Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 11:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

27% (01:17) correct 72% (00:58) wrong based on 11 sessions
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 15:03
I also like D.

A) "with the intention to" is not necessary and wordy can change it to "intended"

B) they refers to Alsaka and therefore wrong. It would have been ok if it were state and not possessive "state's economy" Also sentence is wordy

C) Correct

D) Use of its is ambiguous. Pronoun should be as close as the noun. Here also there are several singular nouns (sale, oil etc) and therefore use of it is not correct.

E) same as B

Soomodh
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 18:16
abiswas wrote:
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Answer to this is C.

Its btwn DC, but its in D is kinda ambigious. Also its suggests that Alaska is the only one that exhausts its oil.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2007, 21:58
soomodh wrote:
I also like D.

A) "with the intention to" is not necessary and wordy can change it to "intended"

B) they refers to Alsaka and therefore wrong. It would have been ok if it were state and not possessive "state's economy" Also sentence is wordy

C) Correct

D) Use of its is ambiguous. Pronoun should be as close as the noun. Here also there are several singular nouns (sale, oil etc) and therefore use of it is not correct.

E) same as B

Soomodh

I thought 'its' is correct usage. thanks for the explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 06:45
OA is C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 17:23
abiswas wrote:
OA is C

Can someone explain why C is correct? I was stuck between A & C, but I picked A....
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2007, 19:07
abiswas wrote:

But in C its is missing. Still I am confuse with D over C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2007, 16:38
spider wrote:
abiswas wrote:
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves - Its over here is ambiguous - it could refer to "States economy"
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted - Correct

thanks Spider, I overlooked "its"...."its" could refer to "State economy" or "Alaska"....stupid mistake on my part...C it is
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg(A), Wharton(W), Columbia(D)

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 0

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 04:56
This post received
KUDOS
I agree that the "its" in D is wrong.
But there are other problems with D as well...

Fix the "its"

(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting the state's oil reserves

73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting the state's oil reserves.

-- there seems to be a tense problem though I can't pinpoint exactly what.
Director
Director
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 05:10
I get C as well.

This makes it sound like the fund will exhaust it's own reserves.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 07:27
nice explanation for not selecting D by Indian Jaguar
Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 12:00
am the only one that thinks D sounds awkward? C is definitely it from the start.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2010, 20:11
C it is..

This is an easy one though... I think D is wrong because it mentions exhausting rather than its.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2010, 20:16
This one is hard, you have the idiom of intention/intended to, and the pronouns of they/it. Whenever I see an "it" or "they", I always check that first to see if it is VERY clear what they are pointing to.

"its oil reserves" are shown as belonging to the economy, not the state, so those are wrong, leaving c and E.

However, E has a "they" pointing to the fund, and fund isn't really what should be pointed to, should be pointed to Alaska (Alaska intends to sustain)

I like to replace the "it"s and "they"s with teh nearest noun and see if it still makes sense.

If you liked my post, please consider thanking me with Kudos! I really appreciate it! :)

SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 170 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 13:06
this one has not been clarified yet

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: Engineering

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 13:20
noboru wrote:
this one has not been clarified yet

Comma is redundant (A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
Too wordy (B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
Wrong (D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
Meaning changed - fund will be sustained after oil reserves are exhausted (E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

All things are possible to those who believe.

Manager
Manager
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 21:48
Is there any other to prefer C over D except pronoun reference error for Its?

Study Daily to conquer GMAT.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 02:46
I did this Q by pronoun issue.
Only in C we use correct one.

abiswas wrote:
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves - its refers to economy by need to country, because country's reserve and not state's economy reserve
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves - incorrectly refer to Alaska which is singular and not plural
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted - correct
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves - its refers to economy by need to country, because country's reserve and not state's economy reserve
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted - incorrectly refer to Alaska which is singular and not plural
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

Re: Alaska Oil [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 09:52
D) usage of "its" is ambiguous. C is more clearer and simple.
Re: Alaska Oil   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2011, 09:52