Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All of John s friends say they know someone who has smoked

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 19:16
I went for D, but I guess E would be stronger to make John not unique. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2010, 13:29
E seems more reasonable than D, because for John not to be unique amongst his friends only one needs to not be telling the truth (i.e. "Some" is more reasonable than the more extreme "Most"). . .so E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 07:40
I don't fully understand the difference b/n some and most. Some could mean half, less than half or more than half most means definitely more than half. Am I right? And if that is the case how would one be able to tell the difference between the two choices? :roll:

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5359 [1] , given: 165

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 11:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
mariyea wrote:
I don't fully understand the difference b/n some and most. Some could mean half, less than half or more than half most means definitely more than half. Am I right? And if that is the case how would one be able to tell the difference between the two choices? :roll:

Some means 'at least 1'.
Most means 'greatest quantity'.
e.g. He got the most votes.
If there were 3 people, he could have had 40 votes. So it isn't necessarily more than half. Just 'any majority'.
Most of his friends would imply more than 50% since there will be two groups only - his friends who are telling the truth and his friends who are not telling the truth.

We can say that at least 1 of his friends is lying (so that he is not unique). There is no reason to say that more than 50% of his friends are lying.
Though, ambiguous question according to GMAT standards. I wouldn't worry about it.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2010, 16:04
vaivish1723 wrote:
All of John’s friends say they know someone who has smoked 40 cigarettes a day for the past 40 years and yet who is really fit and well. John does not know anyone like that and it is quite certain that he is not unique among his friends in this respect.
If the statements in the passage are true, then which one of the following must also be true?
(A) Smokers often lie about how much they smoke. the question has nothing to do about smokers lying but more about John's friends
(B) People often knowingly exaggerate without intending to lie. we can deduce this from the argument
(C) All John’s friends know the same lifelong heavy smoker. no in fact this is counter to the stmt which mentions John is quite certain he is not unique among his friends in this respect
(D) Most of John’s friends are not telling the truth. we don't know how many of his friends are telling the truth or not
(E) Some of John’s friends are not telling the truth.correct at least one friend (which qualifies as some) is not telling the truth

Oa is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
e

Why cant c be OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UC Berkley, UCLA

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 66

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2010, 05:34
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
mariyea wrote:

Some means 'at least 1'.
Most means 'greatest quantity'.
e.g. He got the most votes.
If there were 3 people, he could have had 40 votes. So it isn't necessarily more than half. Just 'any majority'.
Most of his friends would imply more than 50% since there will be two groups only - his friends who are telling the truth and his friends who are not telling the truth.

We can say that at least 1 of his friends is lying (so that he is not unique). There is no reason to say that more than 50% of his friends are lying.
Though, ambiguous question according to GMAT standards. I wouldn't worry about it.

That was very helpful Karishma! Thank you :)

Thank you for your kudoses Everyone!!!

"It always seems impossible until its done."
-Nelson Mandela

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 04 May 2011, 03:16
'he is not unique among his friends in this respect.' this statement is the difference between D and E .D can not be inferred from this statement alone , 'most' of john's friends don't have to be different from john to make him 'not unique'.

if only 1 friend is like him , than he is not unique .hence E

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 10

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 07:21
In the group there are some more people apart from John who also don't know such a person.
Thus E fits in perfectly.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2011, 16:50
That was a toughie. I will go with E though.
S1: ALL of John's friends know someone who smokes 40cigs a day and is fit.
S2: John does not anyone like that AND is CERTAIN that he is not alone among his friends in that aspect.

This implies that there are some friends who are lying. Otherwise John would not be CERTAIN that he is not alone.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:54
I chose E because at first All of John's friends know someone who smokes 40 cigs a day and so on. But John is NOT unique. Keyword is unique..meaning some of his friends are also in the same position as John. Since *some* of his friends are in the same position as John then that means *some of his friends are lying*

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 20:28
+ 1 E
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: LSAT test VI [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 07:55
Good One... Nice Explanation
SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: All of John s friends say they know someone who has smoked [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 12:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: All of John s friends say they know someone who has smoked   [#permalink] 22 Dec 2013, 12:25