Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Nov 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

all the 700 club members please read and advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

all the 700 club members please read and advice [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2005, 14:08
Hi all,

I just took the GMAT today, and yet another disappointment....
580 Q47 V23
I was really low after the test, and don't know what to do next... I want to retake the test, Am I THAT bad in verbal?! :(

This is my second attempt. My first attempt was in 2002 and I scored
610 Q47 V27. My studying was not very consistent during the first try, and I barely finished all the OG verbal questions.

Alittle background info, I'm 25 currently work in Toronto, Canada for a private financial software firm. I graduated in 2003 from U of Toronto with a bachelor degree in computer engineering.

After my first attempt I swore to get a higher score into the 700s, and I also realized that my weakness is in Verbal. So for this second attempt, first I joined GMAT club, the awesome GMAT community and I am inspired by many members and by many successful stories. Then I went ahead purchased all the prep material I can think of:

OG10 + OG11 (I didn't get the OG11 Verbal book since I heard that all the questions can be found in the OG 10), PR2005, KP2005, KP800, KP verbal + math, PR verbal +math, Manhattan SC book. I even signed up for the GMAX online course, and finished the course with some great improvements. I also found the 1000SC/RC/CR documents.

For the last 2 month, I went hardcore on verbal. On average I worked on GMAT 3 hours a day, and went through ALL the verbal questions in OG 10 + OG 11, took a note of the question I got wrong, then studied the explanations and redo the wrong questions again. After that, I started to work on the 1000 SC/CR/RC documents, and did about 300 questions in each DOCs. During the day I studied GMAT forum for the explanation of the verbal questions.

About 2 weeks before the test, my accuracy in verbal was consistent at about 70%. In order to get my hands on more real GMAT questions, I downloaded all 3 sets of GMAT paper tests. These were great, and ALOT of questions weren't found any where in any OGs. I finished the verbal sections of these test with careful timing.

I've taken the following as practice tests:

Oct 19 PP1: 570 Q47 V22
Nov 26 PP2: 740 Q47 V44
Dec 4 GMAT prep1: 570,
Dec 19 GMAT prep2: 770! Q51 V44

I didn't do the PR and KP review tests, as I was trying to make the mod tests as close to the real GMAT as possible; however, I did work through KP800 and KP review for math questions, they were good!

On G-day, AWA went through real smooth, given that I didn't even practice, and just memorized templates, I was able to get 3 good points with example for each essay.

Math:
I got stumped on the 2nd question. It was a tough counting method question. I must have spent over 3 minutes just to make sure I got it right. I've also got 2 or 3 complicated word problems regards to numbers of 25c, 10c, 5c coins and the total amount ratios... Overall I finished math on time and since I solved some pretty hard questions, I felt pretty confident about the whole sections.

Verbal:
I tried to spend enough time in the first 10 questions to make sure they were correct. I got a RC science passage about the body characters of alpine deers on question 4. It wasn't that bad; however, later I found the CR questions were alot harder than OG and there were only few SC questions with obvious errors. I thought I must have done well, since the questions were tough, but I guess that wasn't the case. I ended up spending too much time doing POE to narrow it down, and had to guess the last 7 questions. :( :( :(

After I finished the test, I was pretty sure I screwed this one up, and then 580 appeared on the screen...

What did I do wrong? How I can improve my verbal score? was it not enough practice? Not enough time or I'm just not good at taking GMAT? I'm really puzzled, after spending that much effort preparing...

Any 700 club members out there, please give me some advice. Also Paul, ywilfred, Hjort, banerjeea_98, nocilis, HongHu, sparky, AJB77... If you guys are reading this please give me some advice. I'll be kicking myself in the mean time.

Many thanks!

Just Do it

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

OK [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 05:22
STOP KICKING YOURSELF! :) It is perfectly understandable to feel the way you do. You are in a good position to do better. Obviously you verbal is what's bringing you down, but what part? SC, RC, or CR? You must track your errors in an error log to see if you have any trends. Maybe you get SC questions wrong more oftern than the others. If so, then you need to concentrate on that particular weak point. Of course, stay polished in your other verbal areas (and quant too).

Also, when you take practice tests, do you do the AWA? It is essential to take the AWA as part of your practice test because it helps to build mental stamina. If not, you may getting tired by the end of the verbal which could hurt your perfromance.

