Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: AGSM '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 00:32
D for me

Last edited by RuslanMRF on 27 Oct 2011, 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2050 [1] , given: 677

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 03:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gurpreet07 wrote:
All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.

C is the answer and wins over D

For two reasons: in D some means almost all but we know that ALL those who keep journals and bla bla bla.....yet we have in D are not true that is the contrary of our situation. we care about who write journals NOT the otherr flip of the coin.

C till the end.

Kudo if you want :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 06:45
All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation.

"C" makes sense here, because it can be naturally derived based on the premise and the conclusion.

For "D", the assumption will have to be made to include other groups.

For "Must Be True" questions, the stimulus cannot be considered as having a faulty argument, and hence no assumptions can be made while arriving at the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 56

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 14:19
I picked C...it took me 1:30min
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 18:12
Correct answer is C. Key words to look out for is 'SOME' in the conclusion and 'WILL' in answer C.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 46

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 19:36
D from my side. not convinced about answer C.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2011, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
The OA is C.

It is not necessary the next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. It could be the next generation will hear only insufferable egotists and others humorous observers of common place.

D is not an option because it is out of scope - we don't know anything about the other categories.

I hope that makes more sense.

Aim for the sky! (800 in this case)
If you like my post, please give me Kudos :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 02:14
IMO D

Some of the journal writers NEED NOT belong to any of the categories mentioned in the argument

In choice C, it generally says egotists and artists will be heard by the next generation. We don't know whether
these egotists and artists are also journal writers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 18:50
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2011, 19:16
C here
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 03:49
CC
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 15:11
I am not convinced why c is correct. I will go with D. what's the OA, please?

Sky is the limit

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 15:52
who comes up with these questions.... after reading the question and the answer choices, i had no interest left in analyzing anything in it.. :twisted: :twisted:
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 09:52
+1 C
only this infers out...

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-15-2011

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2011, 18:05
I'll go with C
Clearly if you choose D, you must assume that there are other people who keep journey but are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. While infact, maybe all of people who keep journey belong to one of three kind above.
Help this help
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2012, 09:42
Dear Moderator PTK,

I think you should give back the two kudos you received for your response, as your answer was wrong :-)
Anyway, all in jest, but the answer is C, not D.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 05:11
DexDee wrote:
PTK wrote:
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.

The option does not say that next generation will hear from ALL insufferable egotists and true artists. You seem to have assumed that to be the case. If you think without that assumption, then C shines!

PTK wrote:
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.

Here, you've assumed that the there are others besides the artists, observers and egotists. Again, there is no implication or inference from the premise to support this. So, this is a trap!

.. Just my 2 cents!

The premise mentions that some of the journal writers are X, others are Y, and still others are Z. It doesn't say some are X, others are Y, and the REST are Z. Since it is not stated that X + Y + Z = 100%, it is not an assumption that there is a variable W which is distinct from X, Y & Z; it is a fact. So option D seems to be correct.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tough CR [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 06:45
registrar wrote:
DexDee wrote:
PTK wrote:
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. - wou really ?! what if they don't have any journal? Observe that official answer choice is wrong here.

The option does not say that next generation will hear from ALL insufferable egotists and true artists. You seem to have assumed that to be the case. If you think without that assumption, then C shines!

PTK wrote:
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. yes! bingo. Remember the statement "Among those who keep journals are: true artists, humorous observers and nsufferable egotists." of course there are other people who keep journals.

Here, you've assumed that the there are others besides the artists, observers and egotists. Again, there is no implication or inference from the premise to support this. So, this is a trap!

.. Just my 2 cents!

The premise mentions that some of the journal writers are X, others are Y, and still others are Z. It doesn't say some are X, others are Y, and the REST are Z. Since it is not stated that X + Y + Z = 100%, it is not an assumption that there is a variable W which is distinct from X, Y & Z; it is a fact. So option D seems to be correct.

Hmm, but of the given options which is the one in which you do not have to assume anything.

C it is, as it is clearly stated.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 291

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 21:00
I disagree with C. Why 'will' the new generation learn abt egotists 'and' artists...what if they will earn either or neither. IMO A fits the bill
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
mohnish104 wrote:
I disagree with C. Why 'will' the new generation learn abt egotists 'and' artists...what if they will earn either or neither. IMO A fits the bill

Hi,

The first thing to note is it is a must be true question. So you can't bring what ifs into the picture, it has to be true. Now as per the argument see the bold portion below. It clearly states that all of them "will" be heard. It is something the argument states and we are not assuming anything. So c has to be true. Hope it is clear.

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next   [#permalink] 14 Oct 2013, 21:59