Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 16:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All social systems are based upon a division of economic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 10:02
Please post the OA. I'm confused! I chose A. But I see different opinions!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 2

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 12:57
I am for C.

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Analyst (Retail Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 14:26
It has to be C. C basically restated the last part of the Q stem: "for any social system, the introduction of labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete will tend to undermine the values in that social system."

Now look at choice C, pay attention to the buzz words: "A social system whose values are not susceptible(buzz, "undermined by") to change(buzz, "introduction of...") would not be one in which technology can eliminate(buzz, "obsolete") economic roles"

Those buzz words are the sticking points of this argument, and answer choice C is the only one that addresses both.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:31
Pls post the OA if anyone has it

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 11

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:33
I also got confused by the two negative connotations in C but its the right answer.
Lets take a look at C

it says
A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles

Now if you remove the negative ones it becomes
A social system whose values are susceptible to change would be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles

that's what the argument says: introduction of labor saving technology-->certain economic roles obsolete---> social system changed.

Hope this one explains the answer.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 02:03
C for me. This one is tough...

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 41

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 02:13
C for me too... OA.. ?

http://www.gmatpill.com/gmat-practice-test/

Amazing Platform

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 5

Re: Social system:please provide explanation to your answers [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:04
I narrowed this down to C and D before going with C. I think the key thing to remember is that the passage states that "labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete" will tend to undermine values - not ALL technology, just that particular subset of technology.

skg wrote:
All social systems are based upon a division of economic roles. The values of a social system are embodied in the prestige accorded persons who fill various economic roles. It is therefore unsurprising that, for any social system, the introduction of labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete will tend to undermine the values in that social system.
Which one of the following can most reasonably be concluded on the basis of the information above?

(A) Social systems will have unchanging values if they are shielded from technological advancement. Not necessarily true - the passage doesn't state that ONLY technology will change values.

(B) No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system. False - the passage states that labor-saving technology will change values, not ALL technology. So there certainly can be types of technology that don't make economic roles obsolete, thereby undermining the values.

(C) A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles. Let's reword this to make it a bit more clear: "A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would be one in which technology cannot eliminate economic roles." So, in other words, if a social system's values cannot be changed, then it can't possibly be subject to those kinds of technology that would undermine it's values and thus cause change. This logically follows from the passage.

To put it into logic form, the article states A -> B, where A is "If labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete is introduced", and B is "then it will undermine the values of the social system." C then states ~B -> ~A: "If the values of a social system cannot be undermined, then technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete cannot be introduced." This is the logical contrapositive, which is equivalent to the original statement.

(D) A technologically advanced society will place little value on the prestige associated with an economic role. Thought about this one for a while, but once again we're only given the fact that labor-saving technology will undermine the values of economic roles - not ALL technology. A society which has a lot of technology doesn't NECESSARILY have labor-saving technology, so this can't definitively be concluded.

(E) A technological innovation that is implemented in a social system foreign to the one in which it was developed will tend to undermine the foreign social system. Definitely doesn't follow.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 05:30
PTK you make that too easy :D thanks!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5379 [1] , given: 165

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 21:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
skg wrote:
All social systems are based upon a division of economic roles. The values of a social system are embodied in the prestige accorded persons who fill various economic roles. It is therefore unsurprising that, for any social system, the introduction of labor-saving technology that makes certain economic roles obsolete will tend to undermine the values in that social system.
Which one of the following can most reasonably be concluded on the basis of the information above?

(A) Social systems will have unchanging values if they are shielded from technological advancement.

(B) No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system.

(C) A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles.

(D) A technologically advanced society will place little value on the prestige associated with an economic role.

(E) A technological innovation that is implemented in a social system foreign to the one in which it was developed will tend to undermine the foreign social system.

The key to this question lies in realizing that all technology/technological innovations are not labor-saving and hence do not lead to disappearance of economic roles.
Options A, B, D and E talk about technology, not about labor-saving technology. Hence, none of them can be inferred.

(A) Social systems will have unchanging values if they are shielded from technological advancement.
Social systems' values could change due to other reasons so don't even think about this.

(B) No type of technology will fail to undermine the values in a social system.
All technology is not labor saving technology. So ignore it.

(C) A social system whose values are not susceptible to change would not be one in which technology can eliminate economic roles.
When economic roles are eliminated, values change. If values do not change, it means technology is not eliminating economic roles i.e. the society does not develop labor-saving economic-role-eliminating technology. This is correct.

(D) A technologically advanced society will place little value on the prestige associated with an economic role.
Again, a technologically advanced society doesn't mean there are no economic roles. The roles could be different from the roles in a labor intensive society.

(E) A technological innovation that is implemented in a social system foreign to the one in which it was developed will tend to undermine the foreign social system.
Technological innovation doesn't necessarily mean labor saving technological innovation so ignore it right away.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 22

Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 03:01
Great question

Chose C

Thank you Karishma and everyone who explained the reason why C is the correct answer.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 11:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: All social systems are based upon a division of economic   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2014, 11:01