Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 05:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

50% (01:53) correct 50% (01:20) wrong based on 8 sessions
73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Pls explain the approach to crack this type of SENTENCES

Last edited by vageesh on 23 Jan 2010, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 06:07
vageesh wrote:
73. Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits from the sale of oil into a special fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves.
(A) fund, with the intention to sustain the state’s economy after the exhaustion of its oil reserves
(B) fund, the intention of which is to sustain the state’s economy after they have exhausted their oil reserves
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted
(D) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy after exhausting its oil reserves
(E) fund that they intend to sustain the state’s economy after oil reserves are exhausted

Pls explain the approach to crack this type of SENTENCES

Answer C

After reading the original sentence, the first thing to notice is the use of the word "its" (hence pronoun error). What does "its" refer to? Alaska or state's economy? Realizing a pronoun error exists you can pretty much eliminate all the other choices because the other sentences use "they", which also has no clear referent. C is clear.

When reading long sentences with pronouns, always look for a clear referent to simplify things.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 06:12
Thanks.. it is C , i was just wondering abt cracking it within a minute, logic will help, thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 07:12
A - I dont think you need a comma here
B - Same, comma not required
C - CORRECT
D - The use of "its" might create ambguity, as it can refer to Alaska and state’s economy.
E - "they" does not have a referrent.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 12:09
I think use of pronoun is not an issue here.
Take this for an example :

Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels; travelers to Egypt can still stay at the Old Cataract Hotel, the model for the hotel in one of Christie's most famous books.
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband inspired her to write several mystery novels
Agatha Christie used her travels with her archaeologist husband to inspire several mystery novels
Because her husband was an archaeologist, Agatha Christie was able to use their travels as inspiration for several of her mystery novels
Together with her archaeologist husband, Agatha Christie was inspired to incorporate their travel into several of her mystery novels
Agatha Christie's travels with her archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of her mystery novels

Whenever you find a possesive noun make sure the pronouns are properly used. Replace the pronoun with the possessivity of the sentence.

E can be rewritten as Agatha Christie's travels with Agatha Christie's archaeologist husband served as inspiration for several of Agatha Christie's mystery novels while you cannot do this in any other sentence.

Ans : E

If the above holds good then instead of its - state's oil reserves should make sense.

Can some one explain if my understanding is wrong???
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 297

Kudos [?]: 589 [0], given: 11

Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2010, 13:35
Hey Acer,

Your thinking is mostly right, but the two sentences are not equivalent. In the case of "her", there is only one female in the sentence, so there is no ambiguity. In the case of "its", there are two "genderless" nouns in the previous sentence "state's economy" (which is closer, and the wrong one) and "Alaska". There's no way to determine which is correct in that version of the sentence.

Hope that clarifies things!

Tommy Wallach

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 04:49
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey Acer,

Your thinking is mostly right, but the two sentences are not equivalent. In the case of "her", there is only one female in the sentence, so there is no ambiguity. In the case of "its", there are two "genderless" nouns in the previous sentence "state's economy" (which is closer, and the wrong one) and "Alaska". There's no way to determine which is correct in that version of the sentence.

Hope that clarifies things!

Tommy Wallach

Well I chose A: and the logic I used is this: Oil reserves can belong to a state but not to an economy. So logically the referent of its has to be Alaska and not economy. Also C says exhaustion of oil reserves - to me that's kind of ambiguous - is it talking about exhaustion of Alaska's oil reserves or the world's oil reserves. I guess we need to qualify that - something which A does.
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 06:37
C correct but - What is state's economy? I think the sentence is treating Alaska and state differently. I may be wrong but someone can answer this.
(C) fund intended to sustain the state’s economy ----> This means US economy or Alaska's economy.

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 10:20
Hey Dwi,

This is a VERY important rule. YOU CANNOT USE LOGIC to work out the antecedent of a pronoun. It's PURELY grammar. Here's an example I often give in class:

Michael Jordan and his 95 year old, legless, paralyzed, comatose grandfather went out to buy him running shoes.

Now, in this case, logic DEMANDS that we're buying shoes for Michael Jordan, because his grandfather has no legs and can't move. But the pronoun "him" would be considered ambiguous, because we don't know if it's referring to Michael Jordan or his grandfather on a purely grammatical level.

Nusma,

As for your issue, I'm not sure I understand. The US is not in answer choice C at all, so there's no possible confusion.

-t

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2010, 19:49
Tommy

"state's economy" should be "its economy". That's what I mean here. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

Sentence starts with Alaska but then uses state's to refer back to Alaska.

E.g Alaska regularly deposits some of its profits ---> "its" refers to Alaska

TommyWallach wrote:
Nusma,

As for your issue, I'm not sure I understand. The US is not in answer choice C at all, so there's no possible confusion.

-t

Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 08:26
Hey Nusma,

"the state's" would have to be Alaska. I think you're thinking of "The States" as a way of referring to the US. But, aside from the fact that that's a very slangy way to talk about the US (and wouldn't be on the GMAT anyway), technically it would then be The States' (with an apostrophe AFTER the "s"), to do a possessive of the plural.

Does that resolve the issue, or am I still missing it?

-t

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: explain though process [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2010, 09:11
:-D Thank you tommy !

Re: explain though process   [#permalink] 18 Jul 2010, 09:11