Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [540]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:UVA Darden; Cornell-Queen's Johnson School,
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: Dean's List
WE 2: Air Force Officer 11 Years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [8]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Re: MBA Rankings: All 2024 Rankings [#permalink]
AgeDoesntMatter wrote:

Here's a quick guide:

If someone describes their school as the top ranked school, they go to HBS or Stanford
If someone says they go to a "Top 3" school, they go to Wharton
If someone says they go to a "Top 5" school, its either Chicago, Kellogg, or MIT Sloan
If someone says they're in the "M7", they go to Columbia
If someone says "Top 10", they mean Tuck, Ross, Haas, or <insert whatever school you insist belongs in the top ten, thus proving my point".

LOL!! +1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
brainhurt wrote:
AgeDoesntMatter wrote:

Here's a quick guide:

If someone describes their school as the top ranked school, they go to HBS or Stanford
If someone says they go to a "Top 3" school, they go to Wharton
If someone says they go to a "Top 5" school, its either Chicago, Kellogg, or MIT Sloan
If someone says they're in the "M7", they go to Columbia
If someone says "Top 10", they mean Tuck, Ross, Haas, or <insert whatever school you insist belongs in the top ten, thus proving my point".

LOL!! +1

I agree completely - fun analysis :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
One of the biggest reasons to attend an MBA program is to learn from your peers. You lose 135 years of knowledge in an HBS section of 90 students compared to most other schools. That seems pretty significant, but doesn't seem to hurt their standing at the top.

I definitively agree with the statement above. H/S become younger and one loses a tone of experience if admitted to younger class/interacting with younger peers. just my few cents.

However, here is hidden part of the coin: H/S MBA alumni are younger than average MBA alumni so their life-long earnings are higher <-this may partially explain why gradutaes of H/S earn more in average.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 2: 730
Send PM
Pkit wrote:
Quote:
One of the biggest reasons to attend an MBA program is to learn from your peers. You lose 135 years of knowledge in an HBS section of 90 students compared to most other schools. That seems pretty significant, but doesn't seem to hurt their standing at the top.

I definitively agree with the statement above. H/S become younger and one loses a tone of experience if admitted to younger class/interacting with younger peers. just my few cents.

However, here is hidden part of the coin: H/S MBA alumni are younger than average MBA alumni so their life-long earnings are higher <-this may partially explain why gradutaes of H/S earn more in average.

I have to disagree with what you said a bit.

The student body doesn't lose that much if the class has an avg of 3-4 years of experience; after 2 good years of experience, you are not bringing much in an MBA setting. You may want to look for an Executive MBA then. MBA is positioning you in a leadership position, and the schools are picking those who have shown skills, interest, and desire to do so. Harvard and Stanford get the best applicants with 3-4 years of experience (usually the "best" work experience), therein the average of their class. In visits at multiple schools- Harvard, MIT and Tuck- the admission person would often say that after 2 years, it really does not matter, they can see the picture: you are either interested and capable at being a leader or you are not.

The reality is, most applicants, would show their interest and capabilities at being a leader -aka taking leadership positions after 3-4 years of experience at your job usually. Because of that most schools have a higher average.
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hi,

I have a question. Is the age, the age when you begin your MBA, or it is the age when you are admitted ?
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 1357 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
This should be the age at matriculation. Guys, correct me if I'm wrong.
amaterasu wrote:
Hi,

I have a question. Is the age, the age when you begin your MBA, or it is the age when you are admitted ?
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
dzyubam wrote:
amaterasu wrote:
Hi,

Thanks dzyubam.

Forgive me for the further inconvenience, but the matriculation age is then your age when you begin your classes, not the age when you are admitted or when you applied ?

PS: I am non-US, therefore I am unfamiliar with some notions natural to you ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
amaterasu wrote:
dzyubam wrote:
amaterasu wrote:
Hi,

Thanks dzyubam.

Forgive me for the further inconvenience, but the matriculation age is then your age when you begin your classes, not the age when you are admitted or when you applied ?

PS: I am non-US, therefore I am unfamiliar with some notions natural to you ;)

It's age at matriculation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [6]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:<strong>Ross '13</strong>
 Q46  V40
WE 1: Business Development / Sales
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, here is a comprehensive "Decade" ranking of all the top MBA programs. I used the BW, USN, and FT to compile the rankings. I created it because I wanted to see how the programs hold their rankings over time.

Enjoy!

