Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 04:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All intelligent people are nearsighted. I am very

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

All intelligent people are nearsighted. I am very [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 08:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:54) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
22. All intelligent people are nearsighted. I am very nearsighted. So I must be a genius.

Which one of the following exhibits both of the logical flaws exhibited in the argument above?

(A) I must be stupid because all intelligent people are nearsighted and I have perfect eyesight.
(B) All chickens have beaks. This bird has a beak. So this bird must be a chicken.
(C) All pigs have four legs, but this spider has eight legs. So this spider must be twice as big as any pig.
(D) John is extremely happy, so he must be extremely tall because all tall people are happy.
(E) All geniuses are very nearsighted. I must be very nearsighted since I am a genius.

Any good methods for attacking this type of Q?
Thanks
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

Re: CR - Vision [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 09:27
exy18 wrote:
22. All intelligent people are nearsighted. I am very nearsighted. So I must be a genius.

Which one of the following exhibits both of the logical flaws exhibited in the argument above?

(A) I must be stupid because all intelligent people are nearsighted and I have perfect eyesight.
(B) All chickens have beaks. This bird has a beak. So this bird must be a chicken.
(C) All pigs have four legs, but this spider has eight legs. So this spider must be twice as big as any pig.
(D) John is extremely happy, so he must be extremely tall because all tall people are happy.
(E) All geniuses are very nearsighted. I must be very nearsighted since I am a genius.

Thanks

yes, there is ,check out akamai's notes on CR's

I think the answer is B.

thanks
praetorian
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 09:28
For CR problems, always try and paraphrase an answer before reading the choices.

In this particular problem, the first two sentences are the evidence. The last sentence is the conclusion. Before looking at the answer choices, try paraphrasing an answer:

The first logical flaw in the argument is that all nearsighted people are intelligent. The evidence says that all intelligent people are nearsighted, NOT the other way around. There is a difference! The next logical flaw is that the evidence doesn't support that the more nearsighted someone is, the smarter that person would be. Look for an answer that has these same flaws: a conclusion that is both "turned around" and wrongly "extrapolated."

a) This choice is incorrect because it shows a logical conclusion from the evidence (although the word stupid is a little strong as a description for not intelligent).

b) Almost, but not quite. This choice only has one of the logical flaws, not both.

c) Wrong! The conclusion about size is a dead giveaway. There was nothing mentioned about size in any of the evidence.

d) This is the best answer. All tall people are happy, but that doesnt mean other people can't be happy. That's the first flaw similar to the original argument. The second flaw is that he is extremely happy becuase is he is extrememly tall. This is exactly like the "extrapolation" flaw in the original argument.

e) This is a perfectly logical conclusion based on the evidence. Therefore it is an incorrect choice.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 09:32
I hope I got the right answer! :wink:

Hopefully I can live up to my GMAT verbal score I got last Friday! :lol:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 11:03
hota wrote:
I hope I got the right answer! :wink:

Hopefully I can live up to my GMAT verbal score I got last Friday! :lol:

D is correct, nice job
Did u see similar questions during the actual test?
Intern
Intern

Re: CR - Vision [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 11:09
praetorian123 wrote:
exy18 wrote:

Thanks

yes, there is ,check out akamai's notes on CR's

I think the answer is B.

thanks
praetorian

Where do I find akamai's guide?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2003, 13:20
exy18 wrote:

D is correct, nice job
Did u see similar questions during the actual test?

I don't recall seeing this exact type of question, but there were similar types that tested the same concept. However, I was familiar with most of the questions that I encountered on the verbal part of the exam through practice with PowerPrep, the Official Guide, and Kapalan.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 01:42
D it is
VP
VP
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Vision [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 02:14
exy18 wrote:

Thanks

Thanks for digging out this gem of a question. Highlighted words are parallel. D is the answer. :wink:

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Re: CR - Vision   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2006, 02:14