Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, I was looking for some practice tests besides the GMATPrep ones and since the GMATClub Tests have such good reviews I decided to try them.

Took the free Test yesterday, really liked the questions and the computer adaptive algorithm seemed to be working just fine so I bought the $79 3-month access package. Took a quant test this morning and it was a disaster, I got all 700-level questions except for the first three or four, I didn't finish the test in time and got almost half of the questions wrong. Took another test just in case there was something wrong with my computer and same thing all over again.

Is it normal to get all 700-level questions? Aren't these tests supposed to be computer adaptive?

Really appreciate your help!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2280

Kudos [?]: 8831 [1] , given: 3668

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi. Thanks for the question and sorry about the question difficulty.

The GMAT Club Tests are pretty much all hard questions (we figured that you did not need any easy ones as there are plenty of those and nobody feels good about solving easy questions). So you will keep getting hard 700+ level questions (you start at 650 level and after 2-3 correct answers we move you to the 700 world).

The question serving algorithm works well.
The part that is not perfect yet is the scoring. We continue to adjust it to make it in-line with the real GMAT results and it requires quite a few er correct answers than for example in GMAT Prep or MGMAT (now, it is not correct to use correct vs incorrect answers due to experimental questions) but in the case that you did not hit any experimental questions, due to the difficulty here, we do allow more errors as you are dealing with difficult questions.

Having said that, the scores will be a bit depressing and not make you feel the best. Please bear with that.
Of course if you cannot, we absolutely happy to offer a full refund no questions asked. Want you to be happy and if you are unhappy for any reason, please do not hesitate to PM me with the request.

Any other questions, please let me know.
Best Regards,
BB.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:24
Good to know! These tests will be quite a challenge then. I'll just try to take it easy on the scores.

Thanks BB!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 11:56
bb wrote:
Hi. Thanks for the question and sorry about the question difficulty.

The GMAT Club Tests are pretty much all hard questions (we figured that you did not need any easy ones as there are plenty of those and nobody feels good about solving easy questions). So you will keep getting hard 700+ level questions (you start at 650 level and after 2-3 correct answers we move you to the 700 world).

The question serving algorithm works well.
The part that is not perfect yet is the scoring. We continue to adjust it to make it in-line with the real GMAT results and it requires quite a few er correct answers than for example in GMAT Prep or MGMAT (now, it is not correct to use correct vs incorrect answers due to experimental questions) but in the case that you did not hit any experimental questions, due to the difficulty here, we do allow more errors as you are dealing with difficult questions.

Having said that, the scores will be a bit depressing and not make you feel the best. Please bear with that.
Of course if you cannot, we absolutely happy to offer a full refund no questions asked. Want you to be happy and if you are unhappy for any reason, please do not hesitate to PM me with the request.

Any other questions, please let me know.
Best Regards,
BB.

Thanks for clarifying BB.

I too was getting a bit disheartened after I saw my score.

And I do agree, Its better to be disheartened now than on exam day...:)
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8831 [0], given: 3668

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 12:23
Expert's post
I am actually collecting some data points right now and trying to run a regression analysis between real GMAT scores and GMAT Club Test scores (should have it later today)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 8831 [0], given: 3668

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:16
Expert's post
Update - it is hard to analyze and correlate some of the results since the same person may have taken multiple tests with various levels of effort and also there are not that many results at this time.

However, on average, people who have scored around 30 on the GMAT Club Tests have gotten a GMAT Score of 47. This is a pretty unreliable metrics since it is only based on 19 samples but should make you feel much better!

Founder of GMAT Club

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:58
bb wrote:
Update - it is hard to analyze and correlate some of the results since the same person may have taken multiple tests with various levels of effort and also there are not that many results at this time.

However, on average, people who have scored around 30 on the GMAT Club Tests have gotten a GMAT Score of 47. This is a pretty unreliable metrics since it is only based on 19 samples but should make you feel much better!

Thanks for your update BB.

Logically, it seems really difficult to correlate the any specific mock test scores to real GMAT scores because of different factors such as difficulty level, experimental questions etc.

I think it is better to try harder mocks tests rather than the other way around.....:)
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 10

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 10:52
I took the GMAT last year and scored 700 (Q50, V34) and am planning to re-take in 2-3 weeks. I am targetting 730+, hence would need a source where I can get enough 'appropriate difficulty' questions.
I have already exhausted MGMAT.

I think, I need two things:

1. A CAT exam source where I can evaluate my progress. I think MGAMT was good but I have now exhausted it.
2. A question bank with good amount of 700+ verbal questions where I can practice and get ready for the exam

I hear GMATClub tests are pretty good for Quant, but I need something for Verbal as I plan to focus heavily on Verbal this time. Also, I don't know if it would serve as a question bank.

Thanks in advance,
IndianExpress
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 31 Jan 2013, 05:31
Took the GMAT Club CAT (first one) .. What a brutal bunch of questions.. A million kudos to BB and the other test makers... I scored only a 37 :-( with multiple pauses but this was after a 9 to 3 working day and around 2 hours of study after that ... These are definitly challenging questions a full degree tougher then MGMAT CAT's so the review should be very interesting... BB , Is Q37 a descent score for this CAT given the record of past test takers???

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 01:57
bb wrote:

Hi BB,

I got a 35 in quant GC Test today. . How much do you think I can get on the real deal ?

Regards,
Sach

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: All 700+ questions on GMAT Club CAT Tests, is this normal?   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2013, 01:57