Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 12:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All about Richard Ivey

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 59

All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 09:00
This post was
BOOKMARKED
As much as I am inclined to Ivey 1 year intensive MBA program, for my research details I gathered, as below, I also have some unexplored fronts which needs specific and further detailing.

Going past the admission criteria, which reveals an average GMAT score of 713 and above added to strong GPA of 3.31, this school is rated highly in Canada for valid reasons as below:

1. Its curriculum is mostly CASE STUDY focused, unusually high and unique.
2. Also it focuses on CROSS ENTERPRISE LEADERSHIP - very effective approach well tailored in 1 year curriculum
3. Course is of 1 year - most suited for people like me, who does not fall in the usual age and experience requirement column of MBA applicants
4. Its ALUMNI networking outperforms most Canadian business schools - (not sure about top US schools)
5. Its class size varies between 130 - 165, comparatively smaller (Queen's is least) - something of importance to me
6. On an average about 59% students get scholarships - very important for me, since I have to self fund my education
7. London, from what I found, is comparatively cheaper in terms of expenses, unlike Toronto (I am also considering UT for application)
8. Very strong in IBanking/Consulting - following employment reports, almost 25% accounts for Financial and Consulting placements
9. Lead areas of specialization, Entrepreneurship, General Management, Leadership and Finance (here is a catch, as per reports, UT has outperformed UWO in many areas, Strategy I mention in particular)
10. Career Management - very focused group that is in action right from the beginning (of all things, I must also aim for good placement)
11. Opportunity cost works out well (at least for me)
12. Scholarships vary between 10% - 50% averaging close to 30% of tuition fees annual. Though instances of full scholarships are there, very rare.

Counter to above, some facts which itches me are:

1. Well knit 1 year program, no internship - will this affect my networking
2. Toronto - still remains the business hub
3. The ranking, I referred to many, FT is of importance here, has slipped over past 2-3 years (major) - reasons attributing to these?
4. Canadian rating has also slipped
5. International B school rating has also slipped
6. Travel/ Leisure/ Hospitality overall placements - worldwide accounts for 1 % or less, it will affect me directly

As much as RATING is not the only criteria to decide on Business School, yet it is of interest and importance to know underlying reasons.

All comments are welcome....

Sources: FT, Businessweek, QS, School website

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++

-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Last edited by sdas on 03 May 2013, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 215

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 14:42
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with everything. I would just add three more cons:
  • London is a very small place to live, which might matter for people with spouses who need to find a job.
  • Post graduation visas for a 1-year programme are not as good as those coming out of 2-year programmes.
  • Nobody outside Canada has heard of Western Ontario.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9470 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 16:22
Expert's post
I would slightly disagree with Ivey's reputation (slightly). They do produce finance cases (very strong and good for case studies but I understand few schools license them). I can't recollect how I have heard of them prior to my MBA but I have known of Ivey.

Posted from my mobile device.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 989 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 19:50
Unless you intend to stay and work in Canada, there is no point of considering Ivey over other Bschools.

If you want only 1 year programs, look in Europe and Asia. Some of the european and Asian schools are far better than Ivey.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 11:04
I am a Canadian PR, so priority to Canadian Schools. Having said that, I will try some US schools too.

BB: Ivey's reputation with Cases, while liaising with some Cornell alumni, they spoke high on finance cases, so yes I believe they do well in that area.

Ducksworth, valid cons.

Major look out: Canadian schools outperforming Ivey is bothering. Other than length of program, not much validating the same. Placement success is good though. Other thing is career beyond Canada....recognition

To add to these, does Ivey provide exact Career management access to PT students as well or only for FT MBA?

Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 08:52
No school in Canada has an average GMAT of over 700. Richard Ivey's average GMAT is 670.
Having said that Ivey is a solid school at par with Queen's and Rotman.

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/alumni/invest-in ... neral.html

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 09:26
AbhiJ wrote:
No school in Canada has an average GMAT of over 700. Richard Ivey's average GMAT is 670.
Having said that Ivey is a solid school at par with Queen's and Rotman.

http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/alumni/invest-in ... neral.html

Abhi, can you elaborate what are your comparative bases for Queens and Rottman, particularly I am trying to find out the ranking drop. Few years back, Ivey outperformed every other Canadian schools major....in canada and also worldwide ratings, if you have been following ratings. Last 2 years, it has taken a dip I notice, not that ranking is the only criteria to judge, but I see an anomaly. No B school in Canada matches Ivey's placement records, despite of being 1 year program, but its ranking is slipping. this year's was a shocker at 78, with not much explained from the Dean.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 12:16
I cant apply R1 for Ivey. Due to PR card issue (will get it 1 week later than R1 date), can only apply R2. Is that of any consequence to applying financial aids?

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 01:04
sdas wrote:
I cant apply R1 for Ivey. Due to PR card issue (will get it 1 week later than R1 date), can only apply R2. Is that of any consequence to applying financial aids?

In Canada they have rolling admissions. I think if you submit after 1-2 week after Round 1 deadline, they would still consider you for R1. Best would be to communicate to Ivey Admission Committee members about your situation. I think they will encourage you to apply as early as possible, regardless of your VISA status. If some can India can apply at any time, I don't see how being in Canada can be to your disadvantage.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 112 [1] , given: 59

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
It is not a disadvantage. You see PR holders will be eligible for many Canadian financial aids, which are different than international student. I asked the same to Chris Asper, who says I have to apply as international applicant in case I land in Canada a week later than R1 application....About rolling admission, who can confirm?Cause Chris never mentioned any

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 03:58
sdas wrote:
It is not a disadvantage. You see PR holders will be eligible for many Canadian financial aids, which are different than international student. I asked the same to Chris Asper, who says I have to apply as international applicant in case I land in Canada a week later than R1 application....About rolling admission, who can confirm?Cause Chris never mentioned any

Did you ask Chris whether you will be considered for Round 2 in case you apply 1 week after Round 1.Rotman said that if you submit 1 week after deadlines you will not be considered for later round. They will start reading your application once they receive the materials. Same happens for Queens/Schulich. The most important thing is to get a good GMAT score at this point in time. Once you get the score Round 1 or Round 2 will not make much of a difference.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 12:26
I have listed few more queries to be directed to Chris, lets hope for the best. Please share opinions on - is it fine to disclose about 2 years post graduate diploma in business administration (distance learning, thus completed in 4 years instead of 2 years)? I am just worried, how will the committee react to this added education and then again apply for MBA full time...any leads please help

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2013, 03:18
Some Admission Consultants may be able to weigh better on this. Having said that your degree is not going to be a disadvantage as its a distance learning course and shows your interest. You can say that you had interest that's why you took the distance learning program and build your foundations before pursuing a Case Method based 1 year full time degree to maximize your learning.

Do you have any idea as to how Ivey fares for Career Changers.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: All about Richard Ivey [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 20:43
Good news, got confirmation from Asper regarding rolling admission, I can apply R1 which makes me eligible for fin aids. Any leads of reference letters.....will like to have a lengthy chat with my referees explaining them, before asking for reference.

And many thanks Abhi, I have indeed directed my question to some experts, waiting for advise

Re: All about Richard Ivey   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2013, 20:43