Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 85 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

40% (03:41) correct 60% (00:39) wrong based on 16 sessions
Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of our X-387 jets as dangerous. No X-387 in commercial use has ever crashed or even had a serious malfunction.
Airline regulator: The problem with the X-387 is not that it, itself, malfunctions, but that it creates turbulence in its wake that can create hazardous conditions for aircraft in its vicinity.

The airline regulator responds to the manufacturer by doing which of the following?

(A) Characterizing the manufacturer’s assertion as stemming from subjective interest rather than from objective evaluation of the facts

(B) Drawing attention to the fact that the manufacturer’s interpretation of the word "dangerous" is too narrow

(C) Invoking evidence that the manufacturer has explicitly dismissed as irrelevant to the point at issue

(D) Citing statistical evidence that refutes the manufacturer’s claim

(E) Casting doubt on the extent of the manufacturer’s knowledge of the number of recent airline disasters

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:24
Wow this one is tough!! +1 to you. I would go for B..I had tough call between A and B.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 11:59
B
(A) Characterizing the manufacturer’s assertion as stemming from subjective interest rather than from objective evaluation of the facts
No characterizing or blah blah...
He just said ,look there is something else that is dangerous.
Typical use of 'polished terms' trap. (characterizing, assertion, subjective, objective, facts..etc)
(B) Drawing attention to the fact that the manufacturer’s interpretation of the word "dangerous" is too narrow
Right.
(C) Invoking evidence that the manufacturer has explicitly dismissed as irrelevant to the point at issue
yes he invoked evidence, but the evidence is different from this choice.So out.
(typical half right,half wrong trap)

he never mentioned statistics.
Again the word evidence may lure some test takers..(also notice the words.. refutes..claim..polished words trap)

(E) Casting doubt on the extent of the manufacturer’s knowledge of the number of recent airline disasters
knowledge...?out of scope. clearly out.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:13
I would go with B as well.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:17
i say A...
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:31
B

A is incorrect because the manufactures assertion is not subjective. The fact that the plane has never crashed or had a serious malfuntion is an objective fact. The manufacture however is limiting the scope of dangerous to only pertain to their aircraft and not others.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 12:34
B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 02 May 2008, 13:39
prasannar wrote:
Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of our X-387 jets as dangerous. No X-387 in commercial use has ever crashed or even had a serious malfunction.
Airline regulator: The problem with the X-387 is not that it, itself, malfunctions, but that it creates turbulence in its wake that can create hazardous conditions for aircraft in its vicinity.

The airline regulator responds to the manufacturer by doing which of the following?

I would go with B.

C, D, and E are irrelevant to either the manufacturer's discussion or the regulator's reponse.

Option A wouldn't be a bad choice if it didn't state "subjective" or "facts" since neither are presented in the small discussion.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 09:04
can anyone please explain what the term "manufacturer has explicitly dismissed " with respect to argument means?
I thought C to be the correct one but now I seem a bit confused about it.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 10:12
I think C is more appropriate. I was between B and C but rejected because it sounded like an extreme choice "too narrow"; while it can be argued that the manufacturer is looking at the evidence somewhat narrowly yet it is not so narrow as to qualify as too narrow but then again this could be subjective. But C brings the same evidence back into focus by claiming it to be actually relevant and not irrelevant (something which the manufacturer attempts to do). Pls post OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2010, 12:00
B for me .

R E S P E C T

Finally KISSedGMAT 700 times 450 to 700 An exprience

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2010, 10:10
Change of mind after reading PowerScore CR Bible.
C is not the correct option:
Invoking evidence that the manufacturer has explicitly dismissed as irrelevant to the point at issue
Manufacturer has not dismissed the evidence given by airline regulator.
Regulator draws evidence to counter the claim made by the manufacturer that jets are not dangerous (or safe) and thus B is a better option than C.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 6

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:35
A for me. what is the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2010, 13:52
I choose B. The manufacturer did not consider the effect of the aircraft on other aircraft as "dangerous" and the regulator pointed this fact out in the counter-argument.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Airline [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2010, 23:18
B...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Re: Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 23:47
Now I realize B) is the best answer provided, even it is too extreme.

C) is incorrect since manufacturer has not dismissed any evidence.

Thanks for clear explanation.
Re: Airplane manufacturer: I object to your characterization of   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 23:47