Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 04:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 621 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 19:47
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

93% (02:16) correct 7% (01:03) wrong based on 84 sessions
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label themselves conservative, liberal, or middle-of-the-road politically. Of the students, 25 percent labelled themselves conservative, 24 percent labelled themselves liberal, and 51 percent labelled themselves middle-of-the-road. When asked about a particular set of issues, however, 77 percent of the students endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position.

If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?
(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(D) Some students who labelled themselves conservative endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(E) Some students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a conservative position on that set of issues.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon

How can I efficiently solve such questions under 1.5 minutes.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 93 [1] , given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pitcombe College [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 20:57
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label themselves conservative, liberal, or middle-of-the-road politically. Of the students, 25 percent labelled themselves conservative, 24 percent labelled themselves liberal, and 51 percent labelled themselves middle-of-the-road. When asked about a particular set of issues, however, 77 percent of the students endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position.

If all of the statements above are true, which one of the following must also be true?
(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(D) Some students who labelled themselves conservative endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.
(E) Some students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a conservative position on that set of issues.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
soon

How can I efficiently solve such questions under 1.5 minutes.

Hi Marcab ->

On the 1st read, given the stats ( 25% conservative , 24% liberal and 55% middle but 77% endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position) I came up with the following re-phrase - Some of the conservatives and some of the middle-of-the-road MUST have supported liberal position, otherwise 77% would not be possible). In these kind of Qs I try to find counter situations to kill the answer choices.

This need not be true : if all 25% conservatives + 55% middle of the road = 70% so 7% of liberal students could have endorsed liberal position on that set of issues. As we have found a counter situation, this answer choice is NOT correct (we are looking for MUST BE TRUE under all circumstances)

The red part is wrong. They supported the liberal position. The part before red is correct and must be true as we have only 49% (24+25) so more students must have come from middle-of-the road

(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues
The red part is wrong. They supported the liberal position. The part before red is correct and must be true as we have only 49% (24+25) so majority (more than half) i.e 28% of 55% must have supported the liberal position.

CORRECT. Matches re-phrase.

This need be true as all the liberal students could have endorsed liberal position.

Pls do let me if find any reasoning / technique errors.

Cheers
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 67

Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 11:32
Conser------25%
Liberal------24%
Mid----------51%

On an issue 77% leaning towards liberal views

Lib + Mid 75% so a fraction of conservative endorsed liberal views than only 77% can be achieved.

Option D explains that

--------------------------------------------
Consider Kudos, If my post helped!!!!!!!
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 00:22
77% requires that all parties vote; however, none of the options is saying that.
Any choice that says a particular party (Lib, Cons, or Middle) votes would be correct-
D does that.

In the event Lib=26, the same logic will not apply since 26+51 = 77.

KUDOS me if you feel my contribution has helped you.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 373 [1] , given: 241

Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 01:33
This post received
KUDOS

No of Student who labelled themselves Conservative (C) = 25
No of Student who labelled themselves Middle (M) = 51
No of Student who labelled themselves Liberal (L) = 24

(A) All students who labelled themselves liberal endorsed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues.- Not always true as 25(C) + 51(M) + 1(L) can favor.Thus Incorrect.

(B) More students who labelled themselves middle-of-the road than students who labelled themselves liberal opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues. Not always true as 25(C) + 51(M) + 1(L) can favor. Incorrect because more liberal students oppose.

(C) The majority of students who labelled themselves middle-of-the-road opposed what is generally regarded as a liberal position on that set of issues. Not always true as 25(C) + 51(M) + 1(L) can favor. Incorrect because more none of the middle-of-the-road opposed .

Always True. Worst case scenario when 25(C) + 51(M) favor = 76 favor. The total favor count is 77, thus at least 1 from (L) must favor.

A very nice Shell game option. Thus Incorrect

Hope this detailed explanation will be helpful for many.

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Re: All students at Pitcombe College were asked to label   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2013, 01:33