Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [70]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [15]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618969 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven [#permalink]
Bookmarks
narrowed down to b n c

c mentions "only". i ll go with b
Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven [#permalink]
Kudos
ajit257 wrote:
Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?

a.Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
b.There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
c.Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
d.There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
e.Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.

Need to clarify an imp concept. Would appreciate you responses. Will provide oa later.

A: outside the scope
B: only a repetition of the evidence shown by the consumer
D: weakens the argument
E: outside the scope

=> C: microwave ovens are not totally safe (fact) and since there is no other criterion by which they can be judged to be acceptable as standard, the consumer advocates are right.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3525 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
OA is C. But i have a question to ask. I was told that choices that contain strong words like 'only' are mostly wrong choices so can someone help me out over here so i don't make this mistake again.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [1]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Kudos
ajit257 wrote:
OA is C. But i have a question to ask. I was told that choices that contain strong words like 'only' are mostly wrong choices so can someone help me out over here so i don't make this mistake again.

fair reflection.

is correct what you say in general, but sometimes the context is also important.

For istance: what you say could be used when you have two choices and this strategy can make the difference, but in this case we have ONE choice that overall is logic; hence is not important that there is an extreme word.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
C is the right answer.

If it is TRUE that absolute safety should be the sole standardization criterion, then advocate's argument is enhanced greatly.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [2]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?

Pr.1: MO has become a standard appliance
Pr.2: MOs are not completely safe as has sometimes resulted into serious injuries.
Conc.: CAs: MOs should not be accepted as standard appliances until they are certified as completely safe.
=> Complete Safety --> Certification of Standard Appliance

For Cause-effect Strengthen type Questions, If X-->Y then,
1. only X shall lead to Y [ X --> Y ]
2. Y does not lead to X [ Y -/-> X ]
3. No other factor leads to Y [ Z -/-> Y ]
4. Non-occurrence of X leads to non-occurrence of Y [ -X --> -Y ]
5. Data given in the stem is Correct i.e. no error in data provided such as survey, sampling, group etc.

Now, for said Question, we can count it as Cause-effect type strengthen type. Therefore, whatever choice reinforces the idea further will be correct answer. Only 'C' seems to qualify for that.

a. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking - Question is about safety of MO and not side-effects of MOs in our daily life hence Irrelevant.
b. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens - IMO this options seems to weaken instead strengthening the argument because it is saying super-heated liquid are responsible for injuries or burn and not some fault in MO.It might be the case the uses did not read manual properly or he did not know how to operate the oven and he set high temp. which caused injury.

c. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.” - Go with one of our pre-thinkings that Only X-->Y hence Correct.
d. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance - If this is not helping the conclusion then in someway it is breaking the conclusion.
e. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens - OFS

Correct me if I am wrong in my reasoning or else give kudos if It helps you in someway.... :)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31925 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Almost every modern kitchen today is equipped with a microwave oven, mainly because microwave ovens offer a fast and convenient way of cooking and reheating food. Indeed, it has become a standard appliance in most households. Studies have shown, however, that microwave ovens are not completely safe and their use has occasionally resulted in serious injury. Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe. Which of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument of the consumer advocates?

A. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.
out of context..we are talking of safety only

B. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.
It is more to do with individual fault than the safety of ovens..

C. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”
CORRECT.. three points..
1)studies have shown oven is not completely safe..
2)second point said is consumer advocates not to accept it as standard appliances..
3)these two points are connected through this choice..

D. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance.
No effect, may be to some extent weakening the raguement

E. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.
out of context

Ans C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8809 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM

Type - strengthen

The passage makes the premise that microwave ovens are not completely safe.This is followed by a conclusion by the consumer advocates that microwave ovens should not be accepted as standard appliances. Since there is nothing in the passage that provides an explicit link between the safety of microwave ovens and their acceptability as standard appliances, the consumer advocates’ conclusion is based on an assumption (i.e., an implied premise) that “an appliance should be accepted as standard only if it is found to be completely safe.” The most effective way to strengthen such a conclusion is to show that such an assumption is indeed true.

A. Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking.- Irrelvant

B. There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens.- Providing a specific example of how a person might be injured, even seriously, by a microwave oven may provide emotional support for the consumer advocates’ position, but does little to strengthen the argument logically: the
possibility of injury has already been stipulated as a premise.

C. Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.”-Correct

D. There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance. - If no appliance is completely safe, then the consumer advocates’ argument is absurd: no appliance is, or ever will be, acceptable as “standard” in a modern kitchen. This choice weakens the conclusion.

E. Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens.- Irrelevant

Answer C
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Conclusion: Because of this, some consumer advocates argue that microwave ovens should not be so readily accepted as a standard appliance until they can be certified to be completely safe.

(A) Microwave ovens have taken much of the joy out of cooking. -> Irrelevant.

(B) There have been many reported incidences of people who have been scalded by liquids superheated in microwave ovens. -> It doesn't talk about safety standard. Incorrect.

(C) Absolute safety is the only criterion by which an appliance should be judged to be acceptable as “standard.” -> It is better than B, as it supports the conclusion of the argument.

(D) There is no such thing as a completely safe appliance. -> Irrelevant.

(E) Stoves and ovens that use natural gas consume energy much more efficiently than microwave ovens. -> It is weakening the argument. Incorrect.

So, I think C. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
CONCLUSION - Microwave ovens should not be treated as standard until they are certified to be safe

GIVEN -
1) Almost every modern kitchen has microwave oven
2) Microwave provides a benefit of fast and convenient cooking and reheating
3) Microwave is a standard appliance
4) Not completely safe as their use has ocassionally resulted in serious injury

STRENGTHNER - What new information increases the belief in the conclusion?

ANSWER CHOICE ANALYSIS -

A) Joy of cooking not mentioned in the argument
B) Occurrence of many incidents does not affect the conclusion
C) CORRECT - Safety and criteria both are present in the conclusion
D) Actually weakens the argument
E) Comparison with stoves and oven does not affect the conclusion
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts