Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Meaning/Logical Predicationx   Modifiersx   Pronounsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]
look at choice b and e, one of the differences is "its homogeneity" and "their homogeneity".

logically, we can not say "its homoeneity' because "homogeneity" is used to say about the similarity of many entities. we need more than one entities before we say about their homogeneity.

we can say the "surface's homogeneity". this could be correct but this meaning can not apply in this sentence.

so, "their homogeneity" is correct and "Its homogeneity" is incorrect.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: Almost like clones in their similarity to one another, the cheetah spe [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Shef08 wrote:
The one thing that this sentence glaringly points out is in the non underlined portion where the pronoun used is Plural. So we are to look for a plural subject. The sentence “ Almost like clones in their similarity to one another” should be modifying the species itself and not the homogeneity. However if the sentence just uses species, it is considered as singular. Following this rule, A,B,C, and D are out. That leaves us with a long phrase E, which is clear and concise in meaning.

Hi Shef08,

Correct. With a plural their, we don't want the singular species in option B (we know it is singular because of the is and its after it). We also don't want homogeneity as the subject (options A, C, and D).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 111
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun wrote:
Shef08 wrote:
The one thing that this sentence glaringly points out is in the non underlined portion where the pronoun used is Plural. So we are to look for a plural subject. The sentence “ Almost like clones in their similarity to one another” should be modifying the species itself and not the homogeneity. However if the sentence just uses species, it is considered as singular. Following this rule, A,B,C, and D are out. That leaves us with a long phrase E, which is clear and concise in meaning.

Hi Shef08,

Correct. With a plural their, we don't want the singular species in option B (we know it is singular because of the is and its after it). We also don't want homogeneity as the subject (options A, C, and D).

Thank you AjiteshArun, this helps to know that am learning in the correct direction!!! Big thank you!!!!

Shefali

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Much of the action is in the non-underlined portion of this sentence: “Almost like clones in their similarity to one another...” That phrase includes the plural pronoun “their”, so it needs to be followed by a plural noun that could reasonably be described as “like clones” in terms of their similarity to each other.

With that in mind…

Quote:
(A) the cheetah species’ homogeneity makes them especially vulnerable to disease

(A) definitely doesn’t work, because “the cheetah species’ homogeneity” is singular, and it’s unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

So (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) the cheetah species is especially vulnerable to disease because of its homogeneity

The trouble here is that “the cheetah species” is singular, and once again, a singular species can’t logically be described as “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.” (And in case you’re wondering: yes, “species” can also be plural, but in this case, it’s followed by “is”, and then “its” refers back to “species” later in the sentence. So “species” is definitely singular in this particular sentence.)

We can eliminate (B), too.

Quote:
(C) the homogeneity of the cheetah species makes it especially vulnerable to disease

(C) repeats the exact same error as (A): “the homogeneity” is singular, and it’s still totally unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

That takes care of (C).

Quote:
(D) homogeneity makes members of the cheetah species especially vulnerable to disease

(D) rearranges a few things, but the heart of the problem is still completely the same as in (A) and (C): “homogeneity” is singular, and it’s once again unreasonable to say that the “homogeneity” is “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

(D) is gone, and I really hope we like (E), or else we’ll be starting over…

Quote:
(E) members of the cheetah species are especially vulnerable to disease because of their homogeneity

Yup, this is fine! “Members” is plural, and it makes sense to say that “members of the cheetah species” are “almost like clones in their similarity to one another.”

“Their” also jumps out at me at the end of the sentence, and that’s fine, too: “their” refers to “members of the cheetah species.”

So (E) is our winner.

Is it possible that “their could refer to clones?

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM