Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 522 [3] , given: 217

Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 17:17
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (03:10) correct 54% (02:18) wrong based on 349 sessions
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/(R+4)
C. R/(R-8)
D. 8/(R-8)
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Jul 2013, 11:21, edited 2 times in total.
Added the OA
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3607

Kudos [?]: 28763 [6] , given: 2846

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 21:43
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
enigma123 wrote:
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

In T hours Alex will cover 4T miles;
Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 20

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 22:59
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Hi Bunuel,

I tried with a different method but my answer is different .. I am sure I am doing some error but i am not able to find where my folly is:

Let X be the distance Alex covers:
Time taken by Alex: X/4
Brenda's distance should be 2X
Time taken by Brenda: 2X/R

Given: Time taken by Alex + 1 = Time taken by Brenda
X/4 + 1 = 2X/R
X = 4R/8-R :(
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28763 [2] , given: 2846

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 23:10
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rohitgoel15 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

I tried with a different method but my answer is different .. I am sure I am doing some error but i am not able to find where my folly is:

Let X be the distance Alex covers:
Time taken by Alex: X/4
Brenda's distance should be 2X
Time taken by Brenda: 2X/R

Given: Time taken by Alex + 1 = Time taken by Brenda
X/4 + 1 = 2X/R
X = 4R/8-R :(

We are asked to find the time that Alex will have been walking and you found X, which is the distance that Alex have covered.

So, you need to take the last step: Time=Distance/Rate=(4R/(8-R))/4=R/(8-R).

Hope it's clear.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [3] , given: 165

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2012, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Since your answer is in terms of R, you have the flexibility of putting in any value for R.
Say R = 16
Alex has already covered 4 miles in the first hour. In the next hour, Alex covers another 4 miles while Brenda covers 16, thereby covering twice the distance covered by Alex. (I chose R = 16 because it is twice of 8) Alex has been walking for 2 hrs so that's the answer we are looking for.
Plug R = 16 in the options. Only option C gives you 2. Answer (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 10:51
Expert's post
Can you please let me know where am I committing mistake?
Alex already covered 4 miles. In the next t hours the total distance covered by Alex will be 4+4t.
Similarly Brenda covers Rt miles in the next t hours.
Therefore, Rt=2(4+4t)t
t=8/(R-8)

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [1] , given: 43

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 12:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
siddharthasingh wrote:
Can you please let me know where am I committing mistake?
Alex already covered 4 miles. In the next t hours the total distance covered by Alex will be 4+4t.
Similarly Brenda covers Rt miles in the next t hours.
Therefore, Rt=2(4+4t)t
t=8/(R-8)

The question is "which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?"

Your t is the time Brenda rode her bicycle and t + 1 is the time Alex walked.

So, you just have to add 1 to your result to get the correct answer:
8 / (R - 8) +1 = (8 + R - 8) / (R - 8) = R / ( R - 8).

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43
GPA: 3.83
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 18:10
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

I worked the problem until I got to 8T = RT - R but I started struggling with the algebra. Can you show me how you manipulated the equation to get T = R/(R-8)?
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [0], given: 43

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 23:10
egiles wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

I worked the problem until I got to 8T = RT - R but I started struggling with the algebra. Can you show me how you manipulated the equation to get T = R/(R-8)?

8T = RT - R ----> R = RT - 8T (added R and subtracted 8T from both sides) ----> R = T(R - 8) ----> T = R/(R - 8)

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28763 [0], given: 2846

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 03:15
Expert's post
egiles wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

Sure:

8T=RT-R --> rearrange: R=RT-8T --> factor out T: R=T(R-8) --> T=R/(R-8).

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2012, 03:47
In such questions i am trying to find smart number to plug in, so for R i am chosing 12 (which is easily dividible to 4). We know that Alex walked for 1 hour that is 4 miles, then Brenda started to bike, so in 1 our she bikes 12 miles, and Alex will walk overall 8 miles, next hour Alex will walk 12 miles Brenda bikes 24 miles (which is twice of the alex's distance). Overall Alex spends 3 hours of walking. Now we look at the answer choices, and put 12 instead of R and the answer should be 3 and we see that answer C fits. So the answer is C.

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 33

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:36
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Since your answer is in terms of R, you have the flexibility of putting in any value for R.Say R = 16
Alex has already covered 4 miles in the first hour. In the next hour, Alex covers another 4 miles while Brenda covers 16, thereby covering twice the distance covered by Alex. (I chose R = 16 because it is twice of 8) Alex has been walking for 2 hrs so that's the answer we are looking for.

Hi Karishma,

Suppose i assume R=32,
then alex = 4m/hr. In next hr, Alex covers 4 and brenda covers 2*16
In next hr, Alex covers 8 and brenda covers 2*32 and so on.. but acc to the series i cannot be that when Brenda wud be covering 2(Alex) ?
Can you please have a look on this ?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [1] , given: 165

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 19:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
154238 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Since your answer is in terms of R, you have the flexibility of putting in any value for R.Say R = 16

Hi Karishma,

Suppose i assume R=32,
then alex = 4m/hr. In next hr, Alex covers 4 and brenda covers 2*16
In next hr, Alex covers 8 and brenda covers 2*32 and so on.. but acc to the series i cannot be that when Brenda wud be covering 2(Alex) ?
Can you please have a look on this ?

