Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 22:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Affiliations: GmatClub
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 89

Kudos [?]: 533 [0], given: 700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:57
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

55% (01:10) correct 44% (00:21) wrong based on 9 sessions
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion
of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state's economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state's economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state's economy after oil reserves are exhausted

My preference was to D official answer is C

Apart from this i have also one query.
In choice A "with the intension .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'
How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Articles Subject-Verb Agreement NEW!!

Practice Combinations and Probability | DS Combinations | PS Absolute Value and Modules | DS Absolute Value and Modules | Critical Combinatorics

Collection Critical Reasoning shortcuts and tips | OG Verbal Directory (OG 13 and OG Verbal 2)

Contributing to Each Other’s Learning!!!

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 276 [1] , given: 180

Re: clarification on tense usage [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:08
This post received
KUDOS
(D) fund intended to sustain the state's economy after exhausting its oil reserves
-- The pronoun "its" is ambiguous, it can refer to both economy or alaska. Hence choice (D) is incorrect.

In choice A "with the intention .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
-- Choice (A) has redundant comma prefixed to "with", because of which the "with clause" appears to modify the entire first part of the sentence. Such constructions are usually less preferred in GMAT (including few OG solutions). And yes, "with intention" refers to the Alaska's action "deposits".

Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'. How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.
This is VERB-ED type modifier. Refer to below article and you will be more clear about this type of modifier.
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Thanks,
PraPon

VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
Tough RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 29

Re: clarification on tense usage [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
C

A is incorrect because it is wordy.

B is incorrect is wordy too and uses "they" without giving it a proper antecedent. One could assume "they" refers to "Alaska", but that would also be incorrect as Alaska is not a group of anything.

D is incorrect because it implies that the fund itself will exhaust the oil reserves. D is incorrect because it modifies the sentence's meaning.

E is incorrect because of the ambiguous "they".

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Affiliations: GmatClub
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 89

Kudos [?]: 533 [0], given: 700

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: clarification on tense usage [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 03:07
Expert's post
PraPon wrote:
-- The pronoun "its" is ambiguous, it can refer to both economy or alaska. Hence choice (D) is incorrect.

In choice A "with the intention .........oil reserves" seems to modify the verb 'deposits'
-- Choice (A) has redundant comma prefixed to "with", because of which the "with clause" appears to modify the entire first part of the sentence. Such constructions are usually less preferred in GMAT (including few OG solutions). And yes, "with intention" refers to the Alaska's action "deposits".

Inchoice C "intended to .............are exhausted" seems to modify 'fund'. How should one decide/recognize which word logically be modified by the modifier.
This is VERB-ED type modifier. Refer to below article and you will be more clear about this type of modifier.
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Thanks PRAPON, COMMDIVER for the article link and response.

Articles Subject-Verb Agreement NEW!!

Practice Combinations and Probability | DS Combinations | PS Absolute Value and Modules | DS Absolute Value and Modules | Critical Combinatorics

Collection Critical Reasoning shortcuts and tips | OG Verbal Directory (OG 13 and OG Verbal 2)

Contributing to Each Other’s Learning!!!

Re: clarification on tense usage   [#permalink] 10 Jan 2013, 03:07