Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GMAT 1: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 516 [1] , given: 182

GMAT Tests User
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (02:29) correct 24% (01:52) wrong based on 139 sessions
Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions, four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half of the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets.
(A) four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use
(B) an investigation by securities regulators of four investment banks have found all four consistently misusing funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
(C) an investigation of four investment banks by securities regulators has found that all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use
(D) four investment banks were investigated by securities regulators who found all four misusing funds, with many banks deteriorating, and more than half the banks did not use
(E) an investigation by securities regulators has found that, of four investment banks, all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1841 [4] , given: 29

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary measures to artificially support the financial markets and institutions for the greater good of the economy by providing large capital injections to large financial institutions, four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half of the banks did not use the funds for the greater economy, and instead used the money to fuel their risky financial bets.

First, I will say --- I am not particular impressed with either this question or this source. Notice, for example, the split infinitive in the prompt ("to artificially support") ---- that's something you will never see on the real GMAT.

Some issues in the underlined section of the prompt -----
1) The participle "finding" would, in this construction, apply to the subject "many banks", which does not make sense here.
2) three parallel clauses, and only two of them have "that"
//that all four consistently misused funds,
//many banks deteriorated,
and
//that more than half of the banks did not use

We could have one "that" at the beginning, or a single "that" at the beginning of each clause, but we can't have "that" at the first & third clauses, skipping the second.
(A) is clearly incorrect.

(B) an investigation by securities regulators of four investment banks have found all four consistently misusing funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
Failure of parallelism ---- "misusing (participle) .... that many banks deteriorated (full clause) ... banks not using (participle)." This is a disaster. This is incorrect.

(C) an investigation of four investment banks by securities regulators has found that all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use
No obvious problems. Correct parallelism. This is acceptable.

(D) four investment banks were investigated by securities regulators who found all four misusing funds, with many banks deteriorating, and more than half the banks did not use
Failure of parallelism ----- "all four misusing funds (participle), with many banks deteriorating (prepositional phrase), and .... banks did not use (full clause) ...." Another parallelism disaster. This is incorrect.

(E) an investigation by securities regulators has found that, of four investment banks, all four consistently misused funds, that many banks deteriorated, with more than half the banks not using
Another failure of parallelism --- (that clause) + (that clause) + (prepositional phrase) ---- this is incorrect.

The only acceptable answer possible is (C), the OA.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1841 [2] , given: 29

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
atalpanditgmat wrote:
yes it is clear but i still look forward for some examples to polish my understanding.

kindly give some examples if possible..
thank You..

Dear Atalpanditgmat,
Sure, here are a few examples. First of all, in the OG13,
in SC #10, a "theory holds that..."
in SC #16, a "surge in new home sales ... suggests ...."
in SC #18, "the National Academy of Science has urged ..."
in SC #75, "cities are stressing the arts ..."
Those are a few examples in the OG of larger non-personal nouns taking personal actions.

It would also be perfectly acceptable to talk about ----
... an investigation has found ...
... an exploration of X has revealed ....
... experimentation with X has found ...
... a new understanding of X holds that ...

My friend, I am going to recommend that you make a regular practice of reading a good newspaper, such as the NYT or WSJ, or even better, the Economist Magazine.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-reading-list/
In any sophisticated news source, you will see an abundance of phrasings just like these.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 566 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
monirjewel wrote:
(A) four investment banks have been investigated by securities regulators, finding that all four consistently misused funds, many banks deteriorated, and that more than half the banks did not use

Hii.
It was a lengthy question.
First understand the meaning of the sentence.
After 3 years of something, y happens. Result:
i) four banks consistently misused funds.
ii)many banks deteriorated.
iii) more than half of the banks did not use the money for greater economy but for their self interest.
We have to look for this meaning in a correctly written sentence.
Choice A merges two ICs without any proper conjunction. Moreover, the usage of "four banks were investigated" following the clause "almost 3 years after the bla bla bla" implies a different meaning.
B has SVA issue. "investigation" is singular.
D and E change the meaning. In addition to this, D is not parallel.
Regards.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1841 [1] , given: 29

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
atalpanditgmat wrote:
Hello Mike, Would you mind clearing my doubt?

In this option i thought how can an investigation find something, it must be human to do so?

Is my observation valid in this case? :(

Regards
Atal Pandit

Dear Atal,
I'm sorry to say, but I think you are splitting hairs too much. If the noun were a concrete object, then yes, we could say --- a concrete object could not find anything: it must be a human. But here, the noun is "an investigation" --- that means, a bunch of people investigating. At no time is the investigation taking place that there aren't real human people doing the investigating. It's an irreducibly human action, so it most certainly can "find" things. Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 08:52
Hello Mike, Would you mind clearing my doubt?

In this option i thought how can an investigation find something, it must be human to do so?

Is my observation valid in this case? :(

Regards
Atal Pandit

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.83
WE: Accounting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 23

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 20:05
yes it is clear but i still look forward for some examples to polish my understanding.

kindly give some examples if possible..
thank You..

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful.

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 67

Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 10:12
C must be the correct answer. It uses the parallel structure "that" in all the parts of the descriptors.
In D the major fault is it avoids parallelism...use should be written as using..
I believe entire question is just based on parallelism.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!

Archit
Re: Almost 3 years after the Federal Reserve introduced monetary   [#permalink] 21 May 2013, 10:12