Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 12:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 20:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

57% (02:18) correct 42% (01:23) wrong based on 40 sessions
All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.
If the statements above are true, which one of the following must be true?
(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.

Please give detailed explanations for all options- whether reverse, opposite, out of scope, extreme.......I want to get into a habit of eliminating wrong choices due to these reasons.
Thanks in advance.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: McGill, HEC, Concordia
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
My take:

All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation. Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.

(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation.
Nowhere does it say that not all humorous observers keep a journal. So it's possible that all humorous observers keep a journal, meaning that it's possible that all humorous observers will be heard by the next generation. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Nowhere does it say that the next generation will ONLY hear those who keep a journal. It's possible that they also hear people who do not keep journals. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Since some insufferable egotists and some true artists keep journals, and everyone who keeps a journal will be heard by the next generation, then it goes to say that the next generation will at least hear some insufferable egotists and some true artists (at least those who keep journals, since we know that at least some do). Has to be true.

(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.
Nowhere does it say that the list given is exhaustive, and nowhere does it say that it isn't. It is conceivable that other types of people may keep journals as well, however it is also possible that these are the ONLY people that keep journals, and so that there are no other types of people who do. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them.
Nowhere does it say that not all true artists keep journals. It's possible that they all do, so it's possible that the next generation will hear them all. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 00:56
IMO: C

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 29 May 2010, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
I guess there is no point in posting the question and not the OA later. I am still guessing the answer. Sorry for being rude.
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 48

Kudos [?]: 625 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 30 May 2010, 23:21
I dont think C will be the OA. C says:

Where is mentioned in the passage that all egotists and true artists (Parent part) kept journals. We have the fact: Some of these journal writers are true artists, egoists...(Child part) This choice is nailing down on the parent-child relationship.

IMO A and E are the closest contenders.

he4dhuntr wrote:
My take:

Nowhere does it say that not all humorous observers keep a journal. So it's possible that all humorous observers keep a journal, meaning that it's possible that all humorous observers will be heard by the next generation. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Nowhere does it say that the next generation will ONLY hear those who keep a journal. It's possible that they also hear people who do not keep journals. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Since some insufferable egotists and some true artists keep journals, and everyone who keeps a journal will be heard by the next generation, then it goes to say that the next generation will at least hear some insufferable egotists and some true artists (at least those who keep journals, since we know that at least some do). Has to be true.

Nowhere does it say that the list given is exhaustive, and nowhere does it say that it isn't. It is conceivable that other types of people may keep journals as well, however it is also possible that these are the ONLY people that keep journals, and so that there are no other types of people who do. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Nowhere does it say that not all true artists keep journals. It's possible that they all do, so it's possible that the next generation will hear them all. Could be true, but doesn't have to be.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Cheers,

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2010, 12:47
Before moving to answer choices. Stimulus classifies the journal keepers into -

1. True artists
2. Humorous
3. Egotists

A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation. --- Opposite idea. In stimulus it says all the humorous observers will be heard by the next generation. Answer choice says - not all will be heard. Hence a potential loser.

(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal. --- Reverse idea is presented. Stimulus says all the people who keep the journals will be heard and not the other way around mentioned in the answer choice. Hence a potential loser.

(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists. --- Stimulus mentions all the true artist, egotists and the humorous will be heard. Hence it has to be true. Hence a potential contender.

(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists. --- Journal keepers are classified only into these 3 categories. Hence it cannot be true. Hence a potential loser.

--- Opposite idea. All the true artist will be heard by next generation.

Please post the OA. Thank You.

Thanks,
Akhil M.Parekh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 6

Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2010, 18:50
C for me. all other options are info not provided in the argument.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 466 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 09:23
seekmba wrote:
C for me. all other options are info not provided in the argument.

С?

The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists - sure? it is not stated that ALL insufferable egotists and true artists keep journal. what if part of them do not keep? - thus C can be tru can be false. but it is not - must be true.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 10:21
C for me!
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: 1000 CR- 600 level [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2010, 21:11
one more vote for C . What is the OA?

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 241

Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 20:53
OA is C & the source is 1000 CR.

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton '17
GPA: 3.5
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 177

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 09:03
gmatprep09 wrote:

Please give detailed explanations for all options- whether reverse, opposite, out of scope, extreme.......I want to get into a habit of eliminating wrong choices due to these reasons.
Thanks in advance.

I,m going with C on this one.

Actually, I was between A,C,E

A was out because we could have the case in which all HO will be heard.
E out as well because we could also have the case in which all TA will be heard
C is the correct choice because it is the less extreme. The NG wil hear both groups, that's for sure!

Just my 2c, if you like it press Kudos to your left
Cheers!
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 35

CAT Tests
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2014, 09:52
All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next generation.
Some of these journal writers are true artists, others humorous observers of the commonplace, and still others insufferable egotists who feel compelled to record their every thought.

(A) Not all of those who are humorous observers of the commonplace will be heard by the next generation...may not be true..may be all humorous observers keep journal..
(B) Everyone who will be heard by the next generation keeps a journal.reverse relation... may not be true... there could be other reasons for being heard also...
(C) The next generation will hear both insufferable egotists and true artists....looks ok... keep it.
(D) Some of those who keep journals are not true artists, humorous observers of the commonplace, or insufferable egotists.may or may not be true...may be these are the only three categories...
(E) The next generation will bear some of those who are true artists but not all of them......"bear" doesnt matter hear..." heard" does....

IMO- " C"
Re: All those who keep a journal will be heard by the next   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2014, 09:52