Don't worry buddy. You can do this. I took the test 4 times and got into the 700 club. If I can do it, so can you. I suggest that you figure out what particular type of question you have issues with and find fresh material to practice fixing it (this site is the best for that). Take more practice tests and do the AWA. Most importantly, when you do retake it, have a positive mindset and be determined that this test will not defeat you.

I hope this helps

Christopher Wilson

Intern
Intern

Re: OK [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 08:33
Hi, Thanks for the hint. Quite honest, I think I'm weak in all verbal areas, and they are pretty even. On a good day, I'll get about 6/10 verbal questions right in each sections. How do you track your errors?

I made a post earlier
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24787

Basically I tried to fit each wrong question into a type, and do them again.
It didn't work for me that well.

What's best way to learn from your errors? I've done hundreds of Verbal questions and always felt something is missing.

Just Do it

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2005, 10:06
You have the right idea about your tracking methods. If I still had my error log, I would send it to you, but it basically was an excel spreadsheet with 2 tabs (verb and quant). In each tap I would make an entry each day I did something, whether it was a practice test or workbook material. I would type in the questions I got wrong and from what source (i.e. OG, PP test1, Kaplan test 3) then I would categorize it. If you are taking a practice test, then you are correct that it would be difficult to determine which category it goes, but I gave it try anyway. I used excel to count the errors in each category and tyr to see trends in my development. From my log, I found RC, data sufficiency, and perm/comb questions were my bugaboo.

The key ot getting better at each type of question is not how many questions you do. You have to be absolutely sure that you know exactly why you got a question wrong before you move onto the next wrong question. This was my method and it worked for me. I would spend an entire day on one question because I would not move on unless I understood the question completely. Sometimes thats what it takes.

I hope this helps

Christopher Wilson

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 14:00
Wow, you have a wide range of practice scores! Perhaps it would be worth analyzing this. Was it something about the questions that caused the difference? Do you recall doing anything differently (e.g., different time of day), when you scored well and when you didn't? :twisted:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2005, 14:48
ya, I know. The wide swing of practice scores didn't make sense, and I know why now. It was because after doing all the OG questions, most questions in the PP1 and PP2 are repeats, so they were not representative for a true performance. After all you can find almost all questions in the OG.

I felt my true performance is at 590 to 620, and I felt this when I was doing the real GMAT. It was by then, I realized I wasn't improving all that much.

I'm going a little mad right now trying to figure out how to improve Verbal. Any advices are greatly appreciated :)

In the mean time I'll try error logging in detail.

fustrated + confused is where I am right now. I'm just so pissed that solving thousands of questions still didn't pay off. I guess I don't know where my weak areas are in Verbal.... :(

Just Do it

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2005, 09:01
chriswil2005 wrote:
You have the right idea about your tracking methods. If I still had my error log, I would send it to you, but it basically was an excel spreadsheet with 2 tabs (verb and quant). In each tap I would make an entry each day I did something, whether it was a practice test or workbook material. I would type in the questions I got wrong and from what source (i.e. OG, PP test1, Kaplan test 3) then I would categorize it. If you are taking a practice test, then you are correct that it would be difficult to determine which category it goes, but I gave it try anyway. I used excel to count the errors in each category and tyr to see trends in my development. From my log, I found RC, data sufficiency, and perm/comb questions were my bugaboo.

The key ot getting better at each type of question is not how many questions you do. You have to be absolutely sure that you know exactly why you got a question wrong before you move onto the next wrong question. This was my method and it worked for me. I would spend an entire day on one question because I would not move on unless I understood the question completely. Sometimes thats what it takes.

I hope this helps

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the encouragement about my recent GMAT 580 from a 610. I am now getting my head cleared and ready to retake the test again early 2006. I have read your post about your 4 time GMAT journey, and I really admire what you have accomplished.

Would you mind sharing your verbal preparation stradegy? I got myself a error log ready, and would like to know some of the practical steps to take.

How did you practice SC/RC/CR specifically? I'll imagine you have some real good advice to share in terms of spotting personal weak areas and work on those to improve. That's what I am missing the most.

Thanks and merry xmas

You can also email me at weiyuegao@yahoo.com

Just Do it

[#permalink] 23 Dec 2005, 09:01