Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

All you need to know about the MSc in Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
26 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: SSE
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 297 [26] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 01:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The objective of this post is to gather all the relevant information regarding the program. Collaboration from the community is encouraged and welcome. In construction

Contents
  • What is the MSc in Management?
  • MSc in Management versus MBA
  • Top Schools by Location
  • What is the CEMS program?
  • What can I expect after the Msc in Management?

What is the MSc in Management?
The MSc in Management is a Master in Science academic degree primarily taught in European countries, but increasingly being taught in other countries as well. The program is similar to an MBA, but requires no work experience. This means the MSc in Management is more focused in theory, while the MBA is more focused on practice. The popularity of this program is growing fast, because it is suited for any background and normally has a deep impact in the participant's career.
Not all MSc in Management are the same, there are universities where the program lasts 2 years and others where it lasts a single year. Normally, the 2-year program is for students with non-business backgrounds such as arts, science or technology; while the 1-year program is for students from business, finance or marketing areas. There are universities that offer the 2 programs such as the Erasmus University in Rotterdam, or the London School of Economics and Political Science; other universities only offer the 1-year program for graduates in business-related areas, for instance, ESADE from Barcelona. A few exceptions such as London Business School offer a 1-year program for non-business graduates. The program is mainly taught in English, with a few exceptions like the Manheim Business School master, which is taught in German.
The admission normally requires taking the GMAT, although some universities accept the GRE exam, and others have their own admission exams. As stated in the beginning, the program is open for students without relevant experience, which is the main feature of the master. The application process is similar to that of the MBA, schools usually require a GMAT score, a proof of English proficiency if needed, at least 2 references and a bunch of essays (sometimes a single letter of motivation). Thus, it is recommendable to plan the application with enough time.

Typical denominations: MSc in Management, MSc in International Business, MSc in International Management, MSc in Business and Economics, Master in Business Engineering.

MSc in Management versus Master in Business Administration
MiMMBA
Designed for Recent Graduates with no work experienceDesigned for Applicants with minimum 2-3 years of relevant work experience
Theory oriented*Practice oriented
Suited for managerial roles in any industry, usually in lower positions than those of the MBA graduates, and PhD in programmes.Suited for managerial roles in any industry and normally DBA program, although also PhD
Originated in EuropeOriginated in the US

* This doesn't mean that the MSc in Management is only a preparation for a PhD in Management Science. The distinction with the MBA is obvious because none of the participants is supposed to have work experience. Nonetheless, a MSc in Management is perfectly suited for people who want to work immediately after graduation.

Top schools by location

What is the CEMS program?
"CEMS is a strategic alliance of leading business schools and multinational companies. Its first mission is to set a global standard of excellence for pre-experience Master’s in management."
In order to apply for the CEMS Master in Management you need to be enrolled in a school of the CEMS Network. In the first months, students take the courses of the program from their home university. Afterwards, students have to do a thesis project along with an Internship that must take place in a different country than that of the home institution. Finally, the last 3-4 months students make an international exchange to another school of the CEMS Network, where they will do a business project in a multicultural team. The CEMS program is opened only for students with business-related backgrounds. Note that the CEMS program is ranked the 1st in the FT rankings for Masters in Management.

What can I expect after the Msc in Management?
This master degree prepares you for a career in consulting, finance, economics, marketing, accounting or management in any industry. The salaries after a 3-year period vary from 32000 to 72000$.

Summary of the Placement Report from Stockholm School of Economics
  • The main destination industries for 2009 were: Investment Banking (22%), Management Consulting (20%), Finance, Banking (14%), Consummer Products (12%), Other Consulting (5%), PR, Marketing, Advertising (5%), Media, Culture (4%) Accounting / Audit (3%).
  • 42% of students found their job more than 6 months prior to graduation, 46% of students found their job between 6 months and graduation time. So 88% of the students had a job upon graduation.
  • Jobs in IB vary from 60 to 80 hours a week, while consulting jobs vary from 55 to 65 hours a week. The industries with less hours per week are PR/Advertising, Media, Culture and Accounting with 40-45 hours a week.
  • If you wish, take a look to the entire Stockholm School of Economics' Placement Report 2009

Summary of the Career Destinations from Manchester Business School
  • Sectors: Consulting (17%), Financial Services (16%), Manufacturing (9%), Technology (7%), Consumer Products (7%).
  • Job Functions: General Management (27%), Finance/Accounting (18%), Marketing/Sales (18%), Consulting (16%).
  • If you wish, take a look to the entire Career Destinations 2008 Report from Manchester Business School

Employment Facts & Figures from HEC Paris
  • 74% of students found a job prior to graduation and the average salary was 67000$.
  • Sectors: Consulting (45%), Finance (18%), Real Estate (9%), Industry, Technology, Tourism, Luxury, Chemicals, Energy (4% each)
  • Functions: Consulting (45%), Finance (14%), Management / Administration (14%), Marketing (9%), Audit (9%).
  • If you wish, visit the entire Employment Facts and Figures from HEC Paris

References
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_ ... Management
Financial Times - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/94251a9a-a70f ... abdc0.html
Financial Times Rankings - http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... management
About CEMS - http://www.cems.org/general/about/strat ... liance.php

Performance: Gmat | Toefl
Contributions: The Idioms Test | All Geometry Formulas | Friendly Error Log | GMAT Analytics
MSc in Management: All you need to know | Student Lifestyle | Class Profiles

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2012, 06:20
HI I am an international student from India for ESCP - Paris Master in Management (english), got through with 50% scholarship for September-2012 intake. I have an experience of 1 yr in tech consulting. Can some one give details of present situation of placements , companies , profile , salary etc .... i heard there is disadvantage for intnl students in terms of getting placed..can some one explain if its true or not ? in general is it worth giving 3 years time to this degree.... Thanks for replying.
Intern
Intern

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 09:17
Hi All,
I am very much keen on doing an MSC in Mgmt in France/Spain/Swiss (Cos i've heard those are the top places to do an msc in mgmt in europe) .

