Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All About the Threads

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 2

All About the Threads [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 07:02
At my credit union, we work specifically with low-income people who may or may not be comfortable in the traditional banking system. As a friendly, welcoming place, we dress casually - jeans, tennis shoes, etc - in order to be more accessible. Since I've basically worked here since leaving college, I haven't really developed a "business casual" wardrobe.

So could someone describe what a woman in business casual might wear? I have an event this weekend, and the dress code is casual, but I really wish I could just wear a suit. It's so much easier.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 07:44
Business casual - a step below a suit. So dress pants/skirt and a top, no jacket.

Even if the dress code is casual for this event - I would never wear jeans/khakies unless its a BBQ.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 07:46
BTW, I don't know who is hosting the event you are going to, but if it is related to business schools, expect to see a bunch of people wearing suits anyway...
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 08:28
Women seem to be all over the place in terms of business casual, I'll definitely have to defer to Econgirl or any of the other women on this board.

But I just have to chime in that I hate business casual. If I could wear jeans every day that would be great. If I had to wear a suit every day, that's fine. But the whole khakis or slacks and a button down thing makes me look like I work at Blockbuster or something. A suit gives you some dignity, and jeans let you be yourself. Business casual sucks.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 08:30
johnnyx9 wrote:
But the whole khakis or slacks and a button down thing makes me look like I work at Blockbuster or something. A suit gives you some dignity, and jeans let you be yourself. Business casual sucks.

AMEN!
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:15
EconGirl wrote:
BTW, I don't know who is hosting the event you are going to, but if it is related to business schools, expect to see a bunch of people wearing suits anyway...

Yes, it's b-school related. Maybe I could just wear one of my suits that is less traditional. It's a sort of strange color combination - not loud, but when you look, it's not black or brown or navy or something. I love this suit - I had it tailored and I just feel great when I wear it.

I was afraid you'd say "suit without jacket." Button-downs don't really work for me, so I don't have any of those. And I lost at least 2 inches off my waist since spring, so NOTHING fits well anymore. I just spent the last two hours trying on everything in my closet. Talk about frustrating.

The good news is that I found this patent-leather miniskirt that I bought in high school. That fits! I have to find a club to get to now!!!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:17
johnnyx9 wrote:
Women seem to be all over the place in terms of business casual, I'll definitely have to defer to Econgirl or any of the other women on this board.

But I just have to chime in that I hate business casual. If I could wear jeans every day that would be great. If I had to wear a suit every day, that's fine. But the whole khakis or slacks and a button down thing makes me look like I work at Blockbuster or something. A suit gives you some dignity, and jeans let you be yourself. Business casual sucks.

My point exactly.....
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:17
I've heard that it's a good idea to show you butt crack these days.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:19
pelihu wrote:
I've heard that it's a good idea to show you butt crack these days.

Really? So cleavage is out of style, huh? Man, I'll just have to bust out a thong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:21
sports bra, daisy dukes, high heels, and a cowboy hat.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:22
eazyb81 wrote:

Well, here's what I have:

sports bra, the skirt mentioned above, high-heeled knee-high boots, and a beret.

Close enough?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:25
Cleavage will never be out of style.

I love how every office has that one woman who's like forty, and she dresses like a total sexpot, short skirts and all that, lots of makeup. Or maybe I'm just extrapolating from the few offices I've worked in.

My first job out of school we had to wear suits, but since we were all fresh out of college we weren't exactly wearing Gucci and Armani, but most of us managed to get by on a couple of decent Mens Wearhouse suits. But there was this one kid who cracked me up because when he took his suit jacket off, you could see through the back of his white button-down shirt to the t-shirt underneath. 99% of men either wear like a plain white undershirt or no undershirt, but this kid would wear t-shirts with things like, "CollegeFest 2000!" or "Pearl Jam" on them and you could see them through the back of his button-down. Funny stuff, I wonder if anyone ever explained this to him.
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 0

Re: All About the Threads [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:27
aaudetat wrote:
So could someone describe what a woman in business casual might wear? I have an event this weekend, and the dress code is casual, but I really wish I could just wear a suit. It's so much easier.

Well, is it a fund raiser? If it is so, you should go with the "as slutty as you can pull out" look. That way you'll be doing some organization a service, coz men tend to donate more when...you get my point.

Otherwise, go with a tailleur, medium heels, a nice blouse, a little make-up, not too many accessories but not too little. Think Ally Mc Beal with a longer skirt or with a pair of trousers.

Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:28
aaudetat wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

Well, here's what I have:

sports bra, the skirt mentioned above, high-heeled knee-high boots, and a beret.

Close enough?

that should suffice, just make sure to hike that skirt up. It also wouldn't hurt to have your thong stick out just a bit to give the adcomm something to remember.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:41
By the way, with the mysterious way you described your "less traditional" suit I'm imagining it's either like bright yellow, or tie-dyed. What color is it?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 09:44
I work in a business casual environment... I can tell you for a fact that women are a huge problem in terms of dress code. Dress code for guys is pretty simplistic, dress pants or khakis and a shirt with a collar... Girls on the other hand... What a mess. I've seen 'em sent home, spoken to, given warnings etc for dress code violations. Granted as a 26yr old male I agree with the rest of the guys here that I want to see skin... but I'm not sure if that would be seen in the highest light by older and potentially more conservative individuals.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 10:05
Mark4124 wrote:
I work in a business casual environment... I can tell you for a fact that women are a huge problem in terms of dress code. Dress code for guys is pretty simplistic, dress pants or khakis and a shirt with a collar... Girls on the other hand... What a mess. I've seen 'em sent home, spoken to, given warnings etc for dress code violations. Granted as a 26yr old male I agree with the rest of the guys here that I want to see skin... but I'm not sure if that would be seen in the highest light by older and potentially more conservative individuals.

Yea, a lot of girls, especially the young ones fresh out of college, dress as they would to a nightclub. It can be pretty distracting.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 10:18
johnnyx9 wrote:
By the way, with the mysterious way you described your "less traditional" suit I'm imagining it's either like bright yellow, or tie-dyed. What color is it?

Ok, it sounds totally heinous, but I promise it's not.

It's a whole mix of colors - yellow, green, red, blue, black, brown - in a really really tiny pattern. It reminds me of staring really closely at your TV, where you see the little blue, yellow, and red boxes, but if you back away a bit, you don't notice the specific colors.

No, I wouldn't wear it to interview with Big Bad Rich Guy Bank, but it does look nice.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 10:26
Ok, thanks for your help. Last question:

can you wear pull-over shirts? Button-down blouses really don't work for me, so I wear a lot of knit tops. What about something like this, with nice trousers and medium heels?

No, I don't have anything this pink and I wouldn't show that much cleavage. But these knit tops are the sort of thing I have.

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Pr ... pe=Product
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 10:57
How about a "business skirt" with a button down shirt and a sweater over it? I think that is very typical business casual. keeps you warm too!
  [#permalink] 07 Mar 2007, 10:57