Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All of John s friends say they know someone who has smoked

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

All of John s friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 06:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
All of John’s friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?
(A) Smokers often lie about how much they smoke.
(B) People often knowingly exaggerate without intending to lie.
(C) All John’s friends know the same lifelong heavy smoker.
(D) Most of John’s friends are not telling the truth.
(E) Some of John’s friends are not telling the truth.

Last edited by Vlad77 on 06 Aug 2007, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: Try hard RC [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 07:04
Vlad77 wrote:
All of John’s friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.

If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?

EEE
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Try hard RC [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 12:02
Vlad77 wrote:

This is an odd question.
"it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect."
I would say the answer is D, although I do not know what the difference with E would be.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 12:58
i would say E. I ruled 'D' out because 'most' to me implies greater than 50% (for example), and nowhere in the passage does it give us enough information to come to such a strong conclusion. Its fairly safe to say that 'some' is OK though ...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2007, 22:32
Actually I will go with C.

A. Nothing to do with passage
B. Nothing to do with th passage
C. Correct
D. Most can be 90% not ALL
E. Some means (some but not 100%).

The passage states, "All of John’s friends say they know someone"
Then we know that it is unique to have a 40 cig 40 year smoking person.
Thus, we think it is one person b/c ALL of the friends know a person with same background.

Thus, the answer is C.

Edit: Plus it states: "who is really fit and well." This refers to one person not many. Many would use are.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 01:49
rateesquad wrote:

C. Correct

Thus, we think it is one person b/c ALL of the friends know a person with same background.

Thus, the answer is C.

Edit: Plus it states: "who is really fit and well." This refers to one person not many. Many would use are.

That's pretty good reasoning. I was pondering this answer choice.. C seems more probable than some other choices.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 03:57
The OA is E.

Who votes for E, please explain...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Try hard RC [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 11:48
Vlad77 wrote:
'

where did you get this question from? it seems junky to me. here is why:

right of the bat D and E are saying essentially the same thing. If you want to differentiate them, then you could take 'most' to mean 'more than half, but not all'. and then i guess you could think of some as 'less than half but more than none'... but the distinction doesn't serve any purpose in evaluating the argument. Also:

ALL of John's friends say they know someone... smoked.. and fit and well.

when viewed against the other premise of the argument, then ALL of John's friends would be lying. not just some or most.

ALSO:

If the statements in the passage are true, well then they are telling the truth aren't they? Saying i know someone who smokes and is healthy is a statement. The question stem says statements in the stimulus are true.

with that in mind, we must consider that John does not know any smokers that fit this description. So (C) all of John's friends must know this same magical life long smoker, and John must not. LOL.

Please post the source of the question and their official reasoning if you can. If this isn't from ETS I'd say this one is rubbish.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 11:52
rateesquad wrote:

C. Correct

Thus, the answer is C.

no, the grammar is correct. Someone is singular. I agree with C. I would go with D if it said ALL of them were lying... but the stem says all statements are true anyway, so no one is lying.
Director
Director

Re: Try hard RC [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2007, 11:55
anonymousegmat wrote:
Vlad77 wrote:
'

where did you get this question from? it seems junky to me. here is why:

right of the bat D and E are saying essentially the same thing. If you want to differentiate them, then you could take 'most' to mean 'more than half, but not all'. and then i guess you could think of some as 'less than half but more than none'... but the distinction doesn't serve any purpose in evaluating the argument. Also:

ALL of John's friends say they know someone... smoked.. and fit and well.

when viewed against the other premise of the argument, then ALL of John's friends would be lying. not just some or most.

ALSO:

If the statements in the passage are true, well then they are telling the truth aren't they? Saying i know someone who smokes and is healthy is a statement. The question stem says statements in the stimulus are true.

with that in mind, we must consider that John does not know any smokers that fit this description. So (C) all of John's friends must know this same magical life long smoker, and John must not. LOL.

Please post the source of the question and their official reasoning if you can. If this isn't from ETS I'd say this one is rubbish.

couldn't agree more!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Try hard RC [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 06:53
Vlad77 wrote:

It is from CR1000 (LSAT section)

I suppose that the trick here in the phrase "it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect". If he is not unique that means that some of his friends also does not know this man. Thus, some of John’s friends are not telling the truth (E) :shock: !!!
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 09:52
Remember 'some' means 'one or more' so E is the choice that says that atleast one of John's friends is lying...We can be sure of that.

'Most' makes the choice D go out of scope.

So,always be skeptical when u see 'Most' or 'Some'.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2007, 09:53
Sorry...Repeated by mistake.
  [#permalink] 06 Aug 2007, 09:53