I want to know what are the career prospectives. Ive heard for intl students (im from India) the job opportunities in UK is null(zero).

So I would like to know how it is in France/Spain or any other european nations.?
I would be grateful to whoever replies. :)

Thanks In Advance,
Rohit
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 10:58
Only France is. I've never heard of anyone going for Msc Management in Spain unless it's IE or ESADE.

Language skills are more important than you think in continental Europe. So unless you speak French, Spanish or German you have very weak career prospects in France, Spain and Switzerland. Goes without saying the economy and graduate unemployment rate in EU is unfavourable.

rohitrohitgeorge wrote:
Hi All,
I am very much keen on doing an MSC in Mgmt in France/Spain/Swiss (Cos i've heard those are the top places to do an msc in mgmt in europe) .

I want to know what are the career prospectives. Ive heard for intl students (im from India) the job opportunities in UK is null(zero).

So I would like to know how it is in France/Spain or any other european nations.?

Thanks In Advance,
Rohit
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V34
GPA: 3.1
WE: Sales (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 85

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 02:42
Awesome thread, just what I was looking for; Thanks!

"The Burnout" - My Debrief

Kudos if I helped you ;)

Andy

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 03:18
Hy guys

Many thanks for your post Saruba it helps me a lot ! :-D

I am currently applying for both LSE "Management and Strategy" and HEC "Strategic Management" one year MSc. I would like to start my career in a strategic consulting firm. I have difficulties to make up my mind between those two schools. What would be your advises guys ? :roll:

I am aware that HEC is a business school, according to them "the best business school in Europe" do you agree :roll: ?, and LSE is a university (more courses in HEC, deeper linked to companies and business world), that you have to fulfill an internship for HEC and not for LSE, which is in my opinion a really good thing. The annual registration fees are slightly different as well (LSE a bit more expensive+ accommodation fee in London). Eventually, as far as I know, LSE is more reputed than HEC (am I right ?).

Nonetheless, as I am French, I believe that I would take more advantage for spending one year in London than in Paris, for my English skills, my CV and my personal development.

As for my background I will graduate in 2013 for a top-tier French engineering school (sorry we don't use GPA so I don't know mine). I have 13 months of professional experience including 7 abroad as I have taken a gap year, and I am spending my last year of study in Glasgow.

What are your thoughts guys ? Many thanks in advance for your help :-D
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2012, 16:13
Thanks for this thread it is what I was looking for.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 13:02
Both schools post their recruitment statistics. Have you taken a look at those to see if your target firms recruit at each school?

Both are excellent schools. I really like what I hear about HEC.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 07:11
So suppose I learn the language and in a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best) and i my french knowledge is somwhere around 3-4 .
what are the job prospects.
and are there jobs for good candidates from India ? or is it just that there are simple no jobs for people from outside europe ??

foars wrote:
Only France is. I've never heard of anyone going for Msc Management in Spain unless it's IE or ESADE.

Language skills are more important than you think in continental Europe. So unless you speak French, Spanish or German you have very weak career prospects in France, Spain and Switzerland. Goes without saying the economy and graduate unemployment rate in EU is unfavourable.

rohitrohitgeorge wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks In Advance,
Rohit
Intern
Intern

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 08:18
Hi All,
I have completed my engineering from Mumbai University with 66% aggregate.
While it might seem low compared to other students percentages,a percentage of 60+ in Engineering in Mumbai or Pune university is considered excellent.
How will my application be affected due to this and does the fact that im from Mumbai university prove a disadvantage for me?
I'm really nervous because it'd be really sad if after getting a good percentage in engineering my applications aren't considered good enough because the university gives out lesser percentages.
If possible can anyone guide me as to who to contact to clarify this doubt?

Awaiting your response anxiously.

Thanks and regards,
Aditya.
Intern
Intern

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2013, 06:17
Hi All,

I am looking to pursue Master in International Management for the 2014 intake.
My possible options are as follows -

Country
France
Spain

Duration
2 years
1 year

Other parameters that i am looking at
Placements
Starting salaries
Financial Options

I have already got an offer from ESADE, Barcelona.

My dilemma here is that i was more interested in pursuing my course in France (HEC or ESCP) but have to confirm the ESADE offer before the results of either HEC or ESCP are even out.

Looking for advise as to what would be the best course of action and if its worth the risk to let go ESADE and try for HEC/ESCP. College wise, ESADE fits right into my career goals.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern

Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2014, 22:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,
I am a Indian student, currently pursuing Bachelors of architecture,I am also Pursuing BBA(Bachelors in business administration)(120 credits) in part-time mode I intend to apply for Masters program in Business administration .can u give me a realistic idea if i stand a chance in top EU schools like HEC, ESSEC,ESADE,IE,SSE and so on, and how much should i aim for GMAT ,so that i stand a chance to get into this top schools.

1.I really don't have great marks, on an aggregate consider 62 percentage.
2.However i have worked as a business development intern for 2 years at a real estate portal(internship)
3.Learnt B2 level of french
3.GMAT not yet given.

I just need to know an estimate, i still have 2 years to complete my Bachelors degree and work on a lot on my GMAT, I just want to be realistic in my expectations, and do necessary things to improve my profile.

Thank you !!
Re: All you need to know about the MSc in Management   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2014, 22:07