Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 06:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:18) correct 44% (01:34) wrong based on 138 sessions
All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.

If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

(A) Smoking often lie about how much they smoke.
(B) People often knowingly exaggerate without intending to lie.
(C) All John's friends know the same lifelong heavy smoker.
(D) Most of John's friends are not telling the truth.
(E) Some of John's friends are not telling the truth.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 04 Jun 2013, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 0

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2010, 11:33
aimkp wrote:
All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

Hi!

Here we have an inference question - we're looking for a conclusion that MUST be true based on one or more of the statements in the stimulus.

Inference stimuli are not arguments (i.e. they don't contain evidence, a conclusion and rely on assumptions) - they're usually just a loose collection of facts. Accordingly, it's very difficult to predict the answer to an inference question. Instead, we evaluate each choice, asking if it MUST be true.

Paraphrasing the stimulus:

All John's friends make a claim; John can't make the same claim; it's certain that some of his friends can't as well.

To the choices:

A) Assuming the first word should be "smokers" - no info about what smokers say about their own habits - outside the scope, eliminate A.

B) People "often"... as soon as you see the word "often", we know that B is too extreme. We can't extrapolate about what often happens based on a small sample size. In general, beware of extreme answers on inference questions.

C) The stimulus actually tells us that some of John's friends are in the same position as John, i.e. they can't really make the claim. (C), therefore, must be false - eliminate.

D) We know that John isn't unique, but "most" is too extreme - eliminate (D).

E) Perfect! If John isn't unique among his friends in not being able to make the claim, but ALL of his friends have made it, then SOME of them must be lying - choose (E)!

Stuart Kovinsky
stuart.kovinsky@kaplan.com
Kaplan Test Prep & Admissions
Toronto Office
1-800-KAP-TEST
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 15:05
To skovinsky,

My ans is D. Would you explain a little bit why can't it be D?

From my view, What if John is really unique, would the ans is D?
Moreover, the question state quite clear that all of his friends know sbd smoke hard but still healthy.
Since the question is extreme, our answer should extreme too.

thanet
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 109

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 17:38
Thanet wrote:
To skovinsky,

Moreover, the question state quite clear that all of his friends know sbd smoke hard but still healthy.

thanet

+1 E

Cannot be D because the argument mentions "...he is not unique among his friends in this respect". In this sense, probably there is only one of his friends who is providing wrong information. Thefore, you cannot say that MOST of his friends are not telling the truth.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 20:50
Good explanation.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 51

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 23:44
that was straight forward . all you need to do is to think in terms of a set or venn diagram

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

2 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 952 [2] , given: 376

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 09:54
This post received
KUDOS
aimkp wrote:

This question is actually not testing our logical thinking so much as it is testing our comfort level in English.

John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
<=>
John does not know anyone like that and it is also true that John is not the only one, who doesn't know any such person, among his friends.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2011, 19:43
e
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 10:06
fluke wrote:
aimkp wrote:

This question is actually not testing our logical thinking so much as it is testing our comfort level in English.

John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
<=>
John does not know anyone like that and it is also true that John is not the only one, who doesn't know any such person, among his friends.

Dear Fluke
you nailed it man
even i misses this importance of this 'Unique' word :( :( :(

Thanks god you literally printed my thoughts over here :wink: :wink:

WarLocK

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2013, 23:54
metallicafan wrote:
Thanet wrote:
To skovinsky,

thanet

+1 E

Cannot be D because the argument mentions "...he is not unique among his friends in this respect". In this sense, probably there is only one of his friends who is providing wrong information. Thefore, you cannot say that MOST of his friends are not telling the truth.

But it is said "ALl of john's friends " --- why not most in this case ?? Please elaborate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 142

Re: need help in CR to sort out doubt ?? [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2013, 00:11
ruplun wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
Thanet wrote:
To skovinsky,

thanet

+1 E

But it is said "ALl of john's friends " --- why not most in this case ?? Please elaborate

most means > 50%
some means - unspecified amount, but not zero.

From the premises, we cannot be sure that more than 50% of the John's friend are liars, but we can certainly say some are liars. These some can go from 1-99%. 100% would be ALL.

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well."
― Voltaire

Press Kudos, if I have helped.
Thanks!

shit-happens-my-journey-to-172475.html#p1372807

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 02:18
I am not sure if the answer is "E".
My perspective is the passage says that

"All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarette ... "
and question says

"If the statements in the passage are TRUE .... "

So I assumed that all of John's friends are speaking the truth. This is my perspective. Please correct me if I am wrong.

IMO, answer is B
GMAT Pill Representative
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Followers: 140

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 4

Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 06:45
Hi - The key phrase in the question is

say they know someone

I.e. for the passage to be true (as it says) the people just have to have said that they know some one. They don't actually have to have been telling the truth.

So E is the correct answer.

Hope that helps

James

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2013, 23:20
plumber250 wrote:
Hi - The key phrase in the question is

say they know someone

I.e. for the passage to be true (as it says) the people just have to have said that they know some one. They don't actually have to have been telling the truth.

So E is the correct answer.

Hope that helps

James

Thanks James,

That was a blunder from my side. :shock:

Regards,
Arvind
Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2013, 23:20