Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1139 [43]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [14]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [5]
Given Kudos: 98
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q51 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarett [#permalink]
Kudos
- Since, John is not unique, some of the friends must not know the smoker, so some of them are lying.

(A) Smoking often lie about how much they smoke.
- No relation.

(B) People often knowingly exaggerate without intending to lie.
- No relation.

(C) All John's friends know the same lifelong heavy smoker.
-'Lifelong heavy smoker' is never mentioned in passage.

(D) Most of John's friends are not telling the truth.
- We can not conclude on 'most' part.

(E) Some of John's friends are not telling the truth.
-My take. This one is the answer.

Can you please confirm ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: All of John's friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarett [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
E because "he is not unique" means some of his friends do not know that fact, but the stem says "all of his friends know". So some of his friends must lie...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Has to be E Since
Arg 1) "All of John's friends say they know someone ..."
Arg 2) "John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect."

Since "all" of John;s friend say they know someone and John believe he doesn't know and he is not "unique" then definetely some of his friends are lying. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Investment banking
Schools:kellogg, booth, stern, ann arbor
Send PM
Kudos
i thought it was among B, D, and E. since "most" and "some" seem pretty strong, i figured it would be B.

as far as C, the stimulus says that John doesn't know anyone who smokes in such a manner and he is sure that not ALL of his friends know someone who does. so in this respect, at least 1 of his friends does not know anyone who smokes 40 cigs a day neither. therefore, the idea that ALL of his friends know the same smoker must be false. this is my reason for disregarding C.

anyone know why its E? what is the difference (at least by gmat standards) between "most" and "some"?

Originally posted by azule45 on 01 Mar 2010, 14:39.
Last edited by azule45 on 02 Mar 2010, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
vaivish1723 wrote:
All of John’s friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?
(A) Smokers often lie about how much they smoke.
(B) People often knowingly exaggerate without intending to lie.
(C) All John’s friends know the same lifelong heavy smoker.
(D) Most of John’s friends are not telling the truth.
(E) Some of John’s friends are not telling the truth.

Oa is

Why cant c be OA?

I first opted for C.
But i think there is a valid logic behind E.

C can be rejected on the basis of the premise that John is not unique, means he is not the only guy who doesn't know heavy smoker.

Let's say there are 10 guys including John. If we choose option C, it means 9 guys know heavy smoker and John becomes unique.

In option E, lets say 7 guys know (they say so)heavy smoker, and 2 are just lying for one reason or another, but they say they know, then actually John is not the only one who doesn't know the heavy smoker. And also the condition that "All of John’s friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well" is fulfilled.

FINALLY E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
It has to be E. Statement says that "All of John’s friends say", then it indicates that "John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect". That means that some of John's friends are untruthful. Most will not work as we don't know how many.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:ISB
Send PM
E looks fine to me but at the same time A can also be a contender. Expert pls advise what is wrong with A?
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 451 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
RenukaD wrote:
E looks fine to me but at the same time A can also be a contender. Expert pls advise what is wrong with A?

Hi,

we can't infer anything about smokers themselves lying. We can infer that some people who say they know healthy heavy smokers are lying.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 266 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools:UC Berkley, UCLA
GMAT 2: 540 GMAT 3: 530
Send PM
I don't fully understand the difference b/n some and most. Some could mean half, less than half or more than half most means definitely more than half. Am I right? And if that is the case how would one be able to tell the difference between the two choices? :roll:
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mariyea wrote:
I don't fully understand the difference b/n some and most. Some could mean half, less than half or more than half most means definitely more than half. Am I right? And if that is the case how would one be able to tell the difference between the two choices? :roll:

Some means 'at least 1'.
Most means 'greatest quantity'.
e.g. He got the most votes.
If there were 3 people, he could have had 40 votes. So it isn't necessarily more than half. Just 'any majority'.
Most of his friends would imply more than 50% since there will be two groups only - his friends who are telling the truth and his friends who are not telling the truth.

We can say that at least 1 of his friends is lying (so that he is not unique). There is no reason to say that more than 50% of his friends are lying.
Though, ambiguous question according to GMAT standards. I wouldn't worry about it.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [3]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos