All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The : GMAT Critical Reasoning (CR)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 20:16
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1493
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2005, 23:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The interest from some interest-bearing accounts is tax-free, so there must be some savings accounts that have tax-free interest.

Which one of the following arguments is flawed in a way most similar to the way in which the passage is flawed?

(A) All artists are intellectuals. Some great photographers are artists. Therefore, some great photographers must be intellectuals.
(B) All great photographers are artists. All artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers must be intellectuals.
(C) All great photographers are artists. Some artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers are intellectuals.
(D) All great photographers are artists. Some great photographers are intellectuals. Therefore, some artists must be intellectuals.
(E) All great photographers are artists. No artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers must not be intellectuals.
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 293
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 04:05
Yes it is C.
The logic used in both A & C is
All X -> Y
Some Y -> Z
=> Some X -> Z
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Posts: 905
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 04:42
Can someone explain the difference between B and C?
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1488
Location: Germany
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:18
Folaa3 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between B and C?
[/img]
Attachments

Unbenannt.GIF
Unbenannt.GIF [ 5.23 KiB | Viewed 1125 times ]


_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.


Last edited by christoph on 20 Apr 2005, 08:24, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 1218
Location: Taiwan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 592 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Savings Accounts [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:54
MA wrote:
All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The interest from some interest-bearing accounts is tax-free, so there must be some savings accounts that have tax-free interest.

Which one of the following arguments is flawed in a way most similar to the way in which the passage is flawed?

(A) All artists are intellectuals. Some great photographers are artists. Therefore, some great photographers must be intellectuals.
(B) All great photographers are artists. All artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers must be intellectuals.
(C) All great photographers are artists. Some artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers are intellectuals.
(D) All great photographers are artists. Some great photographers are intellectuals. Therefore, some artists must be intellectuals.
(E) All great photographers are artists. No artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers must not be intellectuals.


C it is.

All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The interest from some interest-bearing accounts is tax-free, so there must be some savings accounts that have tax-free interest.

The flaw is interest-bearing accounts are not necessarily savings accounts.
Therefore, although some interest-bearing accounts are tax-free, maybe all of the savings accounts are not tax-free interest.

(C) All great photographers are artists. Some artists are intellectuals. Therefore, some great photographers are intellectuals.

the same, artists are not necessarily photographers. Therefore, although some artists are intellectuals, maybe all of the photographers are not intellectuals.

Last edited by chunjuwu on 20 Apr 2005, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 1440
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 05:54
"C".....As nicely illustrated by Christoph, visualizing set diagrams helps with these questions.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1493
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 08:04
christoph wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between B and C?

OA is C.

But, christoph, i think your diagram has to be revised. because it says
"all great photographers are artists.
All (instead of some) artists are intellectuals.
Therefore, all (not some) great photographers are intellectuals".
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2004
Posts: 1488
Location: Germany
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 08:21
MA wrote:
christoph wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between B and C?

OA is C.

But, christoph, i think your diagram has to be revised. because it says
"all great photographers are artists.
All (instead of some) artists are intellectuals.
Therefore, all (not some) great photographers are intellectuals".


the left circle shows the reasoning in the argument/in C) and the right circle shows the reasoning in B)...
_________________

If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, have faith that you can achieve it.


Last edited by christoph on 20 Apr 2005, 08:33, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2004
Posts: 1493
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2005, 08:29
christoph wrote:
MA wrote:
christoph wrote:
Folaa3 wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between B and C?

OA is C.

But, christoph, i think your diagram has to be revised. because it says
"all great photographers are artists.
All (instead of some) artists are intellectuals.
Therefore, all (not some) great photographers are intellectuals".


the left circle shows the reasoning in the argument/in C) and the right circle shows the reasoning in B)...


oh thats ok. it would be even better if you had put photograhers/artists/intellectuals in your example.
anyway thanx for diagram and clearification.
  [#permalink] 20 Apr 2005, 08:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 No accountant at Merge Company is an executive, but all the goodyear2013 6 20 Jul 2014, 01:13
3 Insurance firms project that health savings accounts are an gmatcracker2010 10 04 Jun 2010, 02:09
Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an shaneforu 0 29 May 2010, 12:48
Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an gmatnub 0 27 Apr 2013, 13:16
26 Advocates insist that health savings accounts are an gmatnub 63 29 Jun 2008, 18:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

All savings accounts are interest-bearing accounts. The

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.