Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 01:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:21
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Which do you think is the right answer?
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC- Alaska [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:38
svs9j wrote:
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.

(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

A -
B - pronoun reference, redundancy
C -
D - distorts meaning, there's nothing about Alaska itself is 'exhausting' its oil reserves
E-messed up

I'm leaning with (C), "exhaustion of oil reserves" in (A) doesn't feel right. However, I'm not too happy with the "after oil reserves are exhausted" - it should probably be "after its oil reserves are exhausted".

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:39
(A) uses the expression "exhaustion of" which i think is a passive usage...came down to (C) or (D)...I chose (D)....answer is (C)....dont see what is wrong with (D)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Alaska [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:40
svs9j wrote:

With the exception of C, others all look too wordy or awkward.

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:42
There's hardly a difference between C and D...can't identify any error in D..Why not D?
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:45
This post received
KUDOS
svs9j wrote:
There's hardly a difference between C and D...can't identify any error in D..Why not D?

D seems to imply that Alaska wants the fund to take care of itself, after it (Alaska) has caused the 'exhausting' of oil reserves - this isn't true. I agree one could argue that "exhausting its oil reserves" does not mean the state itself does not do that, but it is still ambiguous. Or that's what I felt :)

http://onwardtomba.blogspot.com - MBA, GMAT, INSEAD - the journey.
My 7 GMAT Quant Strategies/Trap
My GMAT Debrief

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 21:49
Could it also be that the pronoun "its" in (D) is not required?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC- Alaska [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 22:05
svs9j wrote:

Between "oil reserves are exhausted" and " exhausting its oil reserves", my preference to C was because it avoids "ing", I remember reading somewhere that , if you can avoid using "ing" and you have another choice that doesn't use "ing" go with that.

http://gmatstuff.blogspot.com

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 01:47
svs9j wrote:
Could it also be that the pronoun "its" in (D) is not required?

exhausting in D changes the meaning of the sentence. As if the the "funds" are exhausting the revenues.

A is overly wordy and passive.

(C) is clearly the best here.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 03:13
Caught between A and C.

A looks more wordy . C is more simple.

What is OA please?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 03:39
OA is (C)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 04:34
ps_dahiya wrote:
Nothing wrong with A.

with the intention to ... is wrong

Either intend to or with the intention of or intent on... is correct.

It's close b/w C & D but chose C as D seems to distort the meaning by impyling that Alaska is intentially doing it to use the fund...but ti is more as and when the oil reserves exhaust, the fund can be used.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 11:40
I picked C if anyone believes me :wink:

A has awkward comma... which looks like it intos a wrong modifier.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2006, 12:37
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2006, 12:37