Final Rankings based on Averages
Rank School
1 HBS
2 Wharton
3 Stanford
4 Chicago
5 Kellogg
6 MIT
6 Columbia
8 Tuck
9 Haas
9 Ross
9 Duke
12 NYU
13 Yale
14 Darden
14 UCLA
16 Cornell
Attachments

Decade_MBA_Rankings.xls [28 KiB]
Downloaded 290 times

Decade_MBA_Rankings.xls [28 KiB]
Downloaded 140 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:Duke (Accepted + $), Tuck (Accepted), Wharton (WL), Haas (WL), Ross (Accepted), Yale (Accepted), Anderson (Accepted + $$$)
 Q49  V37
GPA: 3.7 from a top 5 US Engineering School
WE 1: 4.5 yrs management consulting at Top-tier firm and then at a life sciences boutique
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
Guys, here is a comprehensive "Decade" ranking of all the top MBA programs. I used the BW, USN, and FT to compile the rankings. I created it because I wanted to see how the programs hold their rankings over time.

Enjoy!

Great stuff man!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rpratt620 wrote:

Enjoy!

smth is wrong with your decade ratings.
Stern was placed by FT 13th and 15th in 2010 and 2011 and not 8th and 7th (cells J17, K17)
Haas is often place 28th and 30th in FT rankings.

gimme back my kudos :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:

Enjoy!

smth is wrong with your decade ratings.
Stern was placed by FT 13th and 15th in 2010 and 2011 and not 8th and 7th (cells J17, K17)
Haas is often place 28th and 30th in FT rankings.

gimme back my kudos :-D

:-)
Given that I was only comparing American schools in this ranking I removed international schools from the FT ranking. That explains why American schools are ranked higher in my spreadsheet than on the actual FT rankings.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:
:-)
Given that I was only comparing American schools in this ranking I removed international schools from the FT ranking. That explains why American schools are ranked higher in my spreadsheet than on the actual FT rankings.

Sorry :)

for me Tuck, placed 18th is way ahead of IE (spain) placed 8th. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Haas really 25th? :lol: :lol:

I would place it above Tuck or about same ranking if not better

I wonder how FT comes up with these rankings. So subjective
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rpratt620 wrote:

Enjoy!

Your BW ranking is wrong. I think you have Kellogg and Wharton mixed up!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
 Q46  V40
Send PM
toro wrote:
rpratt620 wrote:

Enjoy!

Your BW ranking is wrong. I think you have Kellogg and Wharton mixed up!

No, I double checked the input and that is what was published over a ten year period with BW.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Schools:Stanford(interview, ding), Harvard( ACCEPTED! )
Send PM
Kudos
Why do people bother looking at the Economist and BW? Their ranking methods are based on strange metrics, and they deviate significantly from the true value of an MBA.

You can debate whatever metrics you like, but most people are interested in a ranking which shows the post-graduation opportunities available and the prestige associated with the degree. The Economist and BW are wrong almost from top to bottom. In particular, BW rankings use an "employer feedback" method, which doesn't make sense. For example, I'm sure Deutsche Bank is upset they cannot hire H/S/W grads for their mediocre salary, so probably prefer the Haas/Columbia grads. Does that mean Haas/Columbia are better schools? I think not ...

U.S. News rankings are the best reflection of the public perception of the degree, the quality of the admits, and the quality of the post-graduation opportunities. People want the most competitive class, the best "seal of approval" on their resume, and the highest ROI on their money AND time. When you consider this, any ranking which doesn't have H/S/W at the top probably doesn't reflect what people are interested in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, IB, Finance
Schools:Kellogg, Booth
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Kudos
neo12345 wrote:
Why do people bother looking at the Economist and BW? Their ranking methods are based on strange metrics, and they deviate significantly from the true value of an MBA.

You can debate whatever metrics you like, but most people are interested in a ranking which shows the post-graduation opportunities available and the prestige associated with the degree. The Economist and BW are wrong almost from top to bottom. In particular, BW rankings use an "employer feedback" method, which doesn't make sense. For example, I'm sure Deutsche Bank is upset they cannot hire H/S/W grads for their mediocre salary, so probably prefer the Haas/Columbia grads. Does that mean Haas/Columbia are better schools? I think not ...

U.S. News rankings are the best reflection of the public perception of the degree, the quality of the admits, and the quality of the post-graduation opportunities. People want the most competitive class, the best "seal of approval" on their resume, and the highest ROI on their money AND time. When you consider this, any ranking which doesn't have H/S/W at the top probably doesn't reflect what people are interested in.

Jesus. Could you throw more crap at the wall to make your point?

DB hires multiple grads from H/S/W every year. Just as an example.

Hopefully they teach you a bit about expectation bias at Harvard.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13