Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2003, 08:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:12) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after oil reserves are exhausted

The answer is C. I choose D because in GMAT active voice is preferable to passive voice. This rule doesn't seem to apply to this question. Why?

Thank:)
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2003, 10:09
The reason why D is not the best choice is because D says the state will try to run it's economy with the saved funds in the same way it is doing with the revenue generated from oil. Now if you think about it, it really doesn't make sense. The key word is "sustain". When you're sustaining something you don't try to replace the primary reason with something of equal value/importance. So it has to be something of lesser but acceptable value/importance.

Hmm.... I wrote something confusing there, did I? But I hope you get the point. It's kinda hard to explain in simple terms when short of time. :-D
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2003, 04:36
Sorry but I'm still a bit confused here... :?
How can you tell by the wordings of C and D that one is "something of equal value/importance" while the other is "something of lesser but acceptable value/importance"?

Thanks~
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2003, 19:49
Joviest wrote:
Sorry but I'm still a bit confused here... :?
How can you tell by the wordings of C and D that one is "something of equal value/importance" while the other is "something of lesser but acceptable value/importance"?

Thanks~

Ok, look at it this way... you can sustain something (with contingency plan) already in existance only "after" your current/primary plan is over/disrrupted. So the current/primary plan is "exhausting" oil resource. Thus, grammatically, it's only appropriate to use "exhausted" in the sentence following the clause "after". Does that make sense?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Passive Voice? (SC) [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2003, 07:26
Joviest wrote:
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the stateтАЩs economy after oil reserves are exhausted

The answer is C. I choose D because in GMAT active voice is preferable to passive voice. This rule doesn't seem to apply to this question. Why?

Thank:)

In D, what does ""its"" refer to? "state" or "fund"...

No clear antecedent, isnt it?

In D, it looks like the fund is exhausting the oil reserves

thanks
praetorian

[/b]
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: Passive Voice? (SC) [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 00:53
I think D doesn't make sense. It sounds like: At first, Alaska exhausts its oil reserves and then it puts profits into the fund.
In addition, I agree with praetorian's explanation. Choice C is correct.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Re: Passive Voice? (SC)   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2011, 00:53