Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2015, 03:00
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 129
Location: Ukraine, Kyiv
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 60

All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists. [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 11:25
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

45% (01:52) correct 55% (01:20) wrong based on 211 sessions
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

A) Except for Marx, if someone is an idealist philosopher, then he or she is German.
B) Marx is the only non-German philosopher who is an idealist.
C) If a German is an idealist, then he or she is a philosopher, as long as he or she is not Marx.
D) Marx is not an idealist German philosopher.
E) Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist
_________________

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 59
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 11:28
D
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2009
Posts: 64
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 18:47
I would say E.
E says all Germans other than Marx are idealists. All philosophers are included.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 May 2009
Posts: 61
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 19:15
IMO E...
Philosophers included....
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 156
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 4

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2009, 23:02
Clear E here
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 06:05
I'd say D.

E seems to say that all German are idealists, but shouldn't it be only German philosophers ?

Not all Germans are philosophers
Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 18 Oct 2009
Posts: 59
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 07:31
What is the OA.
Can someone explain why it is E? The premise is that all german philosophers except Marx are idealist. We don't know if all germans are idealist unless we are told all germans are philosophers. And the question doesnt say that.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jul 2009
Posts: 129
Location: Ukraine, Kyiv
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 60

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 08:02
PrincetonMBA2007 wrote:
What is the OA.
Can someone explain why it is E? The premise is that all german philosophers except Marx are idealist. We don't know if all germans are idealist unless we are told all germans are philosophers. And the question doesnt say that.


The OA is E.
You need to read the question stem carefully. It states FROM which of the FOLLOWING (answer choices) can the statement ABOVE be most properly inferred. Choice E presents all the necessary information for correct inference. Choice D simply restates the argument.
_________________

Never, never, never give up

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 91

Kudos [?]: 523 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 10:48
Expert's post
Ah, I get it now! The question, in a sense, is backwards. Very sneaky.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 04:53
barakhaiev wrote:
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

A) Except for Marx, if someone is an idealist philosopher, then he or she is German.
B) Marx is the only non-German philosopher who is an idealist.
C) If a German is an idealist, then he or she is a philosopher, as long as he or she is not Marx.
D) Marx is not an idealist German philosopher.
E) Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist


I got D, but I understand why D is wrong because it restates the argument, but I don't understand why E is the correct answer. I could choose E by pure POE, but I don't get the logic of E. The argument is not talking about ALL the Germans, but rather about the Germans WHO ARE philosophers. In option E, it's saying that if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist?? WTF? how come?? What about the Germans WHO ARE NOT philosophers?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 156
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 4

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 06:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Hey, dude. I see your point.
But read again a question.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

It's non-standard question.
Here initially stated the INFERENCE, not an argument. And E. is an argument. From E you should infer what is stated in the begining, but not vice versa.

Argument: Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist

Clearly we can infer that:
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.


Hope this help


GMATFIGHTER wrote:
barakhaiev wrote:
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

A) Except for Marx, if someone is an idealist philosopher, then he or she is German.
B) Marx is the only non-German philosopher who is an idealist.
C) If a German is an idealist, then he or she is a philosopher, as long as he or she is not Marx.
D) Marx is not an idealist German philosopher.
E) Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist


I got D, but I understand why D is wrong because it restates the argument, but I don't understand why E is the correct answer. I could choose E by pure POE, but I don't get the logic of E. The argument is not talking about ALL the Germans, but rather about the Germans WHO ARE philosophers. In option E, it's saying that if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist?? WTF? how come?? What about the Germans WHO ARE NOT philosophers?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2009
Posts: 40
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 06:34
bsv180985 wrote:
Hey, dude. I see your point.
But read again a question.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

It's non-standard question.
Here initially stated the INFERENCE, not an argument. And E. is an argument. From E you should infer what is stated in the begining, but not vice versa.

Argument: Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist

Clearly we can infer that:
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.


Hope this help


GMATFIGHTER wrote:
barakhaiev wrote:
All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

From which of the following can the statement above be most properly inferred?

A) Except for Marx, if someone is an idealist philosopher, then he or she is German.
B) Marx is the only non-German philosopher who is an idealist.
C) If a German is an idealist, then he or she is a philosopher, as long as he or she is not Marx.
D) Marx is not an idealist German philosopher.
E) Aside from the philosopher Marx, if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist


I got D, but I understand why D is wrong because it restates the argument, but I don't understand why E is the correct answer. I could choose E by pure POE, but I don't get the logic of E. The argument is not talking about ALL the Germans, but rather about the Germans WHO ARE philosophers. In option E, it's saying that if someone is a German, then he or she is an idealist?? WTF? how come?? What about the Germans WHO ARE NOT philosophers?



OH MY GOD! I never knew that such a twisting question can even exist. Can such a question type exist on the real GMAT? Wow, so intead of making an inference from an argument, we're rather looking for a statement to justify an inference. Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 237
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 25

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 00:31
+1 FOR E
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 32
Location: Lahore, Pakistan
Schools: going to Melbourne Business School
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Marx [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 12:16
barakhaiev wrote:
PrincetonMBA2007 wrote:
What is the OA.
Can someone explain why it is E? The premise is that all german philosophers except Marx are idealist. We don't know if all germans are idealist unless we are told all germans are philosophers. And the question doesnt say that.


The OA is E.
You need to read the question stem carefully. It states FROM which of the FOLLOWING (answer choices) can the statement ABOVE be most properly inferred. Choice E presents all the necessary information for correct inference. Choice D simply restates the argument.



Good one, could not be explained more clearly than this, BUT I would like to remind us all an important point here.
In case of Inference/Must be true questions: prephrased argument as an answer choice CAN BE correct. (powerscore Bible)


cheers,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 5062
Followers: 528

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists. [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2015, 22:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2015, 22:00
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Theory on all of the following weaken the argument except TheLostOne 1 02 Dec 2013, 11:15
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists. Yalephd 11 27 Jan 2011, 14:59
22 Experts publish their posts in the topic All German philosphers, except for Marx, are idealists. kidchaos 29 09 Sep 2010, 03:26
The philosopher Socrates was considered by the traditions of Swagatalakshmi 15 06 Sep 2006, 15:29
All German philosphers, except for Marx, are idealists. From kedarthumma 9 30 May 2006, 21:17
Display posts from previous: Sort by

All German philosophers, except for Marx, are idealists.

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.