Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [16]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [24]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
General Discussion
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4447 [1]
Send PM
Re: Violence in the stands at soccer matches has gotten so pronounced in [#permalink]
Kudos
ywilfred wrote:
aim to should be used here. It's stating a goal that the countries at trying to achieve.
For instance, I aim to get enrolled with Insead this summer.

aim at should only be used when you're attempting hit a target.
For instance, to aim at the target, use the cross-hair.

So A,B,C to consider.

(A) is out - 'and that seat them' is awkward sounding

(B) - 'and' seat them suggests having the fan sit in another section is part of the jobs the rules were set out to do

(C) - for seating is incorrect

B it is

Hi, I'm not sure what you said. Here is an OG SC question.

212. The Baldrick Manufacturing Company has for
several years followed a policy aimed at decreasing operating costs and improving the efficiency of its distribution system.

(A) aimed at decreasing operating costs and improving
(B) aimed at the decreasing of operating costs and to improve
(C) aiming at the decreasing of operating costs and improving
(D) the aim of which is the decreasing of operating costs and improving
(E) with the aim to decrease operating costs and to improve

The OA is A.
I think aim at and aim to are both right.

Besides, could you tell me what's wrong with choice D in the original question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Send PM
Re: Violence in the stands at soccer matches has gotten so pronounced in [#permalink]
Kudos
both aim to and aim at are correct usage

aim to <goal>
aim at <target>

here aim to is correct usage

In addition, identify and seat is the correct usage for parallelism

B it is
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
"Fans of visiting teams" is one single entity and them modifies it.
Team and fans are not two different subject in this context.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1209 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
B is correct. But I think the selection here is governed by meaning and parallelism. Both actions "identify and seat”are referring to “aim to”. They are the actions which stadiums are aiming to achieve ;) so both have to be parallel. None of other options are parallel with these 2 verbs. I think E might have been correct, if “that seat” would have been replaced with “seating” to make it parallel with “identifying”. “so as” has not been found correct in GMAT, though “so X as” is an acceptable idiom.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
aim to: to intend to do something. e.g. I didn't aim to hurt your feelings
aim for: to strive toward a particular goal; e.g One should aim for 800 in GMAT :)
aim at: to point or direct something at someone or something.

Hi Bigoyal ,

Thanks for the info..

My doubt is note related to this question. (A general one)

What is the difference among below mentioned 3 statements.

1) I aim for getting 800 in GMAT
2) I aim to get 800 in GMAT
3) I aim at getting 800 in GMAT

Thanks ,
Raja
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1209 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
rajasaran wrote:
bigoyal wrote:
aim for: to strive toward a particular goal; e.g One should aim for 800 in GMAT :)

Hi Bigoyal ,

Thanks for the info..

Thanks ,
Raja
I collated these brilliant notes from two of Stacey's posts on usage of idioms around "aim".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you post the ENTIRE sentence / phrase when talking about an idiom. The incorrect example given in the book is: "We adopted new procedures WITH THE AIM TO REDUCE theft."
That's not a correct usage - that entire phrase. That doesn't mean that "aim to" by itself is always wrong.

To fix the above sentence, we could say something like: "We adopted new procedures AIMED AT REDUCING theft" meaning: the new procedures are aimed at <achieving some goal>
or "We adopted new procedures WITH THE AIM OF REDUCING theft." Full idiom here is "with the aim of"

We could also say: She aims to please. Her aim to please makes it easy for people to walk all over her.
"aim to" is perfectly fine there.

Some stadiums have adopted rules that aim <to do something else>. If you want to put a verb action after aim, you need to use "to <verb>." Idiom: X that aim to Y ("rules that aim to identify").
good: aimed at <-ing word>
good: with the aim of <-ing word>
suspect: the aim of which (is/was) <to verb>
bad: with the aim <to verb>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This should clarify everything. Coming to your doubts:
1) I aim for getting 800 in GMAT -- Looks incorrect to me. So I will reject it only if I have no other basis to remove this.
2) I aim to get 800 in GMAT -- Correct
3) I aim at getting 800 in GMAT -- Correct

BTW, though "aim to" is correct here, idiom "with the aim to" has been wrong in two of below questions :
the-baldrick-manufacturing-company-has-for-several-years-86349.html
to-gain-a-competitive-advantage-a-well-established-credit-164242.html

So the idiomatic learning here is :
1) "Aim to" is correct but "with the aim to" is incorrect
2) "with the aim of" is preferred, if it all "with" comes with "aim"
3) "Aim at" is correct ( in a way because it draws parallel to two other exactly similar idioms in meaning and usage "targeted at", "focused at")
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
joshnsit wrote:
rajasaran wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

Hi Bigoyal ,

Thanks for the info..

