Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [45]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:SSE
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [0]
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink]
Hey sabilonline

You can count with it. Actually, you should come and do it, so in the future you can tell your grandsons you watched the best player in the history of football in action :)

Regarding the master, my apologies! For some reason I see the website in English so I gave it for granted that the master was taught in English. I talked with my teacher of management, who works in the same department, and told me the admission to this master is very competitive, it seems there's a lot of demand. I was called to the interview, I'll let you know about it.

I forgot to tell you about this one: MSc Computing and Information Systems of Queen Mary, in London. I know from a doctor in telecommunications that Queen Mary is a good university. Not a business school though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Amigo, :wink:

Ive reseached on the last link u provided-Queen Mary London-and I must say its a good one. However, like u noted, it isnt a business school. In as much as I like the programme, Im looking for a multi-disciplinary course with some elements of management and entreprenuership.

I have a feeling that this programme at Barca Uni is what i need. How long is it and can u pls fill me in on whether it would be feasible to learn Spanish in a year in order to gain admission? Besides I still dream of watching El-Classico @ Nou camp :-D !

Ciao. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Kudos
When I was visiting Duke, I met a student who was interviewing for their MMS program.

It is aimed for UG major in liberal art, engineering or science without any work experience.

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/programs/othe ... _business/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
one of my cousin is planning to do MSc ...great info...will let him know
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Thanks for the info! Definitely a great resource here.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
 Q49  V42
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Send PM
Kudos
saruba wrote:
Hello sabilonline,

first of all, I have to state that I am not an expert in this field (nor in any other field actually).

As far as I am concerned, you have two options:

1) if you have an IT background (undergraduate studies in this field), IMO you should take a standard MSc in Management degree and the specialization will happen naturally. In fact, the masters in management that are open to graduates from any discipline have been specifically created to serve that purpose. Another story is that people is going crazy with consulting and then forget about previous studies (hello!). Anyway, If that's the case (that you have an IT bg and want a MSc in Management) I think you will find enough information in the first post.

2) if you don't have an IT background and want to start a career in IT/Management then you have some interesting choices out there that can be helpful - I have considered this option in case I couldn't make it into one of the schools that I chose for the MiM.
As you say, the university of Strathclyde has a course named MSc in Business Information Technology. Unfortunately, I can't provide feedback about reputation of the school. All I know is that it is way to the bottom in the FT rankings.

Another similar courses that you could be interested in are:

Manchester Business School - MSc in Business IT

Lancaster University - MSc Information Technology, Management and Organisational change
Lancaster University - MSc in E-Business and Innovation
--I was very interested in this one prior to know about Lancaster. Not the kind of 'experience' I am looking for--

City University - MSc Information Management
Other related courses in City

Outside UK:

Grenoble EM - MSc in Innovation, Strategy and Entrepreneurship
--I was very interested in this one, but I sent 2 mails with some questions and never got answer, so obviously had to forget about it--

University of Barcelona (home : ) - Creation and Management of Innovative Technology Based Companies
--I have already applied to this one, love it :)--

Well, I have provided you with a few ideas. I hope you are closer to your decision after this post.

Good luck!

Hi saruba,Thanks for the info.I contacted Aarhus school of business in denmark and they said since i studied engineering for my grad,i am not eligible for their masters programmes because the programmes have been designed for people who would have completed their Bsc in Management.Your post suggests that there are other b-schools who would invite applications from students with an engineering background and Information Technology experience.Do those schools take the GMAT score into consideration.In the beginning of this thread,you have mentioned a few schools and all of them are in europe.could you suggest any in denmark,singapore,Hong Kong.I am based in India.
Would be grateful to info from other studs as well.
Thanks a lot
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me approximately which are the minimum required GMAT scores in reference to the Business Schools for a Msc Management application ?

Predominantly LBS, Cass, LSE and Imperial ... Am guessing a 700 in order to stay competitive ?

Best,

E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 483 [1]
 Q47  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Although is hard to assume the GMAT is only a part of the application, many students in the best schools don't have a 700+.

