on indirect material and service contracts valued over $1.5 million.

Starting January, I will be working in the Treasury department of a large Global 500 company as a Financial Analyst.

I should have 3.5 – 4 years of experience when I plan to apply to b-schools and a number of promotions in this time.

Future Goal:
I want to pursue a career in strategy consulting upon graduation.

Target Schools: (Thanks to Paul from Accepted.com for the list of small, non-urban programs)
Tuck (dream school)
Duke
Yale
Berkeley
Darden
Cornell

After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I feel like these schools might be a real LONG shot for me. Please let me know your thoughts on my profile and target schools.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: aichdee's profile. Appreciate feedback! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 14:10
This post received
KUDOS
You have an interesting profile, I don't see why Tuck would be a longshot.

As for community involvement, I'd recommend for you to get involved with something you are actually interested in and show some leadership within it (and be truly involved). I do think many men choose the sports route and coach which is perfectly fine but if you have other interests as well I might pursue those to distinguish myself.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: aichdee's profile. Appreciate feedback! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2008, 15:29
Thank for your comments. I appreciate it!

I really am excited to be involved as a big brother! I know it doesn't show much leadership, but it is something that I really want to do. Also, I know the coaching route isn't very unique for men, but sports are a passion of mine.
Re: aichdee's profile. Appreciate feedback!   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2008, 15:29