Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All school and no work...paying for life with no income.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 12:00
How do people pay for life while in B-school? Is it really that people just get loans or what? Searched for a post discussing this and didn't come up with anything (didn't look all that long either).

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
savings, loans, wealthy families, and wife/husbands.

So ideally you are married, come from money, and a very large savings account.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 14:55
riverripper wrote:

Love this quote! :-)
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
Can I claim to be "diverse" if none of these apply to me? :lol:

riverripper wrote:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 20:26
ryguy904 wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Love this quote! :-)

oh if only! :lol:
4 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 423 [4] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2008, 20:42
This post received
KUDOS
riverripper wrote:
So ideally you are married

There's very little "ideal" about it.
riverripper wrote:
come from money

Yeah, I come from money and was told I could never go back.
riverripper wrote:
and a very large savings account.

It is very large, but empty.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 05:26
ha good one jallen +1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 16:01
loans, equity from house/condo, supportive spouses. :)

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 16:37
I definitely know quite a few who are relying entirely on loans. It's a big chunk of money, but definitely a sound investment for most people at most of the top schools. Also, business school students average 4-5 years of experience and many come from high-paying industries so most have at least some savings they can tap into.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 19:21
kryzak wrote:
loans, equity from house/condo, supportive spouses. :)

I am betting the house/condo thing is a far bigger curse than blessing this year. Almost everyone I know who owns something either is negative on them or can't sell. I have talked to more than a few people who are either going to rent at a loss or will be floating a mortgage along with school expenses.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 19:30
yeah, unfortunately it is a bad time. I'm currently just holding it until August to see if it goes at all. But I bought mine early enough that I can drop it much more below market and still make a profit, enough to pay at least tuition and most of the living expenses. I'm just holding out to see if the current price can make it sell, since all the other units in my complex are selling around the same price.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Getting rejected from more expensive schools helped me quite a bit :o
Savings for the most part, plus income from renting out my property in the UK. Also will get a big chunk of cash from my Japanese pension money, and just received a nice little `retirement allowance` from my previous company after I left.

Fortunately, moving countries was covered by my wifes last employer.

Back on the internet after almost a month!!! Felt like a decade! :shock:
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 423 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 06:49
Living in Oklahoma, we've not really seen the poor economy that the rest of the country has. After all, we provide a lot of oil at $120+ a barrel, and we have 2 huge natural gas companies here Chesapeake (NYSE:CHK) and Devon (3rd largest privately owned in the US, and bigger than CHK even). We used some first time home buyer assistance from the state and have to pay it back if we sell the house within 5 years of purcahse (would be 2010) so I'd have to rent it out for a year before selling it, but if I can rent it out, why sell it at all unless we REALLY need the cash. I've thought about loans and that's probably the way to go. I've also had a discussion with my brother about the $$ (he's an ER doctor). He may be willing to help, plus he has some ideas for businesses in the medical field and would need someone with a top tier MBA to help raise the funds.

I have options, but in the end, it's still a ton of money. I figure $150k for 2 years + everything else. Maybe less with a part-time job 2nd year and a good internship between first and second years.

J Allen Morris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 08:16
For me it will be a blend of savings, debt and family-financing (I've agreed with them for some small loans at the risk-free rate, so we'll just fix it to whatever Bernanke says it should be).

I'll have enough cash to pay for the whole thing but I imagine that I'll end up tying it up into equities/funds, and if credit is available I should be able to secure some.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 08:51
for me it will be loans loans and more loans. i do have some decent change saved up, but that will barely put a dent in my loans.

unfortunately, my girlfriend was recently accepted to her #1 choice for dental school (which happens to be one of the most expensive ones in the country). somehow, my expected $150K in debt pales in comparison to her expected ~$350K in debt after 4 years. looks like we'll be Mr and Mrs Debt once we finally do tie the knot :cry:

GMAT Debrief

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 5

Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 21:49
This post received
KUDOS
i'm gonna be purely on loans. i can also tap into a line of credit if necessary, cuz i have a sizeable chunk of my condo paid down, so basically i'm using it as collateral. my goal is to live comfortably as an MBA and worry about paying it back later when i have a higher paying job...

worst comes worst i've got family that can pay for it but i've firmly told them so far that i'd like to pay for the whole thing on my own and that i'll only go to them as a final backup...which doesn't seem to be necessary at this point.

i expect to be a full 100k in debt after a 1 yr program or 150k after 2 yrs. :( gotta suck it up and do it though. you gotta spend money to make money.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 22:35
This post received
KUDOS
Probably 40 per cent self-financed and 60 per cent debt-financed for me. Of that 60, 40 will come from a bank, and 20 from family at the Fed's interest rates (as a matter of principle, I won't take gifts from them).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 22:37
Dr. Satisfaction, may I ask what your story is? I'm surprised that with a 760, you're not getting that many interviews...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth class of 2012
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Small business/Start up
WE 3: Strategy - Large Corporate
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 19

Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2010, 16:58
shadowsjc wrote:
for me it will be loans loans and more loans. i do have some decent change saved up, but that will barely put a dent in my loans.

unfortunately, my girlfriend was recently accepted to her #1 choice for dental school (which happens to be one of the most expensive ones in the country). somehow, my expected $150K in debt pales in comparison to her expected ~$350K in debt after 4 years. looks like we'll be Mr and Mrs Debt once we finally do tie the knot :cry:

Does fixing teeth really pay that well in the US?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income. [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 16:18
All private, so yes. Dental work can run into tens of thousands of dollars, is prime cosmetic work and means that people don't have teeth like English people.

Re: All school and no work...paying for life with no income.   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2010, 16:18