Regarding your question I'd say 600 is the minimum you must have to be considered in top schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: general management
Schools:fuqua business school, LMU, Georgetown University
 Q24  V12 GMAT 2: 600  Q44  V29
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
Thanks for the info it is really helpful.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hei!
Thanks a lot for a great post. I am currently preparing documents for Mib at NHH and i've got a terrible mess in my head about CV in particular. Are there any CV/resume books for MSc so that I can see who they want me to be? And I can evaluate my chances too.
MBA candidates' resumes really make me feel miserable due to lack of working and any other experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, I am an italian maths student at imperial college london.. i will probably graduate with first class, i have already a 760 GMAT and in two years time (after 1 year of work experience in my family's business) I would like to find a management/business administration program.

With my profile I hope I can compete at any level of admission to b schools so I was wondering which I should give my preference and I would like to hear your opinion on this.

I considered american MBAs but (a part from the fact that they are really expensive) I don't want to wait some years before applying. So I focused on masters in management. Please consider that i am looking for:
.a course to learn major management, economic, financial skills that I need
.a course to claim a good starting salary
here are some questions:

-As we know in the FT rankings IE, LBS, Duke are missing for some time.. how do you think those would rank?
-ESCP seems an option but I know people getting in that had not really a great academic career... I don't like the idea of going somewhere not really selective.. please take this into account
-To me hec paris and ie madrid seem the best, as I don't want to come back to london for lbs, nor going to america for duke (which is not harvard) attracts me. But hec's program is 2 years long so that at a first glance makes me prefer IE. Also hec has a 1 year masters managerial financial econ but i am not eligible. What can you say between the two? I have noticed that HEC's 1 year program has 45000 euros starting salary (and the 2 year program higher) whereas IE only 37000. This is quite a difference, how do you account for this?

I would like to hear your suggestions/opinions on my prfile/requests
thanks
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: LBS, HEC, ESCP< Harvard, Yale, IESE
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Prospective applicants can avail authentic first hand info on various Top MiM Programs on:

mymimapp [dot] com

You can also recieve help on Essays and Resume.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
hey guys,

im a last yr admit to LSE's MSc Management program which I have deferred this year. i have been over and under to search for any related program in the world, mainly looking at 1 year pre-experience masters degrees in business, and trying to grab a hold of one in the US, where its just beginning to catch up (Yale silver scholar, Harvard 2+2, Duke MMS)

here's my take on some schools>

most 1 year degrees are basically a quick career boost. like LBS, Duke MMS they are mostly a quick overview of business topics, no thesis and many career fairs. you get the brand, the connections -> now you start higher, but you need to get the job

LSE - which offers many masters, has 1 yr IMEX and MSc Management and Strategy which are prolly the strongest. However, according to students and the department, the 2 yr program is the focus, to which the most resources are allocated to. In addition, you have CEMS, research options and specialization during the 2 yrs or later PhD.
In the US (dominant in terms of business schools, LSE and LBS - in certain circles - make the cut from Europe, others not so known)

600+ GMAT
good SOPs and LORs are certainly key.

any takes on 1 yr Duke, LBS vs 2yr LSE MiM? pro/cons
would an MBA be stupid after a 2 yr MSc Management degree down the line?

also
mymimapp dot com is a good resource to check out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
thanks for the useful post Saruba
from what i read i gather that the course is designed for people with no work ex
however i would like to know how good the course would be for some1 with say 2-3 years of work ex
or would it be wiser to opt for MBA
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
How does Stanford Sloan program fit in to this? They are after more work experience then an MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Why don't you have a look at the platform Master in Management Compass (MIM-Compass)? They provide a full website focussed on Masters in Management, includign more than 400 general management programs (NOT MBA), rankings, background articles etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Strategic Management,
Send PM
Thank you saruba, this post was of a great help..
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Hi all,
May you confirm me that a Msc in Management is useful to work in an IB? I am a bachelor student who is graduating in Management and I've applied for a Msc in Management because I don't want to study for 2 years only Finance (I am really interested in corporate finance, but less in quantitative finance), but I prefer to do management exams during the first year and choosing the electives from the Finance department offer... According to these stats 22% of Management graduates find jobs in an IB, is this reliable? Thank you so much in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts