Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 09:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 0

Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 00:46
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous. In the last year there have been seven major collisions resulting in over 700 deaths, more deaths than in any previous year. Which statement, if true, would most weaken the argument above?

(A) Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger.

(B) The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather.

(C) Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation.

(D) The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation.

(E) Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Air Travel [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 02:25
Conclusion: Air travel is becoming increasingly more dangerous.
Any answer choice that introduces air travel is comparatively safer weaken the argument.

(A) Since the volume of air traffic has been increasing all the time, an increase in the number of deaths due to collisions does not necessarily mean greater danger. [Enticing – but answer choice covers “all the time”- not years covered in the argument. However, argument comparing last year and previous year – eliminate it]

(B) The increase in collisions can be explained by statistical coincidence, hijackings, and unusual weather. [How we explain collisions does not weaken the argument – eliminate it]

(C) Mortality per passenger mile is lower for air travel than for any kind of surface transportation.[Argument has no references to other mode of transportations – eliminate it]

(D) The increase in deaths due to collision in air travel has proceeded at a rate identical to that for deaths in all other major forms of transportation. [Argument has no references to other mode of transportations – eliminate it]

(E) Last year the average number of passengers per flown plane was significantly lower than that of previous years.[Hold it – this implies there were quite a high number flight last year compare to previous year]

Answer: E
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Air Travel [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 11:05
A
I think E strengthens it. If passengers was significantly lower still we had so many accidents, , means air travel is becoming dangerous.

I started concentrating so hard on my vision that I lost sight.

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

Re: CR: Air Travel [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 11:12
im with you on A
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford'10
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 177 [0], given: 8

Re: CR: Air Travel [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2008, 11:31
pmenon wrote:
im with you on A

I Like A the best out of the lot, so I go with A,

However, does "Volume of air traffic" mean more people traveling? Is it safe to assume that. For example, if 100 people traveled in 20 planes, and 2 died because of crashs. Now the same 100 people travel in 40 planes, lots more traffic, and therefore more planes crash. And say 3 died. Doesn't that mean its more dangerous due to increased traffic.

??

could be interpreted each way, but I suppose A points that out anyways "does not necessarily mean.."

:?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Air Travel [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2008, 00:08
OA is A

thanks guys.
Re: CR: Air Travel   [#permalink] 04 Feb 2008, 00:08