Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [5]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [2]
Send PM
Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am an MBA Candidate 2016 at Ivey and having seen things first hand would like to vouch for the quality that Ivey has. The network is undoubtedly the strongest/most generous in Canada. Most employers consider Ivey's grads over Schulich, Rotman and Queen's. I have seen the rate at which the 2015's have got placed and placements have never been a concern for Ivey grads. If you were to see Bloomberg's recent rating it is ranked no 1. You might also want to consider this: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015- ... ls-report/

I would like ppl. to make note of the fact that analytics and leadership courses really are as good as the top 5 schools in the US, if not better. The reason why FT ranks Ivey lowers is the undue weightage it gives to academic research, this is something that would affect you as a student. Another criteria that FT uses is - %increase in salary. It is much easier to get 400 students to the school, 100 students from India, and show a net increase of 300%.

But Ivey isnt for everybody. If you arent highly competitive and you like to take things as they come along you might just not fit the culture at Ivey. I recommend talking to atleast 3-4 current students/Ivey alumni before you make a decision on weather Ivey is good fit for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with everything. I would just add three more cons:
  • London is a very small place to live, which might matter for people with spouses who need to find a job.
  • Post graduation visas for a 1-year programme are not as good as those coming out of 2-year programmes.
  • Nobody outside Canada has heard of Western Ontario.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I would slightly disagree with Ivey's reputation (slightly). They do produce finance cases (very strong and good for case studies but I understand few schools license them). I can't recollect how I have heard of them prior to my MBA but I have known of Ivey.

Posted from my mobile device.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Unless you intend to stay and work in Canada, there is no point of considering Ivey over other Bschools.

If you want only 1 year programs, look in Europe and Asia. Some of the european and Asian schools are far better than Ivey.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Send PM
I am a Canadian PR, so priority to Canadian Schools. Having said that, I will try some US schools too.

BB: Ivey's reputation with Cases, while liaising with some Cornell alumni, they spoke high on finance cases, so yes I believe they do well in that area.

Ducksworth, valid cons.

Major look out: Canadian schools outperforming Ivey is bothering. Other than length of program, not much validating the same. Placement success is good though. Other thing is career beyond Canada....recognition

To add to these, does Ivey provide exact Career management access to PT students as well or only for FT MBA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I cant apply R1 for Ivey. Due to PR card issue (will get it 1 week later than R1 date), can only apply R2. Is that of any consequence to applying financial aids?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Send PM
sdas wrote:
I cant apply R1 for Ivey. Due to PR card issue (will get it 1 week later than R1 date), can only apply R2. Is that of any consequence to applying financial aids?

In Canada they have rolling admissions. I think if you submit after 1-2 week after Round 1 deadline, they would still consider you for R1. Best would be to communicate to Ivey Admission Committee members about your situation. I think they will encourage you to apply as early as possible, regardless of your VISA status. If some can India can apply at any time, I don't see how being in Canada can be to your disadvantage.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
It is not a disadvantage. You see PR holders will be eligible for many Canadian financial aids, which are different than international student. I asked the same to Chris Asper, who says I have to apply as international applicant in case I land in Canada a week later than R1 application....About rolling admission, who can confirm?Cause Chris never mentioned any
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Send PM
sdas wrote:
It is not a disadvantage. You see PR holders will be eligible for many Canadian financial aids, which are different than international student. I asked the same to Chris Asper, who says I have to apply as international applicant in case I land in Canada a week later than R1 application....About rolling admission, who can confirm?Cause Chris never mentioned any

Did you ask Chris whether you will be considered for Round 2 in case you apply 1 week after Round 1.Rotman said that if you submit 1 week after deadlines you will not be considered for later round. They will start reading your application once they receive the materials. Same happens for Queens/Schulich. The most important thing is to get a good GMAT score at this point in time. Once you get the score Round 1 or Round 2 will not make much of a difference.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [1]
Send PM