Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Air pollution in London

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 08:51
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
Each of the following is an assumption made in the argument above EXCEPT:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:03
I think only E appears to be not an assumption made in the argument.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 09:40
I would pick D because to me it seems besides the point whether an increase in the number of bird species is desirable or not. The point is that the increase reflects on or rather is assumed to reflect on the improved air quality. The others all seem like assumptions. It is assumed that increased sightings reflect on an increase in bird species. The reason I call this an assumption is because people's lifestyles could just have changed such that more people were interested in bird watching and as such more people were noticing species they had previously not been aware enough to notice.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 10:15
Answer is given as A in CR 1000...could anybody explain how?
Manager
Manager

Re: Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2007, 11:06
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry.
[Is it an assumption, as it tries to establish a parallel situation at other major cities]

(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air.
[Best answer - quality of the air is not addressed in the argument]

(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London.
[As it tries to establish a connection between London and other cities, the argument assumes that problems are similar, and that strict regulation will help]

(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable.
[It is assumed that the effect of air pollution regulations is desirable]

(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area.
[Assumed that more sightings = more birds]
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2007, 10:25
I would go with D also. Empanado I am not sure your logic for choice B is right (I could be wrong). It is not stated in the sentence as you said, but that is what an "assumption" is, not stated but understood from the sentence.

No sentence in the argument in any way supports that bird species in and around is desirable.

E could be an assumption if the author assumed that because of air pollution regulation, increase in bird species occurred and similar law should be adopted everywhere..

Donno whether what I said make sense..but I tried :lol:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 16:28
Either A or E but I'll go with A.

(A) doesn't assume that air-pollution problems, in general, are caused entirely by local industry. For all we know, other factors can contribute to air-pollution problems as well.
(B) assumes air-pollution regulations have an impact on the quality of air as evidenced by the increase in number of bird species (regardless of whether the impact is positive or negative, the point is that regulations have an impact)
(C) is a clear assumption since the conclusion suggests air-pollution rules should be imposed in other cities as well based on the results in London
(D) assumes that increase in number of birds is desirable hence rules are imposed
(E) this one is a little bit too implied, but still is an assumption. the fact that the number of birds seen in or around London increase suggests that actual number of birds also increase.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2008, 19:49
In the years since the city of London imposed strict air-pollution regulations on local industry, the number of bird species seen in and around London has increased dramatically. Similar air-pollution rules should be imposed in other major cities.
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry. IMO A
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air. This is assumed in Statement.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London. This is assumed in Statement.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable. This is assumed in Statement.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area. This is assumed in Statement.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2008, 04:24
meetrs wrote:
(A) In most major cities, air-pollution problems are caused almost entirely by local industry. IMO A
(B) Air-pollution regulations on industry have a significant impact on the quality of the air. This is assumed in Statement.
(C) The air-pollution problems of other major cities are basically similar to those once suffered by London. This is assumed in Statement.
(D) An increase in the number of bird species in and around a city is desirable. This is assumed in Statement.
(E) The increased sightings of bird species in and around London reflect an actual increase in the number of species in the area. This is assumed in Statement.

Good one.. Another testing of exaggerations

Lets only focus on A

Lets say in london local industry was responsible for only 20% of air pollution but this was the only reason affecting the birds presense in and around the city.. Say because local industry emits such gases which birds detest.. Once this is gone birds presense increased dramatically`.. But that doesn't mean that local industry was only cause of it

Hope it helps
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Air pollution in London [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2008, 16:28
A. If there were other sources which emitted air pollution, wouldn't regulations also be imposed on them also? Unless we branch so far as to say that only local industries have the capabilities to reduce their air pollution. (I really doubt this answer in the 1000 answers.)

E. The increased sighting of bird species also indicates an increased number of species (ie squires, cats, dogs, ect) seems like too far of statement considering that the passage never talked about other species.

I think the answer should be "E".
Re: Air pollution in London   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2008, 16:28