Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 08:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Do and Die!!
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Posts: 333
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 193

All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 08:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (01:20) correct 40% (00:15) wrong based on 20 sessions
All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on installing deadbolts.

she intends on installing

her intends to install

her intends to install

her intend to install

she intend to install

i got confused with " pronoun ", please elaborate
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 185
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 7

Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 14:35
1
This post received
KUDOS
Great question here.

Subject pronouns (he, she, who...) are used to replace the subject in the sentence. You can identify the subject because it is the thing which is DOING the action:

He works at the store.
She loves to swim.
Who is going to the party?

The object form (her, his, whom...) replaces a noun when that noun is the object of the verb (i.e. it is having the action done TO it.

I am going to her party. (I am the one going; "her" does not have its own verb.)
I told him the secret. (I am the one doing the telling; I just told the secret to "him" but the "him" does not have its own verb.)
To whom should I send the letter? (I am sending the letter TO "whom" but "whom" doesn't have its own verb.)

Does this help?
_________________


Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1378 [1] , given: 245

Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 21:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In this given question she is as much a subject as Mr. Baumgardner, both of whom are again part of the main subject all of the tenants. The element of object can normally arrive only after the verb has been stated.Since the she has been placed ahead of the verb, it is correct to assume that she is a subject pronoun.

Now let us look at the following example

Everybody except him came
Every body came except him

Are both the same? Obviously they are not.

In the first case, we have to say - everybody except he came, because he is part of the subject and is placed before the verb.

In the second case except him comes after the verb and is the object of the verb and hence the object case him has to be used.

Well!, English is so diverse that still one may find an odd case going against the grain of custom., but I am talking about the general norm here.

Of course what the antecedent of she is in the given example, GOK, as per which all of the given choices are flawed IMO.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 248
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 23:24
All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on installing deadbolts.

her intend to install

she intend to install

Thanks for giving your opinion , i shall be thankful if you clarify the doubt against two answer choices given above.

My understanding is :

subject of above sentence is ( all except mr.xyz and she ) so why should we use her in place of she ? whom does her refer to ? , we don't have any antecedent

Pls clarify, thanks
_________________

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Posts: 2266
Location: India
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 251

Kudos [?]: 1378 [0], given: 245

Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2010, 01:08
Expert's post
We have to have she here because we need a subject pronoun and not an object pronoun such as her. Hence she intend is right while her intend is wrong. You are right in your observation that her has no antecedent. (For that matter even she has no antecedent)
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 34
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 19:31
daagh wrote:
We have to have she here because we need a subject pronoun and not an object pronoun such as her. Hence she intend is right while her intend is wrong. You are right in your observation that her has no antecedent. (For that matter even she has no antecedent)



IMO
Here - the sentence has a complex subject. Who is performing the action? - Who intend/intends on installing deadbolts ? - We can figure out the subject is All of the tenants and not including Mr. Baumgardner and she.

That is the reason to pull out Mr. Baumgardner and she - to Objective form and notating as Mr. Baumgardner and her intend to install deadbolts.

_________________


Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2010
Posts: 161
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2010, 01:49
daagh wrote:
In this given question she is as much a subject as Mr. Baumgardner, both of whom are again part of the main subject all of the tenants. The element of object can normally arrive only after the verb has been stated.Since the she has been placed ahead of the verb, it is correct to assume that she is a subject pronoun.

Now let us look at the following example

Everybody except him came
Every body came except him

Are both the same? Obviously they are not.

In the first case, we have to say - everybody except he came, because he is part of the subject and is placed before the verb.

In the second case except him comes after the verb and is the object of the verb and hence the object case him has to be used.

Well!, English is so diverse that still one may find an odd case going against the grain of custom., but I am talking about the general norm here.

Of course what the antecedent of she is in the given example, GOK, as per which all of the given choices are flawed IMO.


Very nicely explained but then why do you think E is wrong?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2010
Posts: 159
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subject / object pronoun [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2010, 11:25
BKimball wrote:
Great question here.

Subject pronouns (he, she, who...) are used to replace the subject in the sentence. You can identify the subject because it is the thing which is DOING the action:

He works at the store.
She loves to swim.
Who is going to the party?

The object form (her, his, whom...) replaces a noun when that noun is the object of the verb (i.e. it is having the action done TO it.

I am going to her party. (I am the one going; "her" does not have its own verb.)
I told him the secret. (I am the one doing the telling; I just told the secret to "him" but the "him" does not have its own verb.)
To whom should I send the letter? (I am sending the letter TO "whom" but "whom" doesn't have its own verb.)

Does this help?


But Whats the answer to this Q..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 370
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 31

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 20:16
Will go with D..................!!!!!!
_________________

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 174
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 03:37
Nice question. Thanks for the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2010
Posts: 268
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2012, 04:31
Here Subject All OF the tenants is in objective case so clause after and should also have subject in objective case for parallelism

D
_________________

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: I will be back!
Joined: 13 Feb 2012
Posts: 69
Location: India
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 38

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 01:03
still confused with the correct answer. OA looking awkward.
_________________

--shadab
Gmat FlashCard For Anki

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 174
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 24

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:16
Good question. You can't really make out the intention of the speaker from the original sentence. When we read the options we can make out that the intention is to suggest that everyone except Mrs X and her (mrs Y) intend to install deadbolts. the "and" makes it a plural subject necessitating a verb in plural form ie (intend instead of intends) and the correct idiom is "intend to" leading us to option D, which I believe to be correct.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 11:57
I would Also go with D,

Look at it this way....

All the people including HE/HIM are coming to the party.
All the people except He/Him are coming to the party.

In first one Him is correct , so is Him in second also. in both the sentence Him is the object and not the subject of the sentence.
_________________

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Re: All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2012, 11:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 EXCEPT elmagnifico 15 23 Sep 2008, 05:40
EXCEPT rao 24 07 Sep 2008, 19:44
She is not and does not intend to run for political office. Beyond700 6 19 Nov 2007, 04:25
Mrs. Su is an avid baker. She is especially proud of her rahulraao 7 12 Oct 2005, 04:54
Mr. Nance: Ms. Chan said that she retired from Quad Cities chunjuwu 7 29 Apr 2005, 05:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

All of the tenants except Mr. Baumgardner and she intends on

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.