Thanks ,
Raja
I collated these brilliant notes from two of Stacey's posts on usage of idioms around "aim".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you post the ENTIRE sentence / phrase when talking about an idiom. The incorrect example given in the book is: "We adopted new procedures WITH THE AIM TO REDUCE theft."
That's not a correct usage - that entire phrase. That doesn't mean that "aim to" by itself is always wrong.

To fix the above sentence, we could say something like: "We adopted new procedures AIMED AT REDUCING theft" meaning: the new procedures are aimed at <achieving some goal>
or "We adopted new procedures WITH THE AIM OF REDUCING theft." Full idiom here is "with the aim of"

We could also say: She aims to please. Her aim to please makes it easy for people to walk all over her.
"aim to" is perfectly fine there.

Some stadiums have adopted rules that aim <to do something else>. If you want to put a verb action after aim, you need to use "to <verb>." Idiom: X that aim to Y ("rules that aim to identify").
good: aimed at <-ing word>
good: with the aim of <-ing word>
suspect: the aim of which (is/was) <to verb>
bad: with the aim <to verb>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This should clarify everything. Coming to your doubts:
1) I aim for getting 800 in GMAT -- Looks incorrect to me. So I will reject it only if I have no other basis to remove this.
2) I aim to get 800 in GMAT -- Correct
3) I aim at getting 800 in GMAT -- Correct

BTW, though "aim to" is correct here, idiom "with the aim to" has been wrong in two of below questions :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-baldrick- ... 86349.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/to-gain-a-com ... 64242.html

So the idiomatic learning here is :
1) "Aim to" is correct but "with the aim to" is incorrect
2) "with the aim of" is preferred, if it all "with" comes with "aim"
3) "Aim at" is correct ( in a way because it draws parallel to two other exactly similar idioms in meaning and usage "targeted at", "focused at")

"so as to..." is certainly a legitimate construction, but you have to know how to use it.
since it isn't followed by a whole clause -- it's just followed by a verb in infinitive form -- the subject of that infinitive verb must be the same as the subject of the preceding part. for instance, if i say i bought a bunch of blankets so as to avoid paying too much for heating bills, then that makes sense, because i (the preceding subject) am the one who is going to avoid paying too much for heat.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
(A) to identify fans of visiting teams and that seat them -- Incorrect. "that", rules do not seat them, they are "aimed to" seat them.

(B) to identify fans of visiting teams and seat them -- Correct. "aimed to Identify" is parallel to "aimed to seat" (aimed to is ellipses)

(C) to identify fans of visiting teams for seating - Incorrect. "identify" is not parallel with "seating"

(D) at identifying fans of visiting teams so as to seat them -- "aimed at" must be followed by a noun. Laws are aimed at "particular group / person"

(E) at identifying fans of visiting teams and that seat them -- same as D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
vprabhala wrote:
Violence in the stands at soccer matches has gotten so pronounced in several European countries that some stadiums have adopted new rules that aim to identify fans of visiting teams and that seat them in a separate area.

(A) to identify fans of visiting teams and that seat them

(B) to identify fans of visiting teams and seat them

(C) to identify fans of visiting teams for seating

(D) at identifying fans of visiting teams so as to seat them

(E) at identifying fans of visiting teams and that seat them

Anyone, please explain ....the difference of aim at, aim to....and aim of...

want to when to use when.

Thanks in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
Violence in the stands at soccer matches has gotten so pronounced in [#permalink]
I’m a non native, so I checked Manhattan SC Guide about the idioms, and it says “aim at” is the correct idiom while “aim to” is wrong.
Also, when using “so as to”, the subject of that infinitive verb must be the same as the subject of the preceding part—> “the stadiums seat them in separate area” seems okay, so I’m not sure which one should be the answer between D and E. Anybody can help further?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts