Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 08:15
Between A and B
A extreme
B should be mitigaded by deacidification, not almost all

I pick A

time is not on my side

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2006, 15:03
I go for A. I'm not that disturbed about the 'completly'.

Someone who's dying will be one day dead. :die
Thus a book destroying itself will be one day destroyed!

Almost everyone choosing B says he's going for B because A extreme. But why do you choose B?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:acidic paper [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 10:15
I agree that the choice is between A and B and I would choose B.

The stem says Almost all books were on acidic paper and all acidic paper gradually destroys itself. In other words Almost all books gradually destroy themselves.

A is not right because if the book was not on acidic paper then it will probably not deteriorate completely.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 11:24
like most of you, I also selected B but the OA is A. This is a LsAT question so no OE is given
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2006, 11:29
I suppose you could argue that there are a lot of books that have significant historical value and thus will be saved and thus less than almost all books will be destroyed.

Keep on asking, and it will be given you;
keep on seeking, and you will find;
keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you.

Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 08:28
I still think it's (B). In (A), what if the book wasn't printed on acidic paper in the first place? The premise clearly states that NOT all books in the past 150 years were printed on acidic paper. :?:
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR:acidic paper [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 08:52
OK, I think I got it now. I was also between choosing A and B...

What B is saying is that almost all books published...will gradually destroy themselves, but the statements in the passage do not mention if most books published then are considered historical or not. Therefore, we can't know for sure if most or just a small fraction of the books will be saved.

A clears this up, not by mentioning how many of them are historical, but by simply stating that if X and Y are true, then C will happen (deteriorate).
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR:acidic paper [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2006, 10:55
gmacvik wrote:
Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years were printed on acidic paper. Unfortunately, every kind of acidic paper gradually destroys itself due to its very acidity. This process of deterioration can be slowed if the books are stored in a cool, dry environment. Techniques, which are now being developed, to deacidify books will probably be applied only to books with historical significance.
If all of the statements in the passage above are true, which one of the following must also be true?
(A) If a book was published in the past 150 years and is historically insignificant, it will probably deteriorate completely.
(B) Almost all of the books published in the past 150 years will gradually destroy themselves.
(C) Almost all of the books that gradually deteriorate are made of acidic paper.
(D) If a book is of historical significance and was printed before 150 years ago, it will be deacidified.
(E) Books published on acidic paper in 1900 should now all be at about the same state of deterioration.

For whatever it's worth - I had chosen A. And I had discarded B because it says almost all books published in the past 150 yrs will gradually destroy themselves ---- SAVE however the books (if any) with historical significance WHO THE STEM SAYS WILL BE PRESERVED --- so this stmt has at least ONE untrue condition.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 11:56
I go with A.
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2006, 11:56