Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Was this helpful?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 16

Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 22 May 2013, 15:37
This post received
KUDOS
Background: Finance major from a major public university ... l am/was Terrible at math ... taking GMAT 4 years out of school

I am going to cut straight to my advice from my LONG LONG journey:
:arrow: Fix your eyes on your goal. Do you want to be stuck EXACTLY where you are in 20-30 years?
:arrow: Study for the GMAT in an intense, short amount of time (3-4 months) - I drug my studies out for WAY too long
:arrow: Find the support of someone who loves you - your girlfriend, mom, sister, friend, whoever
:arrow: Find a balance - dont sacrifice EVERYTHING for a 780 GMAT when a 690 will do the job
:arrow: YOU DONT HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING. After studying for months, there were still some topics I didnt FULLY understand. Sure I tried my best to understand everything but some subjects just baffled me (example: advanced sequences). At the end of the day I kind of said 'screw it' ... but that was after HOURS and HOURS of trying to grasp it...
:arrow: once again - YOU DONT HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING TO GET A 700+ I PROMISE!!!
:arrow: Dont spend too much time memorizing lists of prime numbers and all kinds of 'time saving' devices ... I tried to memorize some of those and I dont think it impacted my score.
:arrow: DONT BOTHER WITH ONLINE GUIDES. Just get MGMAT and GO!! Forget 'joe blows' SC NOTES that everyone is RAVING about
:arrow: MASTER THE MATERIAL AND THE TEST!! Dont JUST master the material ... master TIMING and GUESSING and SKIPPING QUESIONS
:arrow: Make notecards tailored to you and that cover EVERYTHING in the MGMAT Guides ... Dont bother with someone else's prep material - its a waste of time. HIGHLIGHT your MGMAT guides ... make them colorful and easy to flip through and look back on!!
:arrow: BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE ... if beating the GMAT is your biggest worry then you have it pretty good. youre not worrying about clean drinking water or a roof over your head. Be THANKFUL!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 04:00
Expert's post
Congratulations!

P.S. Why did you feel it was important to indicate you were an Alabama boy? :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 05:59
reyjustin wrote:
:arrow: Find the support of someone who loves you - your girlfriend, mom, sister, friend, whoever
:arrow: once again - YOU DONT HAVE TO KNOW EVERYTHING TO GET A 700+ I PROMISE!!!
:arrow: DONT BOTHER WITH ONLINE GUIDES. Just get MGMAT and GO!! Forget 'joe blows' SC NOTES that everyone is RAVING about
:arrow: MASTER THE MATERIAL AND THE TEST!! Dont JUST master the material ... master TIMING and GUESSING and SKIPPING QUESIONS

Rightly said!
and congrats.. :)

Regards,

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q V0
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 16

Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 23 May 2013, 06:11
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
Congratulations!

P.S. Why did you feel it was important to indicate you were an Alabama boy? :-)

Well I feel like people need encouragement/advice from people they can relate to
I read stories from several people who were "India IT with great quant skills" ... that wasnt me and it was hard for me to relate to those stories ... I wanted to make a post that highlighted who I am, and what makes me unique

Also my post may dispel some stereotypes!!!
we do drive cars and have personal hygiene here, by the way!! :wink:
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.78

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 26 May 2013, 03:46
Exactly, I am a single mom and if I read single mom beats the GMAT 760 I would really be excited because I could see that someone like me is where I want to be!!!

Congrats!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1984

Kudos [?]: 6419 [0], given: 3565

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 08:28
Expert's post
Policarpa wrote:
Exactly, I am a single mom and if I read single mom beats the GMAT 760 I would really be excited because I could see that someone like me is where I want to be!!!

Congrats!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image

Good Luck! That's a tough situation and hard to study. I don't think we have had any single moms yet post a debrief but we did have this one: 530-to-670-story-of-a-9-month-pregnant-female-133504.html

Looks like exactly a year ago :-)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.16
WE: Programming (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 10:52
Well said man! I am from Louisiana and feel the same way. #SouthernPride
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 16:06
Congrats...man...its an awesome score and so is ur debrief...
I am also preparing for Gmat for last 1 yr...i am a mother of two toddlers..i gave my first Gmat a month ago but scored very low as i know my mistakes now
I did not have any conceptual clarity..My husband supported me by taking care of kids whn i was away to a library every week twice.But when the result came he was very disappointed and so was me.I was humiliated by his harsh words which actually worked in a opposite way..i am now more determined in scoring 700 plus..coz now its a matter of respect..plus i am on my own now..no help...hope i will survive
And some one has said...Failure does not mean that you cannot do that...it just means that you need to work lil harder than others..
Re: Alabama Boy ... 710, Q47, V41 ... Advice   [#permalink] 30 May 2013, 16:06