If you assume R = 32, in 2 hrs, Alex covers 8 miles and Brenda covers 32 miles. Brenda has already covered more than twice of Alex. Hence, somewhere within the second hour, Brenda had covered twice the distance covered by Alex. To find it, you will anyway need to make equations.
Say t is the time for which they travel after Alex's initial 4 miles.
2(4 + 4t) = 32t
t = 1/3
So total time for which Alex walked = 1 + 1/3 = 4/3

Now put R = 32 in the options and you get t = 4/3 in case of option (C)

The point is, it's too much work in this case. If you assume the value smartly, your work reduces significantly else you might as well use algebra.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT Date: 11-20-2012
GPA: 3.19
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 16:10
Solving Duration : 30 secs
Solving Method : Substitute Assumption

Explanation:

Given : Speed of Alex = 4 miles/hr
Speed of Brenda= R > 8 miles/hr

Assume, Speed of Brenda = 16 [I choose a substitute which is divisible by 4 and 8 ]

At end of 1st hour, distance traveled by Alex = 4
distance traveled by Brenda = 0

At end of 2nd hour, distance traveled by Alex = 8
distance traveled by Brenda = 16 [where distance traveled by Brenda is twice the distance traveled by Alex]

Therefore, Substituting the value of R as 16 in the equation, we get option C as answer.

Answer : C

Kudos n Gud luck :)
-------------------------------------------------------------
AshwaKann :)
Self-exploration keeps you alive every moment! Keep exploring :)

Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 00:25
Expert's post
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 2

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 11:16
I tried number plugging in this question. Let's say R = 10, now Alex has already been walking for an hour so he has already completed a distance of 4 miles. Brenda starts an hour later, in one hour after Brenda's start she will have completed 10 miles and Alex will have completed 8 miles.
2 hours later, Brenda = 20 miles, Alex = 12 miles.
3 hours later, Brenda = 30 miles, Alex = 16 miles.
4 hours later, Brenda = 40 miles, Alex = 20 miles. We stop here

Now since Brenda started an hour later, this means in 5 hours, Brenda will have traveled double of Alex's distance.

The only answer that gives us 5 when we plug 10 for R is (C), R/R-8 => 10/(10-8) = 10/2 = 5.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 134

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 09:51

We know Alex's rate (4 miles/hour)
We know Brenda's rate is greater than 8 (8 miles/hour)

In one hour Alex will have covered four miles. In two hours, Alex will have covered eight miles. When Alex has covered exactly four miles Brenda will set off at a rate of 8+ miles/hour.
It may be easier to plug in numbers for this problem.

R=12

This means that in two hours Alex will cover 8 miles and Brenda will cover 12. In three hours Alex will cover 12 miles and Brenda will cover 24. The answer must = 3.

R/(R-8)
12/(12-8)
12/4
=3 hours

Answer: C. R/(R-8)

Solving another way:

T = the time Alex will have walked when Brenda covers twice the distance (what the question is looking for)

Alex is traveling at 4 miles/hour so in T hours Alex will cover 4T miles. Rate*time = distance she covers

Brenda left one hour after Alex so her time will be T-1. The distance she covers will therefore be R(T-1). We are looking for how long it takes Brenda to cover two times the distance Alex does.

We need to know how long (T) it will take for Brenda to cover twice the distance Alex has covered: 2*(4T) = R(T-1) ==> 8T = RT-R ==> 8t+R=RT

There are two T's here so arrange the equation in such a way to factor them out.

8T+R=RT
R=RT-8T
R=T(R-8)
We are looking for the solution in terms of R: T=R/(R-8) (C)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GPA: 3
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2013, 13:39
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

Would you tell where am I going wrong in my approach.
Distance by alex in 1hr = 1*4 = 4 miles.
Now, let 't' be the time at which distance covered by brenda= 2*distance covered by alex

R*t = 2*(4+4t)
solving the above equation, t comes out to be 8/(R-8)

Thanks.
Expert Post
Math Expert

Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 06:11
Expert's post
ankit41 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Hi Bunuel,

Would you tell where am I going wrong in my approach.
Distance by alex in 1hr = 1*4 = 4 miles.
Now, let 't' be the time at which distance covered by brenda= 2*distance covered by alex

R*t = 2*(4+4t)
solving the above equation, t comes out to be 8/(R-8)

Thanks.

Your T and T in the solution are not the same.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Statistics
Schools: CBS '18, Stern '18
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.36
WE: Analyst (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2013, 07:16
I arbitrarily picked R = 12

After 1 hour, Alex will have walked 4 miles. For each our after that, his total distance d = 4t + 4, where t is the number of hours he walks.

Brenda walks twice that distance in 2d = 12t or d = 6t.

Now just set them equal to each other

4t + 4 = 6t
2t = 4
t = 2

Add the additional hour that Alex was walking in the beginning, so t = 3. Just plug in 12 to all of the answer choices and see which one yields 3. C.
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk a   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2013, 07:16