Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All social systems are based upon a division of economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:01
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

74% (02:43) correct 26% (02:02) wrong based on 106 sessions
21. All social systems are based upon a division of economic roles. The values of a social system are embodied in the prestige accorded persons who fill various economic roles. It is therefore unsurprising that, for any social system, the introduction of labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete will tend to undermine the values in that social system.
Which one of the following can most reasonably be concluded on the basis of the information above?
(A) Social systems will have unchanging values if they are shielded from technological advancement.
(B) No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system.
(C) A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles.
(D) A technologically advanced society will place little value on the prestige associated with an economic role.
(E) A technological innovation that is implemented in a social system foreign to the one in which it was developed will tend to undermine the foreign social system.

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 12:07
IMO C

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 17:57
Between A and C, I would go with C.

Choice A is more extreme. It assumes that technological advancement is the only factor, which can cause changes in value in a social system.
Some other factor may cause change in values.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 21:15
imo - c, a good one!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2009, 07:19
IMO C it is a clear cut case of conditional reasoning the use of contra positive statement
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 478 [1] , given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2009, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
C looks like the right one.

What is the OA?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
C appears to be better than A (a typical gmat trap)..
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2009, 23:30
This post received
KUDOS
c
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [2] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2009, 09:25
This post received
KUDOS
I hate joining bandwagons but my answer is C.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 55

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2012, 10:48
I think this is an LSAT question. My answer is also C since changing the economic roles would alter the social values.

Technology eliminate economic roles ->Social system has unchangin values
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 00:05
noboru wrote:
21. All social systems are based upon a division of economic roles. The values of a social system are embodied in the prestige accorded persons who fill various economic roles. It is therefore unsurprising that, for any social system, the introduction of labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete will tend to undermine the values in that social system.
Which one of the following can most [square_root]reasonably be concluded on the basis of the information above?
(A) Social systems will have unchanging values if they are shielded from technological advancement.
(C) A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles.
(D) A technologically advanced society will place little value on the prestige associated with an economic role.
(E) A technological innovation that is implemented in a social system foreign to the one in which it was developed will tend to undermine the foreign social system.

Can someone explain this question. How is answer C?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 282

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 22:00
piyushksharma wrote:
noboru wrote:
Which one of the following can most [square_root]reasonably be concluded on the basis of the information above?

Can someone explain this question. How is answer C?

Here look at ans choice E. It talks about foriegn social systems. So, we are not worried about foriegn systems here and hence eliminate.
Choice D- Look at the conclusion it says technology undermines the values in the social system. Here it says place little value on prestige which is wrong.
ChoiceA- is wrong because unchanging values cannot be inferred
Choice B- IS contradicting

Therefore left with ans choice C

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 03:55
well a majority went for C and it looks good too but i though E was more sensible(though one of the members made a comment on the foreign system )i tend to disagree as if the technological innovation for the system came from outside then it does have a capability of undermining the system as well......wasn't reallly happy with C

experts pls reply ......looking forward to OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 13

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 04:26
rahultgsp wrote:
well a majority went for C and it looks good too but i though E was more sensible(though one of the members made a comment on the foreign system )i tend to disagree as if the technological innovation for the system came from outside then it does have a capability of undermining the system as well......wasn't reallly happy with C

experts pls reply ......looking forward to OA

Well the answer is C. I think this solution might help you. all-social-systems-are-based-upon-a-division-of-economic-85008-20.html#p1110545

Whatever one does in life is a repetition of what one has done several times in one's life!
If my post was worth it, then i deserve kudos :)

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: economic roles [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 16:20
amithravindra wrote:
IMO C it is a clear cut case of conditional reasoning the use of contra positive statement

Say what? Could you elaborate on that please amithravindra?
Would be very happy to learn at least one word of what you wrote on that sentence

Thank you
Cheers
J :)

Bumping :evil:
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 28 May 2014, 13:01
OE and experts opinion on this one please!

Happy to throw out some nice Kudos

Cheers
J :)
Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic   [#permalink] 28 May 2014, 13:01